2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 65 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396732 - 16/04/05 04:50 AM POLL on Steering Systems
alliedacid Offline

I just bought and final recieved the Calmini SS. planing on installing it on Sunday.
Should I not bother and return it and save a bit more and get the SLR kit???

I have not read anything ever negitive about the SLR kit, but is that because no one is spending the cash to get it?? Who has it?

#396733 - 16/04/05 08:49 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
The Calmini steering system is fine. When I was running mine I had no issues. Keep everything lubed and call Calmini during the install if you have any questions (torque specs etc...).
Overall I feel the Calmini system is stronger (I had the SLR system at one point so I know from what I speak).

-Doug

#396734 - 16/04/05 09:12 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
alliedacid Offline

See that is my delma, the SLR kit is made out of remaufactured parts that are gusseted. Follow my logic.

Say I buy the SLR kit, I would also try for the core exchange. granted since I have 130,000 miles on the OEM steering and many hard off road trips plus I have the SLR Stage 3+ lift and larger tires, my OEM steering is shot. Will Spencer give me a rebate, OUTLOOK LOW. But will he still use the parts I sent him, smart business says yes. Now the next guy who orders will receive my beat part remaufacured/gusseted. So how much better is a remade SLR kit than a brand new OEM kit. I don't know?

Now the Calmini parts are so beefy that I will worry about breaking my steering box. The pitman arm must weigh 10+ lbs. of steel. as for torque settings the Ider arm and brace came preasembled. and the Idler arm bolt has a crush nut on it so I'm not changing that.

But how come they make such crappy bushings?

#396735 - 16/04/05 09:21 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by alliedacid:

But how come they make such crappy bushings?
I don't think is as much a problem of "crappy bushings" as much as it is a problem that all the wear occurs in just one area. The idler arm does not move that much. If not kept lubricated then the wear will be greatly accelerated.

So many people think that this is a fire and forget solution. That is dangerous thinking. Just like any machine, if you do not keep the parts in good working order they are going to fail. That applies from everything from an F16 to a tricycle.

#396736 - 17/04/05 10:04 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

No comment [Freak]

#396737 - 18/04/05 08:15 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
Quote:
[QB]See that is my delma, the SLR kit is made out of remaufactured parts that are gusseted. Follow my logic.

Say I buy the SLR kit, I would also try for the core exchange. granted since I have 130,000 miles on the OEM steering and many hard off road trips plus I have the SLR Stage 3+ lift and larger tires, my OEM steering is shot. Will Spencer give me a rebate, OUTLOOK LOW. But will he still use the parts I sent him, smart business says yes. Now the next guy who orders will receive my beat part remaufacured/gusseted. So how much better is a remade SLR kit than a brand new OEM kit. I don't know?

QB]
Well that's silly...
What can wear out on the pitman arm? It's merely blasted, reinforced then powdercoated. The idler bushings are replaced with brass, the rest is blasted, reinforced and powdercoated. The idler mount is completely fabbed, the centerlink is completely fabbed.

Not saying either is better, just understand the part your concerned about being thrashed are prety hard to mess up... Provided the parts are not damaged (idler bushings excluded), I see no reason you'd not get the core exchange... If not, I cetainly wouldn't surrended them.

I think more folks have the Calmini, so you hear more bitching about it when things go wrong.
I've heard of zero beefs with the SLR steering system... myself included.

#396738 - 18/04/05 08:36 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Been happy with my SLR.....

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#396739 - 18/04/05 11:21 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
Not saying either is better, just understand the part your concerned about being thrashed are prety hard to mess up... Provided the parts are not damaged (idler bushings excluded), I see no reason you'd not get the core exchange... If not, I cetainly wouldn't surrended them.
I sent in several of my spares as cores to SLR. I knew I wasnt going to get full core refund on some of the more beaten up ones, so I gave him my spares as well to help even it out.
He has a Jig that they put the stock Idler arms and pitman ars in. If they are bent, or tiwsted or anything, even a little you will not get full core charge back.

My SLR steering kit has worked perfectly for me for the past 2 years easily.
Actually now is the first time that I am changing the Idler arm bushings because there is a little play in it. I guess enough play for it to fail NY state safety inspection.
New SLR Bronze bushings were around $55 shipped and got them within a week or so. Now I just need to get them pressed in so steering will be good as new.
And to clarify, I did NOT do the required maintainence on the Idler arm. If I took better care of it, no doubt it would have lasted longer than the 2 years I had it..
Everything else is solid on the steering system on my truck.
Good luck..

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#396740 - 18/04/05 11:47 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
alliedacid Offline

well considering that I can not get my pitman arm off the truck I may be going with the SLR kit anyway...I'll just skip the Pitman arm upgrade. As long as Calmini hooks up a refund. I tried everything except cutting it off. (NO heat). 7-ton puller and no progress.

#396741 - 18/04/05 12:08 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well just my two cents: If I had the option to replace my steering again based on my experience with the Calmini Steering kit. I would go with the SLR system. I still may switch anyway to the SLR system. Dollars being the factor at this time, my calmini kit is less than 3 months old. Dealing with this Idler arm issue and lack of customer support being the main reason. People can say what they want for the reasons of the failure, but in my particular case I have followed all the guidelines and recommendations for this kit, I see it as just a poor design flaw, and a company just tired of hearing about it. Most of the supporters of this flaw are people that have a link to Calmini anyway and dont want to bite the hand that feed them.

Again this just my opinion, No response is nessasary.

#396742 - 18/04/05 03:35 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
well considering that I can not get my pitman arm off the truck I may be going with the SLR kit anyway...I'll just skip the Pitman arm upgrade. As long as Calmini hooks up a refund. I tried everything except cutting it off. (NO heat). 7-ton puller and no progress.
Why don't you just get a pal with an impact gun? Use it on the puller and it should come off without a problem.
Why should Calmini give you a refund? Is there anything wrong with the product? Did it not show up complete? Put the kit on and you will be fine.

-Doug

#396743 - 18/04/05 03:55 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of our guys up here had new bushings made for us to replace the stock Calmini ones. I haven't installed mine yet but the feedback so far is excellent. He used much high strengths of material.

Just an FYI

#396744 - 21/04/05 07:57 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
alliedacid Offline

what material did he use?

#396745 - 21/04/05 11:00 AM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had the SLR one on my pickup for over 2 years and have the Calmini one on my Xterra now. Both solve the problem and both are extremely durable in offroad conditions....you won't have problems with either one.

And surprise....they BOTH wear out ilder arm bushings.

#396746 - 22/04/05 01:54 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=60;t=000183;p=4

read the post by greenSOXC... its about half way down the page...

#396747 - 23/04/05 05:56 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I have about 15K or so on the Calmini steering kit, no problems...I grease it every 2-3K or so with Mobil1 Grease.

The synthetic grease has worked well for me on other parts/applications...so I hope it does the trick here too.

I also have, as backup, a set of experimental higher quality bushings from xterraxcursions....so if the Cal's fail, I have a new set to swap in w/o downtime.

Bushings wear out, they're bushings....its all a matter of when.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#396748 - 23/04/05 08:38 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where can I get this replacement bushings set? I will gladly send my hard earned cash to get a replacement if everyone that has them has been satisfied to this point. Does the replacement set have the grooves cut into them as once mentioned for the grease? Just curious about that point but would still like to get a hold of a set. Is it just me or is it weird that I have more faith in fellow members than I do in the manufacturer of the steering system? :rolleyes:

#396749 - 27/04/05 12:59 PM Re: POLL on Steering Systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

we have a set for sale at SOXC.ORG

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal