shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396849 - 17/06/04 06:18 PM Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
w00dy Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
I have the Calmini Steering kit installed in my Xterra. The bronze bushing is wearing out quickly (less than a year old)causing the right-hand wheel to have too much play.

Talking to others that have the same kit installed are seeing the same problem.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Woody

#396850 - 18/06/04 08:00 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Yup, call Calmini and ask them for the replacement bushing (black) and they will send it to you at no cost.

Catchya on the flip side! wink

#396851 - 18/06/04 08:27 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Yup, call Calmini and ask them for the replacement bushing (black) and they will send it to you at no cost.
Still bronze. The black bushings are the new ones for the control arms.

#396852 - 18/06/04 12:06 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
I'm having this same problem, along with a knocking off road. I called Calmini and they said that it was a "non issue" and said to check the tightness on the idler arm bolt as well as the rest of the system. Well , its f'ing tight but still have a knocking.The system definatly has a huge advatage over stock but somthing just isn't right.

#396853 - 18/06/04 04:19 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
jorge Offline

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Now didn't someone figure a way to shove bearings in there?

How did that work out?

Plethora of photos , videos , a Phlog ,
and a site with kittens .
www.njax.net
NJAX.net profile
--------------------
Homer, I see your daughter is one of those wave-kissing, Dukakis-hugging moon maidens.

#396854 - 23/06/04 08:24 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
I've been waiting since April....

Ian, are you saying they are replacing the bushings in the control arms too??

#396855 - 23/06/04 10:57 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by aquamander:
Ian, are you saying they are replacing the bushings in the control arms too??
They have been for a while if you have the older white UCA bushings.

#396856 - 24/06/04 07:16 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
aquamander Offline

What do I have to do to get those? Is it something they are replacing, or is it something I have to purchase? Interesting.

Why are they replacing them anyway? due to the squeaking problem? Are they breaking? What gives?

Thanks for the info BTW, I don't want to call them anymore. I'm on the hate list I believe.

#396857 - 24/06/04 07:32 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
The white ones squeak. Just call Calmini and they will send you new ones for free.

I have the bronze bushing problem too. The first original bushing lasted for about 6 months, then it got sloppy as hell with knocking noises on small street and offroad bumps. Calmini sent me a new bushing that suppossed to be "better". Now this one is lasting about 6 months too. I'm back to the sloppy-knocking sounds again. I haven't called Calmini again yet about the problem.

Again, the Calmini steering is something that is really tough and needed for a lift, but this bronze bushing crap sucks.

#396858 - 24/06/04 06:31 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
They sent me a set of the black bushings for the A arms and it took care of the squeaking and the slop in the drivers side A arm. It got to the point that everytime I changed directions, it made a loud clunk that you could feel as well. The bushing was shot and the A arms was shifting.

#396859 - 28/06/04 06:45 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
I called Calmini and got put on a 'waiting list' for the replacement idler arm assembly w/ the new bushings, but it's been about 4+ weeks...time to call and find out what the deal is.

My upper a-arm bushings used to squeek, but I found that either synthetic bicycle or motorcycle chain lube eliminates the noise. It's been 3 months or more and I haven't heard a peep. the stuff works well for all kinds of bushing noise.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#396860 - 29/06/04 02:59 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
NthLJ Offline

Speak of the devil...I got the parts in today. The phone works people, give them a call and they will take care of you [Wave]

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#396861 - 29/06/04 08:36 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
aquamander Offline

That's great news for you Charlie. Doesn't change the fact I've been waiting since the beginning of April..wonder where my parts are?

many mods on my truck are Calmini with the exception of my bullbar and sliders. My UCA's, rear bumper, steering, including extra tie rod adjusters. (in the unlikely event I would break one) are from Calmini. I guess I thought they would be better at taking care of return customers....

#396862 - 30/06/04 06:53 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
NthLJ Offline

The only thing I can suggest is to call them directly. The customer service guy put me on a waiting list for a new idler arm assembly (not just bushings)--You install the new one and ship the old one back to them. Labels are included in the box. They have always been really good about sending things out, though our schedules don't completely mesh at times. Call them.

#396863 - 30/06/04 04:18 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
w00dy Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, Utah
Thanks for the input gang - called Calmini and they are completely replacing the idler arm piece with a new one - just need to ship back the problem one.

Cheers laugh

#396864 - 14/08/04 08:39 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
Hi,

Please check this Calmini idler arm play (video, 3.45 MB) .

Will be fixed by the bushings provided by Calmini?

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#396865 - 14/08/04 10:47 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
Abiel,

Yeah, the new bushings will solve taht problem for a little while. I've replaced mine 3 or 4 times at Calmini's expense and it's doing the same thing again. Not as bad as yours but there is some play.

#396866 - 14/08/04 11:21 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
chupasierras Offline

Thank you Dana ...

Well, if the bushings aren´t the final solution, should I ask Calmini for a new idler arm?

I know that Calmini is sending new idler arms , how do I know if I apply for a new one?

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#396867 - 16/08/04 11:39 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Xcited Offline

Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada (Eh!)
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerguy38:
They sent me a set of the black bushings for the A arms and it took care of the squeaking and the slop in the drivers side A arm. It got to the point that everytime I changed directions, it made a loud clunk that you could feel as well. The bushing was shot and the A arms was shifting.
Yep, I had the same problem Dana! Couldn't figure out what the hell it was for the life of me at first though. My replacement bushings were not black though, they were green...
Member: Toronto Area Rover Club (TARC)
Home Page: XterraXcursions

#396868 - 16/08/04 03:46 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Biohazard Offline

Loc: Rogers AR
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]Yup, call Calmini and ask them for the replacement bushing (black) and they will send it to you at no cost.
Still bronze. The black bushings are the new ones for the control arms.[/b]
I just got my replacement control arm bushings in July & they are green now.

#396869 - 17/08/04 08:12 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]Yup, call Calmini and ask them for the replacement bushing (black) and they will send it to you at no cost.
I just got my replacement control arm bushings in July & they are green now.[/b]
I have the green ones and they squeek like a bitch!

#396870 - 17/08/04 11:45 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I have a Calmini steering kit in the garage...

I'm wondering how long to wait to actually install the kit, it seems like its just not ready to go on in final form yet...

Is a final fix scheduled?

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#396871 - 21/09/04 05:29 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was reading all of your post regarding the Calmini steering issues. I purchased a steering system six months ago and installed it on my Frontier. Today I went to have a re-alignment done and we noticed that the idler arm bushings are worn out and sloppy. I called Calmini today and the are sending me the ider arm bushing and sleeve replacement kit. Only one thing I really wanted to mention was they (Calmini) said that the idler arm assembly needed to be greased as often as you change your motor oil or at least every 3000 to 3500K miles on vehicles with suspension lifts. They said if you didn't re-grease it often that the bushings would wear out and fast due to the added stress of the suspension lift.......

BTW: To purchase this kit from Calmini for the idler arm which includes four replacement bushings and a new sleeve will run $39.95+shipping.

#396872 - 23/09/04 08:11 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
KCX Offline

Loc: Kansas
Why do you or anyone else have to spend over $40 for a defect Calmini can't figure out? I'm ready for my third set of idler arm bushings...I don't even care about the whole assembly, just send me some more weak bushings I can put in myself and hopefully it will last other 5-6 months.

#396873 - 20/10/04 07:51 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
I just got my replacement control arm bushings in July & they are green now.[/b]
I have the green ones and they squeek like a bitch!
Who else having trouble with the green UCAs bushings?

Abiel
www.abielg.com

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal