2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#396874 - 20/10/04 12:21 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
rfritz Offline

Loc: Indianapolis
I am bummed out after reading all of these posts. I haven't purchased the Calmini steering yet and am waiting until I see a permanent fix for the bushings. Does anyone with the SLR kit have these problems? What exactly is causing the worn bushings? Is it a problem with not lubing the idler arm zerk often?

#396875 - 20/10/04 02:01 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by rfritz:
........Does anyone with the SLR kit have these problems?........
I have not.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#396876 - 20/10/04 05:11 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
My Calmini steering is fine. I love it.

I've only put a little over a thousand miles on it though...so, I am looking foward to any resolution that develops. ( I bought the stuff almost a year ago, just got around to installing it....)

I am really hoping it turns out to be a lubrication issue, as I am pretty good about lubing stuff lately.

smile

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#396877 - 22/10/04 05:24 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
Quote:
Originally posted by Abiel Guerra:
Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Yup, call Calmini and ask them for the replacement bushing (black) and they will send it to you at no cost.
Still bronze. The black bushings are the new ones for the control arms.[/b]
I just got my replacement control arm bushings in July & they are green now.[/b]
I have the green ones and they squeek like a bitch!
Who else having trouble with the green UCAs bushings?

JFYI, people at Calmini told me that all the new UCAs bushings are made of Vecton , and it comes in different colors.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#396878 - 22/10/04 08:22 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
TJ Offline

Maybe the bronze bushings could be replaced with this stuff too?

http://www.vesconite.com/industry/applications/transport/back_hoe_loader.htm

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#396879 - 29/10/04 03:28 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well confirmed my Idler Arm Bushings have failed.

Only SIX MONTHS after install and the play is very obvious especially after we put it on a lift.

#396880 - 29/10/04 06:08 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
I'm trying to have some made locally out of stronger material. I don't want to pay $40 for another set that will fail in 6 months or less. Mine is so bad now that it it very loose on the highway. Short of that I may pull it off and go with the SLR setup. They people I know running it have not had any problems yet.

#396881 - 29/10/04 07:04 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpine Spirit:
Well confirmed my Idler Arm Bushings have failed.

Only SIX MONTHS after install and the play is very obvious especially after we put it on a lift.
mine's only been 3 months....July 31st was the install

#396882 - 30/11/04 07:50 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well after many miles it is still holding up and the bushings fixed the play in the steering wheel.

#396883 - 14/12/04 01:19 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Xcited Offline

Loc: Guelph, Ontario, Canada (Eh!)
One of our members in SOXC works for a metals company and knows metals and their applications pretty well. Through him we have spec'd a heavier duty bronze for the bushings and are also going to use a stainless steel sleeve to replace the ones Calmini supplies with the kit.

He assures me that if kept properly lubricated once installed, we may NEVER wear out these new ones. They will be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Once installed we will monitor them continually for performance and wear/play and report back. If they work out well I will post what materials we are using for those that also want to go the custom route.
Member: Toronto Area Rover Club (TARC)
Home Page: XterraXcursions

#396884 - 14/12/04 02:20 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
TJ Offline

Great news.

Lets re-cap.

1. Stock steering fails repeatedly at weak parts.

2. We buy Calmini to replace weak parts.

3. Calmini fails repeatedly.

4. We buy SOXC found part to replace weak Calmini.

5. ?

[Freak]

#396885 - 14/12/04 02:43 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcited:
One of our members in SOXC works for a metals company and knows metals and their applications pretty well. Through him we have spec'd a heavier duty bronze for the bushings and are also going to use a stainless steel sleeve to replace the ones Calmini supplies with the kit.

He assures me that if kept properly lubricated once installed, we may NEVER wear out these new ones. They will be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Once installed we will monitor them continually for performance and wear/play and report back. If they work out well I will post what materials we are using for those that also want to go the custom route.
Damn if mine fail again is it possible to get a set? How much?

#396886 - 15/12/04 06:43 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Xcited Offline

We *may* have an extra 4-5 sets available, once ready. If interested, email me at pete@XterraXcursions.com The extra sets will go out first-come-first-served. FYI - we are doing this at cost, we are NOT profiting from it.

Bare in mind that we are using superior materials that should last a LOT longer, but there are no guarantees until we have them on our own trucks and get a chance to really test them...

#396887 - 27/12/04 11:40 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Calmini steering system on my 01 Frontier and wore out the first set of idler arm bushings in less than six months. I didn't purchase the steering from Calmini direct but from another member here who had bought it for his Xterra but then decided to sell his X before he installed the steering. So with that said, I had to purchase the replacement bushings (approx $50.00) for the idler arm and now it seems that I have came accross yet another problem with the idler arm. I was told by Calmini that the first set was wore out due to not regreasing it every 3500 miles or sooner. So after installing the new bushings (with grease) I had notice that when it was time to grese it that I can't pump any new/fresh grease into the grease fitting at the idler arm housing. I first though that it was just a dirty and cloggged fitting so I used a small ice pick to push in on the grease fitting and wouldn't you know it grease started to come back out of the fitting at the idler arm like it was under pressure, so I know that it has grease in it. But once again I still can't pump any more grease into it...Now does anyone know what is up with not being able to pump fresh grease into the ider arm assembley. I though the grease would be able to purdge out and around the top and bottom idler arm bushings but it doesn't.......

#396888 - 27/12/04 01:43 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
After installing the new bushings I also can't get any grease in. I figure they will wear really fast now. I try every few weeks. Another guy I know is having the same thing happen to him. Not sure what it means. confused

#396889 - 27/12/04 06:52 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Noticed the same problem, I believe it has to do with the tight/interference fit with the bushings and the idler arm (I actually had to press the bushings into the idler arm).

I've replaced them out about 2 months ago and have wheeled it twice since, so far no problem (knock on wood).

#396890 - 27/12/04 08:04 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Xcited Offline

Same problem here, but not as drastic, just have to really jam on that grease gun! This is one of the things I had considered in the new bushings we are fabricating right now. One thing I thought about was machining grooves into the outside of the bushings both around the diameter (maybe 2-3) as well as along the length of the sleeve (maybe 4-5). With enough pressure applied they would allow the grease to be "chanelled" between the bushings and the idler arm bore. My only concern was possibility of increased wear due to the grooves, so I decided against it right now. Just have to see how the new material goes for the time being and hope that does the trick. Only a couple weeks to go and they'll be ready.

#396891 - 07/02/05 01:10 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

How have these new bushings that have been designed working out? I am ready to change to something that actually works myself so am very willing to pay for a "prototype". That's what I did when I bought the Calmini unit anyway, right? I think the grooves on the bushing should work as long as they don't have a sharp edge to them. A smoothed edge should greatly reduce any chance of excessive wear. [Huh?]

#396892 - 08/02/05 09:33 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why is no one holding Calmini responsible for their faulty product? Shouldn't they be replacing the parts? I don't understand why they are not addressing this and offering a solution.

Can someone from Calmini offer any response?

When I upgrade my steering, I'm avoiding Calmini like the plague.

#396893 - 08/02/05 11:09 AM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Go ahead and avoid them like the plague. What you have not digested in this entire thread, and on this board, is that the issue is one that is suffered by all solutions right now (Calminis and SLRs). The problem is not the design but the strength of the components. Any other material that could do what the bushing is doing and not wear out is beyond our price range.

The Calmini SS is well worth the $489. If you don't believe that is true go spend $129 on the Nissan original and plan to replace it every other weekend, if you ever get out to wheel. Plan on putting your life on the line when it fatigues and wears out prematurely, and prepare to keep your fustrations to yourself. Modifying the angles on the steering is going to put stress somewhere. Would you rather not have a system that keeps you alive and well?

Yes, the solution has been difficult to get. The only option we have is to maintain the idler arm with lots of grease. Rotate it if you can. Replace the bronze bushings as necessary.

Your negative comments will get you nowhere.

OK, done. Be safe and happy wheeling.

#396894 - 08/02/05 12:39 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dude, I made no negative comment. That's why I asked if someone from Calmini would offer a response. I'd like to here it from them also.

My point was I dont want to spend $489 and then $40 or more a month to replace the bushings. Unless Calmini proives a solution I will go with SLR when I decide to purchase.

Settle down.

#396895 - 08/02/05 01:02 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first SOXC bushing has been installed in Xcited's rig. I'll remind him to check this thread and keep it updated as required!

They do look very good!

#396896 - 08/02/05 01:24 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excuse me for being upset and frustrated that the part Calmini claimed would do what it is intended to, does not....completely. Sure, it is bigger, beefier and stronger on all points but for one. If Calmini would inform their customers before their purchase that they will need to replace bushings at regular intervals then I would have no complaints. However they do not and I was misled into thinking that the only required "maintenance" on it would be to grease regularly. I have greased regularly and still have a failed bushing. If Calmini would ship out replacement bushings without charge, again I would little room to complain. They don't.

Any word on the longevity of the bushing designed by our fellow XOC'er?

#396897 - 08/02/05 04:35 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
BoneCrusher Offline

Loc: In a Bar near YOU!
Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
[QB]Go ahead and avoid them like the plague. What you have not digested in this entire thread, and on this board, is that the issue is one that is suffered by all solutions right now (Calminis and SLRs). The problem is not the design but the strength of the components. Any other material that could do what the bushing is doing and not wear out is beyond our price range.
[QB]
SLR steering system is failing too??

Cause i havent heard that one. From what i hear the SLR components work great as long as you keep things greased and oiled.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency

99% of democrats give the rest a bad name

Liberals are constantly Inflaming the culture war. They seem to forget which side has all the guns.

#396898 - 08/02/05 04:52 PM Re: Calmini Idler Arm - fix for failing bronze bushing?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I regularly replaced the bushings on the SLR kit I had too. It's not a Calmini specific issue.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal