shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#397456 - 02/06/05 08:55 AM Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey yall! This year will be my first year going to ECXC. I'm looking forward to it and meeting everyone! I have a question though. I'm probably going to buy the rear shackles to lift my truck a little bit, but i dont' even want to attempt doing it, i'll break something. so do people mod at ECXC? or is a PML too difficult?

#397457 - 02/06/05 09:20 AM Re: Question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Its not that hard....but, it eats into other's wheeling/party time...so, if you are going to do it there, coordinate who's helping, and when/where....like after wheeling the first night...or, if you are getting there early...doing it Thursday afternoon/evening....etc.

You can really speed things up by doing some prep work....like getting some nut blaster/penetrating oil...and spraying the shackle attachment points (top/bottoms), and the T-bar adjuster nuts and bolts - NOW! (The more lead time you give it, the easier it will come off when you get there...and the less time it will take. Most of the time consumed is breaking free rusted parts...so, the penetrating oil thing is a big plus (Mandatory).

W/o rust problems...it takes less than 30 minutes to crank the front, and another 30 minutes to change out the shackles...not too bad.

laugh

(If you haven't yet)...take off the aluminum step rails and mud flaps...they tend to get wrecked off road...and this way they stay nice so you can sell on e-bay, etc...to get some steel sliders, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#397458 - 02/06/05 09:58 AM Re: Question
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
It's not a problem to do the install at ECXC. There are plenty of people there that can give a hand. There will even be a Master Nissan Technician there as well.

Have you already cranked the torsion bars? If you haven't, the rear is going to be seriously higher than the front. I wouldn't recommend cranking the t-bars at the campground because you will need an alignment if you crank the t-bars enough to level out the truck with the shackles. If the wheels are out of alignment enough, you can really put a lot of extra wear on the front tires.

I would just post your intentions to do the install at the campground over on the ecxc.com message board. There are a lot of folks there that don't read XOC. Giving them a heads up will make it easier to get help once we're all there. I don't think a year has gone by that someone hasn't done some serious work on their truck at the campground.

-Michael

#397459 - 02/06/05 12:34 PM Re: Question
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You can most likley fudge the alignment well enough to get through the weekend (eyeball it), as you are really just getting the camber back....and do a real one the following Monday at an actual shop, etc.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#397460 - 02/06/05 12:57 PM Re: Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

check your PM's..

when i did mine last week, it needed an alignment right away.. i wouldn't try offroading without an alignment after the lift. like the pm says, i'll help if you want smile

~Sarah

Moderator:  swampwrecker 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal