2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#398424 - 31/05/06 10:38 AM 1st gen/2nd gen comparison offroad
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Hey guys, I only made it out for Sunday and Monday, but was wondering where the 1st gen design excelled, and where the 2nd gen design excelled. I figure this was the first year of really having enough of both to see their strengths. I don't mean to start a "which is better" pissing contest, but am curious about the strengths and weaknesses. I may want to upgrade to the power of the 2nd gen at some point but am curious how they do offroad. On steelbender, myself (no lift) and another basically stock gen1 behind me did fine, and I think some stock gen2s did okay too, but I thought I heard reference to vehicles needing to be strapped at some point which left me a bit confused. So, chime in - what advantages/issues did you all find?

#398425 - 31/05/06 11:37 AM Re: 1st gen/2nd gen comparison offroad
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Stock wise the 2nd gen OR model is more capable than the 1st gen IMO…Lower gearing…increased front articulation, traction control, etc plus I like how things are tucked up better on the 2nd gens.

In a 2nd Gen OR with a 2 ½” lift, some updated tires, armor, bumpers you can run any of trails at gone like Snoopy showed with zero breakage.

With a 1st gen you can still run the same trails you just need to add more stuff like a rear locker, steering system, etc.

#398426 - 01/06/06 08:52 AM Re: 1st gen/2nd gen comparison offroad
Bruzer Offline

Loc: Minnesota
The next gen 2005 Offroad model was really worth it for me in Moab. I followed "Illinois" (2005 S model) on some trails and on others he followed me. In some places he got stuck, and his free wheels would spin. When he had to take a few additional runs at an obstical, that clued me in to use my rear diff locker. That made a lot more traction and got the Offroad up easier. I saw this happen on a few first gen Xterras that were not equipped with lockers.

I also used the hill decent feature which I think is exclusive for the second generation Offroad models. This helped on the really steep part of Hell's Revenge (where my low windshield wiper fluid light came on because of the extreme angle). The truck did all the breaking by itself by cycling the ABS and using the engine more in the breaking.

I complained about scraping, and I did scrape because some of the angels were so steep. I don't think that would be different between models. We have about the same amount of material hanging past our wheels. I think everyone's front and rear bumpers are a little scraped from Moab (unless you have a 5 inch lift and 35 inch tires).

As far as first gen compared to next gen Xterras I think they are both great. I have owned both, but only wheeled with the 2005.

#398427 - 01/06/06 05:56 PM Re: 1st gen/2nd gen comparison offroad
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
In comparison:

2000 Xterra SE 4x4 5SP: For GoneMOAB in 2001 I had 32” BFG A/T tires, a PML (Poor Mans Lift), ARB front bumper, and CALMINI rocker skids. The Xterra made it through the entire week of events. I did however break an add-a-leaf and flattened the snot out of my exhaust pipe. I also remember scraping the bottom a bit more and getting hung up on the spring hangers.

2005 Xterra Off Road 4x4 6SP: I have a 2.25” lift, 33” Xterrain tires, Shrockworks bumper and rocker skids. Once again the Xterra made it over everything. I will say that the locker is really nice because I didn’t have to use as much gas to get over obstacles. Less gas and speed equals less breakage. The gearing is noticeable lower. There seems to be more articulation on the front but not as much articulation on the rear. The ride is better on springs than torsion bars. The new X has most venerables tucked up inside the frame. Power… the 3.3 liter, even supercharged, doesn’t hold a flame to the 4.0 liter. Shifting to 4HI and 4LO is so much easier. The locker, just a pushbutton away.

For me, the 2005 X is a better rig. More power, more comfort, more capable, more Xterra.

The only down side of the new X is the looks. I still dislike the looks of the new X from the side. Step around to a quarter view and the view improves but the side of the X looks too boxy. I wish Nissan had kept the swept-forward look of the rear window that the original X had.

#398428 - 02/06/06 06:50 AM Re: 1st gen/2nd gen comparison offroad
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
Thanks for the input guys - Snoopy's first hand experience with both is great data. Better start saving my pennies for that extra 95 HP and rear locker laugh

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal