shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404610 - 07/10/06 06:44 PM Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check this sweetness out! This is what I want to do to the Xterra, but I think I will wait to get my next X. In the mean time check these videos out!

Tacoma Idle Rev (front)
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma_front_rev.wmv

Tacoma Idle Rev (rear)
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma_rear_rev.wmv

Tacoma BlowOff Valve
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma_blowoff.wmv

Tacoma in water/mud
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma4.wmv
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Video/tacoma7.wmv

#404611 - 07/10/06 10:07 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

linky no worky [ThumbsDown]

#404612 - 08/10/06 05:40 AM Re: Check this out...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
worst placement for a turbo ever.

#404613 - 08/10/06 09:34 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Chia:
worst placement for a turbo ever.
Im sure you figure that because either someone else said it, or you just assume 50lbs of iron and steel cant hold up to "the elements". The inlet runs air down from a snorkel and dry sock so air wise its fine. Water wise...shouldnt have a problem...lots of turbo cars drive in rain all year long in Washington and none take a crap. The placement itself has about the same amount of crap flying around as a normal placement of a turbo and is as efficient as the worlds most efficient manifold-turbo kit for the Hona k-series. So why is it the "worst placement for a turbo ever?"

#404614 - 08/10/06 12:03 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

How much boost is obtained from this particular set up? I have no doubt that there are some HP gains with the turbo set up and that placing the turbo charger underneath the car rather than squeezing it in the engine bay may be an easier install. But I think the turbo would more efficient if it weren't so far from the trottle body and if hard tubing were used vs the the corrugated tubing that is posted in the pic. In my opinion there is too much distance the compressed air must travel from the turbo to the intake and by using flexible corrugated tubing the compressed air would cause the flexible tubing to expand thus decreasing the velocity.

Otherwise I think the turbo kit an awesome bang for the buck power mod and sounds cool.

#404615 - 08/10/06 01:28 PM Re: Check this out...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
You would have so much lag from it being so far from the intake that by the time it spooled up you would already be at your destination.

Don't even get me started on having it underneath the truck for all the rocks and crap you drive over to kill it.

And we though it could get no worse than having our alternator so low in the engine bay.

#404616 - 08/10/06 03:06 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XOC:

Don't even get me started on having it underneath the truck for all the rocks and crap you drive over to kill it.

I somehow SERIOUSLY doubt that the original poster has any interest in offroading whatsoever.

#404617 - 08/10/06 09:58 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually I am focusing it for offroad desert racing. Mainly simple desert dirt/rocks/dust. It really shouldnt have much of a problem in these conditions. Turbo's arent as fragile as many think.

As for the corregated tubing...your mistaken on which part is which. The corregated tubing is the air inlet from a remote filter to the turbo inlet. The hard piping that goes through the side is the intake piping (the pipe the intercooler would normally be mounted to), and the big pipe connected to the turbo is ofcourse the exhaust.

Placement from the throttle body doesnt have anything to do with turbo lag. Turbo sizing and air flow make the real difference. As long as there is exhaust pulsing through the exhaust the wheel will be spinning (its small enough of a turbo) so therefore lag is almost none existant. If the trubo is upgraded to a larger one, the lag can be increased, but that is commonly fixed by alcohol or methanol injection, which ofcourse helps spool.

The HP numbers for this kit are as follows:

Stock 3.4L V6 Tacoma: 140whp/178wtq

Boost: 4 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 224whp
%'d increase: 60%

Rear Wheel Torque: 278wtq
%'d increase: 59%

Boost: 12 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 343whp
%'d increase: 181%

Rear Wheel Torque: 391wtq
%'d increase: 155%

#404618 - 09/10/06 09:45 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Quad:
Actually I am focusing it for offroad desert racing. Mainly simple desert dirt/rocks/dust. It really shouldnt have much of a problem in these conditions. Turbo's arent as fragile as many think.

As for the corregated tubing...your mistaken on which part is which. The corregated tubing is the air inlet from a remote filter to the turbo inlet. The hard piping that goes through the side is the intake piping (the pipe the intercooler would normally be mounted to), and the big pipe connected to the turbo is ofcourse the exhaust.

Placement from the throttle body doesnt have anything to do with turbo lag. Turbo sizing and air flow make the real difference. As long as there is exhaust pulsing through the exhaust the wheel will be spinning (its small enough of a turbo) so therefore lag is almost none existant. If the trubo is upgraded to a larger one, the lag can be increased, but that is commonly fixed by alcohol or methanol injection, which ofcourse helps spool.

The HP numbers for this kit are as follows:

Stock 3.4L V6 Tacoma: 140whp/178wtq

Boost: 4 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 224whp
%'d increase: 60%

Rear Wheel Torque: 278wtq
%'d increase: 59%

Boost: 12 psi
Rear Wheel Horsepower: 343whp
%'d increase: 181%

Rear Wheel Torque: 391wtq
%'d increase: 155%
Ok, do a search, you will get the same advice from me as every other person that wants to turbo an X. Don't come here expecting us to "atta-boy" pat you on the back...it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Go out, spend the coin, and prove us wrong...If you look @ the 4x4 section you'll see a sticky about converting a 2wd to a 4wd, it was always said that it was too pricey, yada yada yada, well we were proved wrong, and it became a sticky.
So go out, spend the coing, prove us wrong, but until then [Save the fine unicorns]

ETA: fucking noobs

#404619 - 09/10/06 01:53 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Listen, I was asked questions and people made un-educated guesses and assumptions. Therefore I came back and let them know the facts of the kit and some information they ASKED about.

#404620 - 09/10/06 03:21 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

just a generic query into remote turbos as i really only have the basics down:

a turbo is basicaly a turbine compressor driven by another air source (exaust in the case of the remote turbo?)? wouldnt the air between the turbo & the intake already be there so when the demand is put on the turbine the preasure would rise substantialy fast?

sorry, my only experience with turbines is limited to jet turbines (F404-GE-402 type cool ) so i'm thinking large numbers. as for the rocks & stuff wouldnt it be protected somewhat by the armor underneith?

#404621 - 09/10/06 07:47 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kavett:
just a generic query into remote turbos as i really only have the basics down:

a turbo is basicaly a turbine compressor driven by another air source (exaust in the case of the remote turbo?)? wouldnt the air between the turbo & the intake already be there so when the demand is put on the turbine the preasure would rise substantialy fast?

sorry, my only experience with turbines is limited to jet turbines (F404-GE-402 type cool ) so i'm thinking large numbers. as for the rocks & stuff wouldnt it be protected somewhat by the armor underneith?
My current experience is with the F404-GE-F1D2 ( cool cool ) and I'm wondering about the heat. Turbines really like to work with expanding hot gases and I would think you would have some thermal losses by the time it got way back there.

#404622 - 10/10/06 01:09 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ive been on the site and looked around, supposedly they size the turbo specifically for placement at the muffler area and take into consideration heat losses (and therefore density change) when the gasses reach that point.

Thats true Kavett, I think on the site it said full pressure is reached in a fraction of a second so I wouldnt call that much lag at all.

Since it takes the place of the muffler, its way up there kinda above the rear axle, so I would assume its pretty safe, and you could probably fab up a little skid plate for it easily.

Doesnt seem like an impossible job at all, and if someone had the time and $$$ they could have a one of a kind X.

#404623 - 10/10/06 05:21 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

The small amount of lag caused by the distance the compressed air has to travel is pretty negligable. One good thing about the remote placement of turbos is the fact that the air is cooled down a lot more than if the turbo were mounted close to the engine.

#404624 - 10/10/06 06:55 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did some research on the this concept and found the tubo kit website: ststurbo . It looks as if they have done some R&D on their turbo kits and have them for other vehicle makes. Unfortunately there isn't a kit for an Xterra but I did notice that a universal kit was available but the fuel mapping and other tuning will have to be done on your own.

#404625 - 10/10/06 08:36 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I have a question. I've owned a car with a turbo in it before, and I've driven several since then. I've experienced lag in every turbo'd car I've ever driven, and none of them have had an STS-style system and they all experienced lag to some degree. Explain to me, with the turbo being so far down stream, how they can claim that there is no noticeable lag? Just wondering.

#404626 - 10/10/06 09:49 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Ok, do a search, you will get the same advice from me as every other person that wants to turbo an X. Don't come here expecting us to "atta-boy" pat you on the back...it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Go out, spend the coin, and prove us wrong...If you look @ the 4x4 section you'll see a sticky about converting a 2wd to a 4wd, it was always said that it was too pricey, yada yada yada, well we were proved wrong, and it became a sticky.
So go out, spend the coing, prove us wrong, but until then [Save the fine unicorns]

I didn't see where he asked you for your advice. Seems you gave that away pretty much freely. Here, I'll do the same. If you don't want to add something meaningful or constructive to a topic, then don't post. Move along. Pretty simple really.

#404627 - 11/10/06 10:21 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check this out. This is something even better than the STS. I personally dont see a problem with the STS system, but look at this kit this guy is putting in production for the Tacoma's! Its amazing fab work. I'm going to see if he plans on building one for the xterra.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61280

#404628 - 11/10/06 10:27 AM Re: Check this out...
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Likely not.

He made it for the Taco because people will buy it.

#404629 - 11/10/06 10:41 AM Re: Check this out...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike in NRH:
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
[b]Ok, do a search, you will get the same advice from me as every other person that wants to turbo an X. Don't come here expecting us to "atta-boy" pat you on the back...it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

I didn't see where he asked you for your advice. Seems you gave that away pretty much freely. Here, I'll do the same. If you don't want to add something meaningful or constructive to a topic, then don't post. Move along. Pretty simple really.[/b]
You have a lot to learn about this board padawan.

#404630 - 11/10/06 11:04 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

ChefTyler, if every Turbo application car you've driven has Lag maybe you shouldn't be driving them? People like you make this forum lame.

#404631 - 11/10/06 11:08 AM Re: Check this out...
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Bama,

How many cars with turbos don't lag besides a 911? When driving our chipped Jetta 1.8T you really feel the lag and then the force when the turbo finally kicks in.

#404632 - 11/10/06 04:31 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

unless you get into bonafide "sports car" performance (and price) all turbos are gonna experience some degree of lag

#404633 - 11/10/06 05:01 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well socalpunx, my co-workers Nissan SE VSPEc has no lag what-so-ever. It all depends on your set up and if you have the buck for the bang. Hell, even the SRT-4 for example; you ever felt lag in those? I have not.

#404634 - 11/10/06 05:55 PM Re: Check this out...
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
There's not much turbo lag in my Mazdaspeed6. Probably less than a 1/2-second. Its TMIC and other intake piping are all very close to the throttle body, so it doesn't take long to pressurize the system.

With the length of pipe used on the STS, there must be some amount of turbo lag. That's a lot of air volume between the turbo and the throttle body to bring up to pressure. But then again, maybe the turbo is big enough to react quickly.

I wonder what the turbo efficiency map looks like.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal