shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#404635 - 11/10/06 06:29 PM Re: Check this out...
OnlyOneDR Offline

I think the only part that really scares me about the whole "remote turbo" thing is the fact that you have to run an oil line all the way back there and a return back to the engine. That is a lot of oil line to worry about, and flying debris could cut it and kill your engine pretty fast.

Battleship - 2001 Frontier Desert Runner
NOAS Club Membership Coordinator and Treasurer 2016-2017
http://www.noas4x4club.com/

#404636 - 11/10/06 06:30 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Daddy Chia:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike in NRH:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
[b]Ok, do a search, you will get the same advice from me as every other person that wants to turbo an X. Don't come here expecting us to "atta-boy" pat you on the back...it's NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Go out, spend the coin, and prove us wrong...If you look @ the 4x4 section you'll see a sticky about converting a 2wd to a 4wd, it was always said that it was too pricey, yada yada yada, well we were proved wrong, and it became a sticky.
So go out, spend the coing, prove us wrong, but until then [Save the fine unicorns]

ETA: fucking noobs
I didn't see where he asked you for your advice. Seems you gave that away pretty much freely. Here, I'll do the same. If you don't want to add something meaningful or constructive to a topic, then don't post. Move along. Pretty simple really.[/b]
You have a lot to learn about this board padawan.[/b]
Actually, I think I was pretty much spot on. This post (topic and subsequent responses) pretty much confirms it. The feeling I get, and a lot of other Xterra owners get, is that this board is over-run with a bunch of 4x4-centric hicks who like nothing better than to post about why this or that application or device sucks because it would get broken or hung up off road, or because it serves no real purpose on the trail, or simply that this has been posted about before and likewise dismissed before so do a search, all the while forgetting that this is neither a Xterra 4x4 board, or that not everyone buys second rate IFS SUVs (less so with the 2nd gen wink ) just to make a hobby (and significant personal investment) into making up for Nissan's obvious 'design oversights' - which are many, if you only see your rig as a Jeep rival.

And finally - while I've not wasted an entire 5+ years on this board, it doesn't take long to figure out what made of. I came here about a year ago looking for information on fog lights (of all things) and I personally could care less about the 4x4 capabilities of my truck. I do however care about getting to and from the trail head, with a trailer in tow, and a kayak or bike attached. I can't get that kind of utility out of a Honda Civic, and that's in a nutshell why I own a Nissan Xterra. It's also why I didn't buy a Jeep Rubicon or any other vehicle specifically designed around it's 4x4 capabilities. So to posters (and readers) like me, give us a break. Let us read redundant posts in peace. You don't see me getting on one of the 8 million Shrockworks bumper install posts and screaming "do a search, this topic has been posted 8 million times already" do you?

Edit: spelling for smart 4x4-centric hicks that caught it.

#404637 - 11/10/06 07:39 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get over yourself. Honestly.

If you have read through any decent amount of posts on this board you would know that the people that post here regularly are PRIMARILY INTERESTED IN OFF-ROADING, if YOU can't understand THAT find another board, period.

That is all, thank you.

#404638 - 12/10/06 07:58 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think its funny that people who have "read" a lot of posts or have "driven" a lot of turbo cars think they know a lot about them.

My girlfriend "drives" a lot of cars too, but she doesn't know the first thing about combustion, or sparks, or compression...not to mention the fluid dynamics of exhaust and air flow...

Also, just because someone may appear "new" in the forum world like XOC, doesn't mean they don't know about vehicles. For all you know, they could be an automotive engineer and know a whole lot more about how things work then any of you do. There is now need to get upset about any of this really?

#404639 - 12/10/06 12:32 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cornice Jumper go jump off a skyscraper, but first go back to English class and learn to spell, You are a XOC virgin and do not understand the type of bashing that goes on here. I see you did not receive your honorary XOC "How to bash on threads" book. You will learn this forum quickly for defending someone, REALLY quick!!! But have fun!

#404640 - 12/10/06 01:53 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I hate to say it, but they are right. Most people on here are dicks to anyone who doesn't want to go all out offroad.

It is Xterra Owners Club.. not Xterra Offroaders Club.

Don't get me wrong, I've put more cash in to offroading mods on my truck than it is worth, but I still think most people are asses on here :rolleyes:

#404641 - 12/10/06 02:06 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Get over yourself. Honestly.

If you have read through any decent amount of posts on this board you would know that the people that post here regularly are PRIMARILY INTERESTED IN OFF-ROADING, if YOU can't understand THAT find another board, period.

That is all, thank you.
I think I alluded to that with my comment about the 8 million Shrockworks bumper posts there are, but hey I didn't honestly expect ya to catch that.

Ever wonder if the reason the only people posting on this board are primarily interested in 4x4 is because of the assholes among them who go out of their way to ostracize and dismiss those who's interests are other than 4x4ing? I wonder what Nissan would think of some of you folks who purport to 'represent' the Xterra community?

#404642 - 12/10/06 08:37 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey let's talk about turbos again. I suppose lag is relative to how you drive the vehicle. I've got a Saab 900 Turbo and for example if I'm in 3rd at 35MPH and floor-it I've got nothing. If I'm in 2nd at 35MPH and floor-it it rips. I think any turbo is going to have some lag, you just learn how to avoid getting into that situation by keeping the RPMs in the right range.

#404643 - 12/10/06 08:46 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
I hate to say it, but they are right. Most people on here are dicks to anyone who doesn't want to go all out offroad.

It is Xterra [b]Owners
Club.. not Xterra Offroaders Club.

Don't get me wrong, I've put more cash in to offroading mods on my truck than it is worth, but I still think most people are asses on here :rolleyes: [/b]
amen broham
[ThumbsUp] [drink]

#404644 - 13/10/06 08:47 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

#404645 - 14/10/06 11:53 AM Re: Check this out...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
All turbos lag. In the Bugatti 16.4 has a small amount of lag. Having the turbo that far from the engine will create a shit load of lag. I have driven a MAzdaspped 6. Guess what it has lag. I have driven a WRX guess what it has lag. My friends SPEC V had lag. Hell my stock spec V had lag. All fucking motors have lag when they shift.

#404646 - 14/10/06 05:12 PM Re: Check this out...
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
Stay "Tuned",,,,turbos to ALR with less than 4 pages of "lag" [Wave]

#404647 - 14/10/06 06:08 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
But then again, maybe the turbo is big enough to react quickly.

I'm kinda joining late on this one, but you are not correct here. Bigger turbo takes longer and causes MORE lag, than a smaller turbo. It takes longer to spin up, but provides more pressure. Smaller turbo is faster to spin up but less pressure. That's why there are cars out there that run a bi-turbo. Bi-turbo is NOT twin turbo. Twin is 2 turbos the same size, and bi-turbo is a setup of 2 turbos, where one is small to reduce lag by spinning quickly, the other large to provide more boost at higher RPM.

#404648 - 15/10/06 08:10 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:
[b] But then again, maybe the turbo is big enough to react quickly.

I'm kinda joining late on this one, but you are not correct here. Bigger turbo takes longer and causes MORE lag, than a smaller turbo. It takes longer to spin up, but provides more pressure. Smaller turbo is faster to spin up but less pressure. That's why there are cars out there that run a bi-turbo. Bi-turbo is NOT twin turbo. Twin is 2 turbos the same size, and bi-turbo is a setup of 2 turbos, where one is small to reduce lag by spinning quickly, the other large to provide more boost at higher RPM.[/b]
are they put in series or in paralell?

#404649 - 15/10/06 01:14 PM Re: Check this out...
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
I still think most people are asses on here :rolleyes:

#404650 - 23/10/06 01:51 PM Re: Check this out...
spalind Offline

Loc: Windham, NH
Hmmm...looks like there is at least one '00 Xterra running around with a supercharger on it...see this thread on Xterrafirma....pics of the engine included...
supercharged 1st gen Xterra...

#404651 - 23/10/06 02:48 PM Re: Check this out...
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I did a poll on XOC...it seems of the people who responded, about 20% said they had NEVER offroaded.

So - given that the non-offroaders probably are not checking the boards as often as the hard core guys...I might guess that the majority of XOC-ers are off roading at least a bit, but that the board has thousands of registered NON-Offroaders.

I also agree that XOC is Xterra Owners, not Xterra Offroaders, but, lets face it, all you see in these responses is the reply of the respondents...the silent majority is invisible here.

So if 12 posts attack you for washing your truck or [Shudder] slamming it, etc...there are over 12 THOUSAND members who did not.

I think it helps to remember that.

Its a free country, and there is freedom of speech...but you only hear the speaches of those that speak.

laugh

And yes, the smaller turbos need less volume to spool up, so they fill faster (Respond with less lag)...but ultimately, can't generate as much total boost.

You can plumb them to fill together, but, that typically robs the little one of flow, so the are typically set up to fill the 'lil guy, and THEN the big guy.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#404652 - 23/10/06 04:36 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

well i personally would like to see more support for people that are not serious offroaders. I have taken my X to the limits of a 2wd lsd equipped vehicle and its lots of fun, but i really give a rats ass about offroading. I like the utility of my X, and it tows my boat great. And there are obviously others like me on the board. Anyway, i dont want to piss people off.... if you have $10k of mods on your X and rock climb with it, then much props to ya, would love to go for a ride! But call me crazy, im interested in seeing a turbo X just as much as im interested in seeing a solid axle converted offroad beast.

#404653 - 24/10/06 01:28 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, this thread went kind-of nuts. I do agree that alot of the posters on XOC are hicks...and seamingly unintelligent and uneducated hicks. While most (i know there are some, you dont have to post to make it known) of you guys know nothing of what you even own; in terms of how it works and how it works with other mechanical parts on your rig. You simply know it does something good and you will talk about it like you know the very logistics of even what the engineers of the said product where thinking while designing the product....was that too fast for you? To many nouns, adjectives, and verbs?

If you know anything other than what you have heard, please post up.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61280

Anything dealing with turbocharger's is an "Educated ONLY" thread. It is not a thread to be trolled by the ignorant, the 'seat-dynoer's', or the 'im-a-lag-doctor-because-i-heard-about-lag-and-turbos-in-the-same-conversation' guys.

#404654 - 24/10/06 04:26 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
turbocharger's is an "Educated ONLY" thread.
Go back to school Dr. Turbo guy.. :rolleyes:

#404655 - 24/10/06 08:58 AM Re: Check this out...
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by X-Quad:
Wow, this thread went kind-of nuts. I do agree that alot of the posters on XOC are hicks...and seamingly unintelligent and uneducated hicks. While most (i know there are some, you dont have to post to make it known) of you guys know nothing of what you even own; in terms of how it works and how it works with other mechanical parts on your rig. You simply know it does something good and you will talk about it like you know the very logistics of even what the engineers of the said product where thinking while designing the product....was that too fast for you? To many nouns, adjectives, and verbs?

If you know anything other than what you have heard, please post up.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61280

Anything dealing with turbocharger's is an "Educated ONLY" thread. It is not a thread to be trolled by the ignorant, the 'seat-dynoer's', or the 'im-a-lag-doctor-because-i-heard-about-lag-and-turbos-in-the-same-conversation' guys.
With comments like that, you have now been labeled a troll. Good job. Move to Louisiana cause Texas dosent want you.

#404656 - 24/10/06 09:16 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the Carne Esada, It is Awesome!

#404657 - 24/10/06 09:57 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guarantee that once the people that talk the trash, drive an x equiped with one of these turbo systems installed, they will cease to talk the trash. set up right they work.

#404658 - 24/10/06 11:23 AM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know they work, i drove a Tundra on 33's with one and it was awesome. However, i think I would rather make my own turbo kit for a fronty/xterra...since no one makes one yet and Toyota has a nice turbo/offroad following for the Taco/4Runner.

The turbo is sized just right that there really isnt any lag...basically if you want to really know what lag is its the ability to feel the transition from stock hp to full boost. If your running a 1000 HP on a engine that was originally a 200hp I4 car, then yeah since there is a large turbo being spun, you will feel the transition of 800hp difference. However, if your using a well sized turbo on a 3.3L V6 with originally 190hp...maybe pushing 8psi, you will likely be around 320-330hp. So you will feel less of the transition of the 130hp difference. Plus since the spool will be faster due to the smaller sized compressor wheel you will feel less lag. Then there is the tunning aspect, if it tuned correctly you can experience a very very small amount of lag in the form of building power...not a sudden jump to peak HP.

#404659 - 24/10/06 12:57 PM Re: Check this out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by X-Quad:
Wow, this thread went kind-of nuts. I do agree that alot of the posters on XOC are hicks...and seamingly unintelligent and uneducated hicks.
Well kid actions speak louder than words and all that you have done is speak of your superiority of everyone around you, if you want to have any chance at credability within this or any other community follow through on what you started, if you think a turbo is such a good idea go ahead and do it. But untill that day has come [Save the fine unicorns] because you only sound like a whiney little prick.

Oh and by the way there are some people here that have actually graduated, unlike yourself, its all about the follow through.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal