2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#405275 - 14/05/06 03:12 PM 04 Exhaust replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got my 04 SE and just installed my K&N. Wow, this thing now gulps air like there was no tomorrow. The sound of the gushing air put a big grin on my face. Thats when I started thinking about the exhaust. I was thinking of running two seperate exhausts and gettingr rid of the cat-converters. (currently in Europe and SMOG issues are taken care of for 2 years from last fri :-))

Anyway, I read a post that talked about even presure or somthing along that line. Feeding both headers into a single mufler and then spliting again at the rear. I want to run two seperate systems, one for each side.

Is this going to make it much louder?

What is the disadvantage of runing two free flow muflers?

Since I am no longer limiting the ammount of air my X gets, shouldnt I also change the exhaust?

Also saw some things about X and H layouts. What does all this mean?

2004 Xterra SE- 4x4 - Black - K&N

#405276 - 15/05/06 07:07 AM Re: 04 Exhaust replacement
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The banks need some type of connection so that the odd - even pulses can allow scavanging, and other stuff you want to happen.

The engine is not large enough to need that much more exhaust capacity...a 2.5" pipe is pretty much the point of diminishing return.

If you do a dual system, its for shits and giggles, and will not make noticeably more power than a simple 2.5" pipe based system.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#405277 - 16/05/06 10:08 AM Re: 04 Exhaust replacement
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would have to disagree with you on that one TJ. I was clowning around under there recently and the pipes are pinched a considerable amount. I don't know if any of the cat backs include the y pipe and if they don't, thats a major choke point. Replacing the manifolds, replacing the cats with good aftermarket ones and using mandrel tubing to eliminate the pinch down to an x pipe and out to mandrel bent 2.25 pipes with good (borla, flowmaster) mufflers should really bring some life to the engine. Its a pricey way to go, but if you are serious, then its worth the money and effort. [Freak]

#405278 - 23/05/06 02:50 AM Re: 04 Exhaust replacement
paulgw Offline

Loc: St.Albans, Herts, UK.
Where about's in Europe are you? I drive a 2001 X in the UK.

I'm trying to start a European Xterra Owners Club (yes I am sad).

Paul.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal