2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#408705 - 26/01/05 03:37 PM Re: NOS systems
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
Once upon a time there was a guy on here with a yellow X that was running NOS. He was from Oregon and had paddle tires on his X. He had quite the set up with a Semi truck (yellow) and the whole scene. He was running NOS to get him up the sand hills on the beach (I think). Although he never mentioned engine failure or fatigue, he did say that he would go through 3 or 4 tie rods a day. He was probably lifted and did not have any upgraded steering.

Does anyone else remember any more details?

I have always thought if a NOS set up would be helpful in high elevations, SLC and Denver. Although expensive and very intense (engine controls etc.) the set up could work to compensate altitude and air mixtures. The engine is capable of producing more power at sea level than at altitude, therefore - why not?

#408706 - 26/01/05 03:54 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who cares if they call it nos or nitrous or juiced or bottle fed? Bottles are for babies anyways

#408707 - 26/01/05 05:06 PM Re: NOS systems
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by jparf:
if you want to know the wrong way to use the term go rent the fast and the furious. otherwise its called nitrous our you can say your car/truck is 'juiced' or 'bottle fed'.

calling is NOS is wrong unless you own holley's kit.
Thank you...

NOS was used because it was a stupid ass movie. Now it is sticking because all of the stupid people that liked the movie. That is why you see people suping up Geo metros and saturns now a days.

#408708 - 26/01/05 05:17 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Hes got NOS>>>>>>>>>>>>>RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!"

#408709 - 26/01/05 05:18 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by edstorm:
this is not reall that off topic, but my friend from a japan motorsports mentioned that I could maybe fit a Nissan Skyline GT-R engine in the xterra. Anyone tried that out.

Probably cost 5000 to get the engine and itll make a killer speed racer...but really nuts....just wondering the possibility though considering that they managed to put a pathfinder enginer in an xterra.

p.s - NO WAY I AM GETTING THAT DONE---car relaibilty will go down.... smile
Your friend is full of shit. The RB26DET won't fit under the hood of the X. Unless you cut the firewall, relocate the radiator and condensor and know a cheap but reliable welder.

Everyone's fantasy of putting a Skyline motor in their ride can quit jerking off to pics of it in their bathrooms, put on their McDonald's hat (wash your hands) and get me some fries.

The only vehicles the RB will fit in is the 240. The 'other' Skyline engine is the SR20DET, and you can put that into a lot of things, even an Xterra. But then you have a turbo 4 banger that'll spit out a whopping 235hp stock. Then you can upgrade that (SAFC, JW computer, cams, boost controller, etc.) and get around 250hp & 260'lb of torque (but that's up here at altitude, and after the dyno tune, stock computer).

Save your pennies, buy the '05 and get it all at once, with a warranty.

#408710 - 27/01/05 02:32 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why do you think the engine can't handle the NOS?
Isn't this the same engine that has a SuperCharger option? Obviously it can handle a 50HP boost right?

#408711 - 27/01/05 09:43 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

ITS CALLED NITROUS!!!!!1111*&#uvIUOIHOSDFAFHH

ok now that i got that outta they way.

the engine will handle it. if you really want it do research elsewhere as that info is probably not on this website. if you have no idea what youre doing and hook it up and just spray away you WILL blow up the engine. nitrous will backfire inside the engine if not used properly. that being said, i reccomend you do not nitrous your X unless you did enough research. there are plenty of books out there, go buy one...

#408712 - 27/01/05 10:19 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nitrous won't backfire into the engine. It will cause the engine the run lean, as the Nitrous itself isn't flamable. That may cause a backfire, but the Nitrous itself won't.

I've read the books, [Moses]so let it be written, so let it be said.[/Moses]

One molecule of Nitrogen, two molecules of Oxygen.

Mix well with gasoline (or other flamable substance) and inject in healthy doses. Reccomend Valium to get the silly grin off your face when complete.

#408713 - 27/01/05 03:38 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the backfire remark was in reference to wet systems. The fuel & nitrous are mixed well before the valves, which is where the fuel on our trucks is injected. The danger is much like TBI injection, or carborated cars/trucks. The fuel & air are mixed aeveral inches from the engine, and travel down runners to the valves, hence there is more fuel/air to burn in a backfire. Possibly involving all 6 runners as all the air in the intake is mixed with fuel. The injection on our trucks limits the available fuel to small pockets around the valves. A backfire is not likely to involve more then one runner, as there is no fuel to propigate the burn from valve to valve.

What I want is someone to make new heads for the 3.3 that allows LPG direct injection. Can you say 110 octane!!

#408714 - 27/01/05 05:39 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cyclemut, isn't it the RB26DETT (skyline twin turbo)? RB26DET is a single turbo engine.

#408715 - 27/01/05 06:33 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

LMAO, I have used N2O for years on D-series honda motors with little to no problems. If a 1.6L honda can take a 100 shot, then the 3.3 should be good for atleast that. Some of you seem to forget the key to longevity in a modified engine is in the tuning.

#408716 - 27/01/05 06:38 PM Re: NOS systems
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Quote:
Originally posted by infinatenexus:
Some of you seem to forget the key to longevity in a modified engine is in the tuning.
Holy shit, I thought it was the maintenance. :rolleyes:

#408717 - 28/01/05 01:05 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

anyway, enough with the side commentary that everybody has applied. Does anybody have any hardcore useful information?

#408718 - 28/01/05 09:24 AM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
I installed the NOS-05130 wet kit (75HP jetting) a few months ago and have not had issues. I installed it to add a little "fun factor" to the truck. The engine has handled it fine so far.

#408719 - 28/01/05 09:27 AM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

My engine has about 95K on it now...

#408720 - 28/01/05 09:49 AM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by fastdrmr:
Once upon a time there was a guy on here with a yellow X that was running NOS. He was from Oregon and had paddle tires on his X. He had quite the set up with a Semi truck (yellow) and the whole scene. He was running NOS to get him up the sand hills on the beach (I think). Although he never mentioned engine failure or fatigue, he did say that he would go through 3 or 4 tie rods a day. He was probably lifted and did not have any upgraded steering.

Does anyone else remember any more details?

I have always thought if a NOS set up would be helpful in high elevations, SLC and Denver. Although expensive and very intense (engine controls etc.) the set up could work to compensate altitude and air mixtures. The engine is capable of producing more power at sea level than at altitude, therefore - why not?
Here's some pictures of that Xterra

#408721 - 28/01/05 09:55 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you've been running NOS kit for 95k miles now? Approximately how many tanks you go through in a month (or week)? And how hard/long was the install?

Also, doesn't the S/C VG engine come with some forged internals, so couldn't the S/C engine take a bigger hit?

#408722 - 28/01/05 10:59 AM Re: NOS systems
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Just_Blue:
So you've been running NOS kit for 95k miles now? Approximately how many tanks you go through in a month (or week)? And how hard/long was the install?

Also, doesn't the S/C VG engine come with some forged internals, so couldn't the S/C engine take a bigger hit?
Just_Blue,
His truck has 95K on it.....not the nitrous kit for 95K.

Stone

#408723 - 28/01/05 11:01 AM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Quote:

Only for about 3K miles. 95K is the total on the engine. I've gone through 1 1/3 +/- tanks. I didn't do the install myself.

I was having nismo cams (256/425), lifters, cam/crank seals, timing belt, ac/alt/ps belts, Tensioner Stud, Tensioner Spring, thermostat, Water Pump, and all gaskets replaced. I had them do it since they were doing all that other work.

#408724 - 28/01/05 11:43 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

hell, am I the only one that's remotely interested in putting any NOS in there truck? I wanna put a damn 100 shot in the thing, and I'd like to hear some legitimate reasoning from anybody on why I shouldn't.

#408725 - 28/01/05 11:45 AM Re: NOS systems
NuDan Offline

Loc: Not Here
Quote:
hell, am I the only one that's remotely interested in putting any NOS in there truck? I wanna put a damn 100 shot in the thing, and I'd like to hear some legitimate reasoning from anybody on why I shouldn't.
I thought you were getting a Lexus?.

#408726 - 28/01/05 11:48 AM Re: NOS systems
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
stormy,

How does your truck run with the motor mods w/o the NOS?

May I ask how much that ran you?

thanks,
Stone

#408727 - 28/01/05 11:56 AM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

why shouldn't you do it? because its pointless unless you are racing or duning i guess...

#408728 - 28/01/05 12:18 PM Re: NOS systems
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here a few things that you will HAVE to do if you plan on running N2O:

You will have to pull back your timing,

You will have to run premium unleaded.

DO NOT spray below 3000RPM, with a wet kit spray u fuel into your intake manifold at too low a rpm the velocity of air is not traveling fast enough to pull the fuel in too so it will puddle in your intake manifold and explode

I would HIGHLY recommend buying a NX TPS switch, it only opens the solenoids at wide open throttle so u make sure you are not running lean. I also hooked up a MSD rpm acivated window switch so the solenoids will only open between 3000-7000rpm's. The MSD sends out a 12V- ground signal out in the certain rpm range. The tps requires a 12V+ and 12V- to operate so I hooked the output of the MSD to the ground of the TPS so even if I am at wide open throttle I cannot spray until the MSD box reads between 3000-7000rpm, this is a failsafe way to ensure safety for u and your motor.

Have your car dyno tuned to ensure your air/fuel ratio is within an acceptable range

Buy colder spark plugs

I have run it for years on Honda’s, and they aren't built nearly as stout as the 3.3 in our trucks.

#408729 - 28/01/05 12:20 PM Re: NOS systems
stormy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
stormy,

How does your truck run with the motor mods w/o the NOS?

May I ask how much that ran you?

thanks,
Stone
The truck runs great. The cams didn't do as much as I had hoped, but I did notice a difference. My guess is like 10 real hp (not like an intake 10 hp gain) Mainly notice it going uphills. A lot less effort to move the truck. One hill by my house I always take in third gear with the gas pedal 3/4 to the floor. Now, less than 1/2 to the floor to get the same acceleration uphill. If I could do it over, mostlikly would have gone with bigger cams. The plus is that with the 256/425 cam, the idle is perfect. On very cold days (below 10 degree days)it can be rough until it warms up. I haven't had any emission lights go on as of yet.

My setup before the cams/NOS: Stillen intake, flowmaster 50 series single/dual system, removed the clutch fan and have a flex-a-lite installed, 8.5mm wires.

I had the cam/crank seals, timing belt, ac/alt/ps belts, Tensioner Stud, Tensioner Spring, thermostat (went with the t-stat from the SC - runs 10 degrees cooler), Water Pump, cams (256/425), lifters, and all gaskets replaced, NOS (p/n nos-05130) fogger system installed, Filled the NOS tank (10lbs).
Total parts and labor/tuning(not including cams, lifter, t-stat, and NOS kit)
$1587.94

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal