shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#408891 - 30/07/07 10:02 AM Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a 2002 Nissan Xterra, 2wd, V6 automatic (not the super charged version). Love the truck, and plan to keep it for as long as it runs good. Currently just under 75,000 miles on it, and it still drives like new.

My only beef with it is that it gets at best 17 mpg.

I drive 80 miles to work and back 5 days a week. So the cost of gas adds up fast. Normally I would drive my CBR600RR to work (45 mpg), but the dress code at work has gotten tighter, and the heat of the day is starting to get hard for me on the bike here in Phoenix.

Is there anything one can do to effectively improve gas mileage on a truck like mine?

I already drive it like an old man because of the cost of gas. I don't even see the tach needle get above 3,000 unless I'm trying to do 80 mph on the freeway.

I do the basics like frequent oil changes, good tires at proper pressure, baby the gas pedal. I'm probably due for an air filter, I'll change that this weekend.

I don't know what else I can do really.

Would changing the air intake system to an aftermarket type help?

ben

#408892 - 30/07/07 10:33 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone test drive cars anymore? Yes the xterra gets crappy gas mileage... it will only get worse becasue 17 isnt that bad. Just looking through some of the posts below yours....

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=001033
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000947
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000917
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=000745

For more hits, use the handy dandy search function with your query....

#408893 - 30/07/07 10:36 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

easiest way, sell it and buy a honda crv. WHat kind of milage were you expecting out of a 4000lb suv?

#408894 - 30/07/07 01:15 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Woa, you guys are real nice. I've owned it since new. Just hoping there might be something I can do to improve the mileage, even if just a bit. Figured someone here would know the answer.

I guess I'll just wait for them to answer my post.

ben

#408895 - 30/07/07 01:34 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
2004 X, 17,000 miles and I get 10 city, 12 highway.

What are you doing special to get 17?

I previously had the 2002 and got a whopping 14.

#408896 - 30/07/07 01:39 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Hey, don't take offense. You just stepped on one of the newbie land mines. Many of us have been on this board for years and thus know there are MANY threads addressing gas mileage and ways to improve it. You just have to search the proper forum to find all the info you'll ever need.

But new people come on the board about every 5 minutes griping about gas mileage and asking how to improve it. Ok, that's a slight exaggeration but you get the point. It's become kind of a running inside joke and that's why a previous poster made the 'broken record' reference.

You're right about some people here being less polite than others, and I'll be the first to admit that I have my moments. In any case, welcome to XOC and again, don't take offense, just let us cranky XOC vets have our fun. wink

And btw...people have mellowed around here big time. The way noobs used to be treated led a member named 05_X to create what has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on this board:

As for improving your mileage, about all you can do is lighten your load as much as possible (my gear basket lives in the attic), don't be a leadfoot, anticipate lights and coast when possible, and so on. People have spent lots of time, effort, and $$ on intake kits, exhaust kits, you name it, and nobody can document anything more than a tiny increase, if that.

Sadly, 7 years of Xterra ownership - a 2000 and now an '02 - has led to one conclusion: it gets what it gets and I'm not going to worry about it.

What's truly annoying is that with new engine technology, the 2007 Suburban has an EPA estimate of 15/21. [Freak]

#408897 - 30/07/07 01:50 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Hey, don't take offense. You just stepped on one of the newbie land mines. Many of us have been on this board for years and thus know there are MANY threads addressing gas mileage and ways to improve it. You just have to search the proper forum to find all the info you'll ever need.

But new people come on the board about every 5 minutes griping about gas mileage and asking how to improve it. Ok, that's a slight exaggeration but you get the point. It's become kind of a running inside joke and that's why a previous poster made the 'broken record' reference.

You're right about some people here being less polite than others, and I'll be the first to admit that I have my moments. In any case, welcome to XOC and again, don't take offense, just let us cranky XOC vets have our fun. wink

And btw...people have mellowed around here big time. The way noobs used to be treated led a member named 05_X to create what has to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on this board:

As for improving your mileage, about all you can do is lighten your load as much as possible (my gear basket lives in the attic), don't be a leadfoot, anticipate lights and coast when possible, and so on. People have spent lots of time, effort, and $$ on intake kits, exhaust kits, you name it, and nobody can document anything more than a tiny increase, if that.

Sadly, 7 years of Xterra ownership - a 2000 and now an '02 - has led to one conclusion: it gets what it gets and I'm not going to worry about it.

What's truly annoying is that with new engine technology, the 2007 Suburban has an EPA estimate of 15/21. [Freak]
Great post. You have renewed my faith in this forum. Honestly, I asked the same question on a forum not dedicated at all to Xterras and got a lot more responses, and no flaming.

I'll try removing the gear basket, although I hate how they look without them, LOL. Sounds like I'm doing everything else that can be done.

I do try to anticipate traffic and lights. I coast whenever I can, and don't race to the next stop knowing it will more than certainly not get me there faster.

ben

#408898 - 30/07/07 01:53 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Canope:
2004 X, 17,000 miles and I get 10 city, 12 highway.

What are you doing special to get 17?

I previously had the 2002 and got a whopping 14.
Not sure, except for the stuff all ready mentioned.

Just did 278.1 miles on 16.25 gallons of 87 octane. That equals 17.11 mpg. That even includes taking my dirt bike to ride in the desert on Sunday, which was a 90 mile trip carrying a load.

So I guess I'm doing better than the average owner. Maybe that is why some are hating on me for posting. LOL

ben

#408899 - 30/07/07 02:40 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by armourbl:
Woa, you guys are real nice. I've owned it since new. Just hoping there might be something I can do to improve the mileage, even if just a bit. Figured someone here would know the answer.

I guess I'll just wait for them to answer my post.

ben
Ben-

I would suggest making sure your tires are properly inflated. I keep mine at 35 psi.
Second, if you haven't done it already, you should change to all synthetic fluids (front & rear diffs, oil,). That *may* get you 1-2 mpg increase.

I also have a freeing flowing cat-back Magnaflow exhaust system and an open air element to free up some HP.

Stone

#408900 - 30/07/07 03:01 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't think I've seen it mentioned before, but what about aftermarket rims. I'm guessing the stock units are on the heavy side. Of course, just like any other high dollar mod, how much to you really save after spending all of that money to begin with? Spend $300 to save $100.

ben

#408901 - 30/07/07 03:26 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

lighter wheels means decreased rolling resistance which is a good thing for mpg improvement.

#408902 - 30/07/07 07:29 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Canope Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
As stated earlier, 17 is awesome. I would love that figure. Enjoy the X for a few more years. I know I love mine and the second one.It's like the big Q..."Would you hit that?....FNA right I'd hit that!"

It's all about 'hittabilty'

#408903 - 30/07/07 10:01 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, welcome to XOC! You should check out the Arizona Xterra Club when you get a chance.

Second, I find it funny that the poster who flamed you has less posts than you - the noob calling the noob a noob. WTF?

Anyway, as already stated, keeping the vehicle in top condition (tires aired up, fluid and filters clean, etc.) and going easy on the gas pedal are the most economical things you can do to improve gas mileage. There is no magic part that will give you a substatial MPG increase.

FYI, I got 16-17 in my '01 2WD. The '06 XOR 4x4 gets 14-15. These figures exclude off-roading and towing which will cause a significant drop in MPG. That being said, I love my X and wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle.

#408904 - 31/07/07 11:18 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an '07 2WD (auto) with a roof rack and a load warrior... I average about 18.3mpg.

Jack

#408905 - 31/07/07 08:58 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, as soon as I saw you were getting 17mpg, I was wondering how you managed that! Mine is an Off Road and I know it carries more weight, than a 4x2, but if I'm really lucky I get 13mpg, and when I'm just driving back in forth in town 11mpg,ouch! I love the X in spite of that, but wonder where they came up with that bs in the specs about 16-21mpg! Yeah, right! Sorry about the flaming! There is a really nice search area on this site, for stuff everybody else has discussed at length. When you are somewhat new, or don't spend too much time here, you may not be aware of it. smile lj

#408906 - 31/07/07 10:42 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well Armour...maybe taking off the spare would lighten your load a little and like the other posts...go all synthetics and change the exhaust to dual and let it breathe better and also a cold air kit won't hurt either. I have an '02 S/C 5 speed and did my exhaust and cold air and went from 270 miles per tank to 330 on a trip to massachusetts, I know it was all highway mileage but hey mileage is mileage.

#408907 - 01/08/07 07:03 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by abrcr3:
Well Armour...maybe taking off the spare would lighten your load a little and like the other posts...go all synthetics and change the exhaust to dual and let it breathe better and also a cold air kit won't hurt either. I have an '02 S/C 5 speed and did my exhaust and cold air and went from 270 miles per tank to 330 on a trip to massachusetts, I know it was all highway mileage but hey mileage is mileage.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I was thinking the same thing for mods, but just didn't want to throw money at it without some proof that it would help.

Which would you do first, the exhaust or the intake? And where is the best place to get something like this online?

Not sure if I can afford to do either right now, but I'll see what I can do.

ben

#408908 - 01/08/07 10:39 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

abrcr3, regarding the extra 60 miles that you got on a tank:

1. Are you saying that you used the same exact number of gallons of gas?
2. Are you comparing similar trips to Massachusetts (i.e. roads driven, driving style, load carried, etc)?

#408909 - 02/08/07 04:40 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by armourbl:
Quote:
Originally posted by abrcr3:
[b]Well Armour...maybe taking off the spare would lighten your load a little and like the other posts...go all synthetics and change the exhaust to dual and let it breathe better and also a cold air kit won't hurt either. I have an '02 S/C 5 speed and did my exhaust and cold air and went from 270 miles per tank to 330 on a trip to massachusetts, I know it was all highway mileage but hey mileage is mileage.
This is the kind of info I'm looking for. I was thinking the same thing for mods, but just didn't want to throw money at it without some proof that it would help.

Which would you do first, the exhaust or the intake? And where is the best place to get something like this online?

Not sure if I can afford to do either right now, but I'll see what I can do.

ben[/b]
As I said in my earlier post, I've read threads on various engine mods for 7 years now and any improvement is minimal at best. Why waste your time and money?

If you decide to do engine mods, it would be great for you to track what you spend and the time it takes, measure the results, and let us know what the ROI is. Who knows, maybe I'm totally wrong and it's all more than worth it.

#408910 - 02/08/07 07:22 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't mean to imply that I was going to do the mods. Just researching at this point.

It would seem as though I've pretty much done everything you can do without spending more money than you could save over a length of time.

I'm trying to drive slower on this tank of gas, doing my best to keep the tach below 2,000 rpm, especially from stops.

I'll probably do this for another tank of gas, then remove the roof basket thingy, and measure again on another tank.

ben

#408911 - 02/08/07 08:02 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the K&N FIPK... I got around 17 after installing it with my S/C, and when I first bought it, I regularly stomped on the skinny peddle so I could hear the S/C working laugh . So I would say.... Cold air intake, synthetics, Then maybe exaust. Although, I didn't plan on wheeling mine when I first bought it and threw the cone filter in.... then I went through a creek and soaked it..... sooo just something to think about cool

#408912 - 02/08/07 09:47 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I get 17-18 mpg on mine...........

#408913 - 02/08/07 09:54 AM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

a "free one" is tire pressure, bump it up a bit. It will wear the center of the tires faster and a little harsher ride but it could gain you some (<1 mpg though)

#408914 - 02/08/07 03:00 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man, I dont know what you guys are doing! I understand if you have offroad stuff like huge tires and skid plates, getting like 12 mpg, but I have an 01 V6 2WD and get 20mpg routinely combined city and highway (about 50/50). My worst tank since Ive owned it was 18 mpg, when I was flooring it often and going 80mph plus (I didnt have to pay for that tank 8) ) My best tank was 22.3mpg doing mostly highway and grandma driving.

My tips: a.) Dont go 80 mph on the interstates. (More air resistance and higher RPM equals worse gas mileage)
b.) Keep it under 2500 rpms while accelerating (if you have the same engine as me). Its slightly slower accel than average, but I deal with it just fine.
c.) I open the windows for air when on city roads...on 2 lane highways or anything between 50 and 60 mph or so I roll mine about halfway and the passenger cracked (less air resistance). For interstates or when its REALLY hot (90+), I turn the A/C the "2" notch of 4 for about 30 secs until Im cool (I point all of the vents at me when its only me in the car) then turn it off. Repeat as necessary (about every 2-4 mins for me)

Hope this helps

#408915 - 02/08/07 07:17 PM Re: Improve gas mileage?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm going to replace the fuel filter, which is the still the stock unit with almost 75,000 miles on the odo, and I'm going to change the air filter since it is due.

Got the parts from XterraParts.com

16546-00001 Nissan Air Filter - 2000 to 2004 Xterra V6 and SuperCharged 1 $8.74

16400-00001 Fuel Filter - 2000-2004 Xterra V6/SC 1 $12.08

So maybe someone else doesn't have to search all over the place and through threads with dead links to pictures, here is a link to a webpage with illustrated instructions on how to change the fuel filter .

ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal