shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#410735 - 17/02/03 12:25 PM 11 PSI boost
oface Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Finally got the boost gauge hooked up. Looks like 11 psi peak. That's with a 2.3" pulley, new clutch, Calmini Exhaust, Boost Mod, and AirAid Intake and Throttle Body Sapcer. Piss poor. [Crybaby]

#410736 - 17/02/03 12:31 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
The PSI is pretty much only controlled by the pulley, and perhaps the boost mod. The rest of those things (intake, exhaust, etc.) will not increase the boost, but they will help with efficiency, and hence performance. So, just because your PSI doesn't go up with an exhaust doesn't mean it's not helping horsepower. Have you dynoed it?

#410737 - 24/02/03 06:34 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Piss poor? 11 psi isn't bad.

My stock X is only getting 5-7 psi max. An additional 4 psi based upon your mods - pulley, exhaust and intake, seems about right.

What were you expecting?

#410738 - 24/02/03 06:45 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
oface Offline

Well it's actually 11.5, but the accuracy of any mechanically guage sux a$$.

Expectling around 13 or so, but it hauls a$$ and whines like a son of a...

Waiting to Dyno it. Will post results.

#410739 - 24/02/03 09:44 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Wow, that sounds like a lot of boost! I guess we shall see how the VG33 will take to this much boost. BTW, you guys that are pushing the limits of your trucks should really be sure that you have enough fuel to feed all that air... we all know what happens to boost junkies. [Freak]

#410740 - 24/02/03 10:01 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
we all know what happens to boost junkies. [Freak]
True, pretty soon I will start with the water injection setup...After that it will be nitrous for added aftercooling...about 125 hp will do! [Uh Oh !]

Actually - the water injection is coming (necessary here in cali when I tow my boat)

The nitrous was a joke...I wouldn't want to try it with the cast crank in the engine.

#410741 - 02/03/03 06:40 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
03SYXPilot Offline

Loc: DE
Quote:
True, pretty soon I will start with the water injection setup...After that it will be nitrous for added aftercooling...about 125 hp will do! [Uh Oh !]

Actually - the water injection is coming (necessary here in cali when I tow my boat)

The nitrous was a joke...I wouldn't want to try it with the cast crank in the engine.
Throwing a 25 or 50 shot on the XTerra would not do harm. In fact, the Supercharged engine has stronger internals that would be fine with a small shot of NOS! I am also looking to get the 2.3 stepper pulley, water injection/ or a shot of NOS in the intake tube to help assist with dropping the intake Temp.

Now proud owner of a '05 Mazda 3 HB!!

#410742 - 02/03/03 07:25 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
oface Offline

How do you do a water injection set-up?

#410743 - 02/03/03 10:38 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Huey Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by oface:
How do you do a water injection set-up?
There is no need to do water injection on the supercharged X. Water injection is used to help further cool the air for turbo charged cars that are running huge boost (20 psi+) that have out grown their intercooler. Turbos create a lot of hot air and need the cooling capacity to get their air temps down. The supercharger on the X is pulling air directly from a cool source and the distance from the air filter to the intake manifold is tiny.

I really don't understand you supercharged X guys that are looking for more power. confused Anything more than the smaller pully is not going to net you anything powerwise. Now you can add Nawzzzz (for that extra ricer touch), but why? Even though the internals have been upgraded, are you sure they can even handle the 11 psi that the smaller pully puts out? I guess if you are willing to test the limits at the cost of a new engine then that is your choice I guess... :rolleyes:

BTW, here is some info about what it is... click me

Just remeber a fine mist will cool air, but anything more will cause hydrolock!!! eek

#410744 - 03/03/03 05:21 AM Re: 11 PSI boost
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
Actually Aquamist along with the other manufacturers of water injection systems say that they do benefit SC applications. True turbos might see the greatest benefit, but they will work in an SC motor. In fact one guy on the Frontier board has already installed the Spearco kit on his truck.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#410745 - 03/03/03 09:35 AM Re: 11 PSI boost
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
There is no need to do water injection on the supercharged X. Water injection is used to help further cool the air for turbo charged cars that are running huge boost (20 psi+) that have out grown their intercooler. Turbos create a lot of hot air and need the cooling capacity to get their air temps down. The supercharger on the X is pulling air directly from a cool source and the distance from the air filter to the intake manifold is tiny.
Actually you are wrong...any time you compress air it is heated. Without an intercooler (even at stock boost levels) the intake temperature is elevated after the blower. When the boost is increased temperature increases...and no it does not have to be 20+psi to generate enough heat to cause detonation. As well with a properly set up water injection system you do not have to retard the timing to alieve the pre-ignition detonation condition.

Quote:
I really don't understand you supercharged X guys that are looking for more power. confused Anything more than the smaller pully is not going to net you anything powerwise. Now you can add Nawzzzz (for that extra ricer touch), but why? Even though the internals have been upgraded, are you sure they can even handle the 11 psi that the smaller pully puts out? I guess if you are willing to test the limits at the cost of a new engine then that is your choice I guess... :rolleyes:
Relax coconut - I'm not blowing up your engine...don't take it so personal :p

Quote:

Just remeber a fine mist will cool air, but anything more will cause hydrolock!!! eek
A great point...good to remember for those not familiar with the system.

#410746 - 03/03/03 04:25 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Huey Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacopico:
Relax coconut - I'm not blowing up your engine...don't take it so personal :p
Did he just call me coconut? Yeah... I really have no comeback for that one as I have no idea what the refernce was to. :p

Seriously though, I'm just throwing out some info for those that are just modding without research, and yes I did know that you can gain from the water injection, but in *MY* opinion the $$$ to horse power ratio just dosn't quite make it worth it. That's all I'm done, mod away guys... smile

#410747 - 03/03/03 04:30 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Ag Bullet Offline

Loc: Garner, NC
It really isn't that expensive. A guy on our board just became a Tubonetics dealer, so he is gonna cut us a break on the kits offered by them. I think it is under $200. Not too bad...
My Ride
Most of the world's problems can be solved with blunt head traumas.

#410748 - 07/03/03 09:47 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
stereophile Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
jesus christ... what would the compression ratio skyrocket to with 11psi??!?!?!?!

i see blown headgaskets in someones future.
&
Project Manager
The Art of Audio

#410749 - 04/04/03 08:22 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
chase Offline

Loc: wilmington n.c
ok for you guy wondering about the boost potential of the x ive got it hear. 14.5 psi that what ive got so far and im in the works to get more. i have thoue blown one engine but not from this actually it was from a poor piston. my #1 cylinder went due from a cracked piston it scared the block and it was more cost effective to throw a new block in than hone it.but if u guys have any ? or just wont to pic my brain just ask im more than willing to divulge some secrets! [Too much XOC] [Finger]
Quote:
if it dosent look fast it probably is

#410750 - 05/04/03 06:30 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Huh? [Freak]

Quote:
Originally posted by chase:
i have thoue blown one engine but not from this actually it was from a poor piston. my #1 cylinder went due from a cracked piston it scared the block
Sorry that I don't read whatever language you're writing but could someone please translate...

"thoue blown"

and

"from a cracked piston it scared the block"

WTF? confused

Nice grammar my friend. :rolleyes:

#410751 - 05/04/03 09:52 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
jgncg0214 Offline

Loc: south ms
i have had a under sized pulley for a year or so with no problems. and i must say temp. is the biggest enemy of the sc so anything that can lower the air temp will help hp.

#410752 - 05/04/03 09:54 PM Re: 11 PSI boost
jgncg0214 Offline

Loc: south ms
btw my 2001 sc cc holds 10psi pretty steady throght 1st and 2nd and peaks between 11 and 12 psi in third.

#410753 - 15/04/03 10:47 AM Re: 11 PSI boost
oface Offline

Stable 12 psi now. 5th gear @ 105mph

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal