2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#411444 - 10/03/05 01:53 PM 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Im looking in to purchasing an 05 xterra and am investigating all the possible upgrades and aftermarket parts that are out there before I make a decision. Anyone know if the intake manifold is the same between the 3.3L 04 and the 4.0L 05? Im wondering if the supercharger will bolt up to the 05 xterra. Of course there will need to be a lot of changes, just wondering if it was possible. 265horse 285ftlb of torque is great, but more is always better! Thanks in advance.

#411445 - 10/03/05 02:06 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

be carefull flipping over on 265hp.

#411446 - 10/03/05 02:31 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The answer is no

Research Nissan engines, and you'll understand why

The new 05 Xterra has a VQ40 engine, which (from my understand) is relatively the same as the 350Z engine (VQ35). So, in time you will most probably have the possibility of having a supercharger for the new 05 Xterra, but it won't be from the VG33E (00-04 Xterra) engine.

#411447 - 10/03/05 04:48 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Made for the 350Z (VQ series)- STILLEN S/C KIT link
I have no idea if this is compatible really :rolleyes: Good luck [ThumbsUp]

#411448 - 10/03/05 09:32 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

not to hijack the thread or anything, but anyone here think this unit -- or any other one -- is better than the stock one? In two months of ownership, I've already had one replaced (under warranty) and it's already making noise, so an alternative wouldn't suck.

Just a thought.

#411449 - 11/03/05 07:18 AM Re: 05 supercharger?
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
When I was looking under the hood of the 05's I noticed there was an ample amount of room for a centrifugal supercharger. When I get mine I may look into having a shop do a custom SC bracket for me and new pulleys. With a little work and money anything can be done.

#411450 - 11/03/05 11:26 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very true Chia, anything is possible. I prefer to have a positive displacement supercharger though for the instant boost at low rpms. Good idea Just_Blue, I'll watch the 350z and see what comes out. I'll have to call the supercharger manufacturers and see what they can tell me. Since the engine can run on regular unleaded, a supercharger is a definite option and will provide the most significant increase in torque/hp. Think I can squeeze a chevy 540 under the hood? eek On a more serious note, I wonder how much power the rest of the drivetrain can take before blowin up? If I have to hammer the throttle to get up a 15% grade, rutted, muddy hill I dont want to scatter my tranny and differential parts along the way.

#411451 - 12/03/05 04:40 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I can answer that.

The rest of the drivetrain for the Xterra has one weak link. The CV joint on the rear drive shaft. That little baby is going to cause some havoc with too much power and a sticky situation.

Another thing to remember here is that the VQ40 is a stroked VQ35. Like a making a Chevy 383 out of a 350 (by putting in the crank of a 400, but that's another thread). The bore is identical, but the stroke of the crank is different. The pistons are also different, probably not as strong as they are clearanced for the long throw.

So in short, unless you could restrict yourself to below hmmmm.........say..5psi(?), then I don't think the engine would take the abuse you're talking about.

I could see a 4psi boost with good reliability. But I'll wait to see what comes around for the engine before I go ordering too many go fast parts.

By the way, the automatic transmission, it's from the Titan! Hammer away folks! And the 6 speed, you probably guessed it, a version of the one from the Z car, but with bigger bearings in it (no whining from the trans).

#411452 - 12/03/05 05:11 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A CV on the driveshaft? Wonder why...

Knew it was the Z 6-speed, not surprised it's the Titan automatic, so I presume the t-case is the same too? The part-time cases are the TX15B, full time (Armada, Pathy LE) are the ATX14B?

Brent

#411453 - 12/03/05 05:19 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

We were told that there were two different t-cases that were going to be used during the production run. So it could be either for the X and Fronty. They wouldn't give a straight answer as to why they were doing this, but I suspect it's a vendor issue.

The CV joint is probably for some of the NVH issues. Again, no straight answer on that, but the speculation was that the NVH was an issue. Probably trying to isolate some noise from either getting from the diff to the t-case or visa versa.

I don't even know yet if they're rebuildable or not.

#411454 - 13/03/05 01:41 PM Re: 05 supercharger?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you plan on off-roading? I would think 265 hp is more than adequate. By adding a better cat-back exhaust, K&N FIPk you will probably see another 15-20 hp. While the new engine is based on the Z engine, it is tailored for the X and is intended to be used differently. Concentrating on suspension, tire, and other similar upgrades will be easier on the wallet and will be more useable.

Moderator:  Ag Bullet, Paco Pico 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal