shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4118 - 20/10/05 04:00 PM Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Finally got around to removing my mudflaps yesterday...........Just thought I would share...... [Freak] cool

Robb

#4119 - 20/10/05 04:19 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Running around without your mudflaps on?

scandalous wink

#4120 - 20/10/05 05:46 PM Re: Flapless!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Now with winter on the way, you can put them back on. These help prevent gravel and other splash from chipping the paint and metal of the rocker panels, and extra mud and dirt from getting on the electrical wires under the back end. wink

#4121 - 20/10/05 06:40 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I removed my flaps a couple weeks ago.

#4122 - 20/10/05 06:56 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by oleblue:
Now with winter on the way, you can put them back on. These help prevent gravel and other splash from chipping the paint and metal of the rocker panels, and extra mud and dirt from getting on the electrical wires under the back end. wink
what gravel?

#4123 - 20/10/05 07:01 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

All that gravel and stuff you NY folks get form all that damned construction. eek laugh

#4124 - 20/10/05 07:10 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
will it really screw anything up that bad? frown

#4125 - 20/10/05 07:28 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would put them back on just in case. Unless you want the crap that they put on the roads in the winter on the side of your x.

#4126 - 20/10/05 07:31 PM Re: Flapless!
oleblue Offline

Loc: Winter Park, CO
Well - Mine have been off for 3 1/2 years. So far all is fine. But I have found more crud under the back bumper area. I just try to wash it more often is all. I don't think it is a big issue.

Now just before I took mine off, I found that snow would build up between the flaps and tire more than they do without the flaps. I would have to kick the snow out before I drove off.

With them on, it does help a little to keep crud off the sides. (oops that was just said)

#4127 - 20/10/05 08:45 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
will it really screw anything up that bad
Keeping them on in the winter will keep all that ROCK SALT they put on the streets there, before and after every snow flurry, from eating away at your X along with keeping pot hole debris from damaging your truck and also damaging other peoples windshields. Put them on in the winter, take them off when you need to. cool

#4128 - 20/10/05 08:54 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

mine broke in the winter, it got damned cold, the snow in there froze and broke the plastic when i tried knockin some of the snow out of the fender\flap and it split halfway down, i had em off all winter and i live in a city with lots of construction, nothing like NYC but i havent had any issues other than snow getting up in the fender, i usually run it through a wash every couple weeks or when it gets above freezing to get the salt off, i wouldnt worry about it cool

#4129 - 21/10/05 09:26 AM Re: Flapless!
efras Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
The mudflaps may help some, but with all the salt and sand on the roads around here in the winter, it still gets EVERYWHERE. All over the entire side of the truck. It has started wearing away at the paint below the back doors.

#4130 - 21/10/05 09:33 AM Re: Flapless!
BigE515 Offline

Loc: Chelmsford,MA
Putting my front mudflaps back on when the first snow comes. [Uh Oh !] If they'll fit with the 32's there, one way to find out! Or I could start another "trimming" thread on here hahaha.

#4131 - 21/10/05 09:35 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mudflaps or not, but if you are driving 40 mph the shit's gonna get everywhere anyway.

#4132 - 21/10/05 09:56 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

the only thing i dont get is, if the guys with bigger tires that trimmed, how do you put the flaps back on? i have no spot to attatch the flaps to even if i wanted to put em on

#4133 - 21/10/05 10:02 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah..like efras said..mudflaps don't help much around here.

#4134 - 21/10/05 10:14 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

you don't put them back on once you trim. Trimming tends to cut the mount points off.
Hell, you should not put them back on if you take them off. Take them off and sell them or just use them for something else. Like heat on up with a heat gun and reform the plastic into an ashtray for your house. Recycle it somehow you know?

#4135 - 21/10/05 11:19 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by mudx4x4:
i had em off all winter and i live in a city with lots of construction, nothing like NYC but i havent had any issues other than snow getting up in the fender, i usually run it through a wash every couple weeks or when it gets above freezing to get the salt off, i wouldnt worry about it cool
cool, i have access to an industrial power washer at work anyway, I used get the salt off my last car as much as possible.........so ill just hit underneath the rear and such........

Robb

#4136 - 21/10/05 01:28 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NYCe_XTerra:
Quote:
[b]Now with winter on the way....
will it really screw anything up that bad? frown [/b]
Nah.

I've had mine off for a long time it's fine. People who are worried about a lil scratch under their rocker panel are truly

#4137 - 21/10/05 02:00 PM Re: Flapless!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Mall crawlers need mud flaps...just hose the crud off if you don't have flaps...because if I have to choose between flaps and tires, guess what, flaps go bye bye.

Its easier to clean once in a while than to screw flaps on and off, that's for sure.

Besides...what's left is plenty for deflection of road detritus anyway...I've never had damage I would have avoided if I'd kept the flaps, and its not like I baby it either.

laugh

Mine came off in 2001 when the truck came home, along with the fru fru plastic roof crap and the cheesey step rails.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#4138 - 21/10/05 04:27 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am now flapless. I have been for some time. I drive on the highway, off road, construction sites, etc. I see no advantage for the flaps. They are sitting on the shelf in my garage, so if anyone wants a set for keeping your quarter panels clean :rolleyes: , let me know.

TJ, you have to clean that driver side door window! laugh

#4139 - 21/10/05 04:47 PM Re: Flapless!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Hey - That's my drivers side window sun shade decal of "Jesus, the Later Years..."

At first glance, it almost looks like there's someone in the driver's seat!

laugh

I have one on the passenger side window too, so I can use the car pool lanes.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#4140 - 22/10/05 11:19 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

im not sure how things will work out with the x yet seeings as this will be the first ny winter it will see... but i do know that on my last car (04 focus zx3) the salt/sand combo DESTROYED my quarterpanels around the wheel wells, the paint and clear coat was 95% stripped and on a black car that stands out quite a bit. so i know personally ill be looking for every way possible to keep that road junk off the paint and hope for the best once spring comes and the car is clean for more than 30min again.

#4141 - 23/10/05 06:16 AM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go over to the "Appearance" topic. Seems I saw a post where they painted the quarter panels with the Rhino or something similar bedliner stuff. It looked pretty good.

#4142 - 01/11/05 04:25 PM Re: Flapless!
Anonymous
Unregistered

now I took the step rails off yesterday........
muwahahaha! [Uh Oh !] [Too much XOC]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal