shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41721 - 17/02/05 08:36 AM deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have been a jeep man my whole life, I love their abilities off road but dislike the squirliness on the road in a wind storm or on ice. I am looking into the xterra as a compromise. How do these 4x4's perform off road for real; I assume that they high center often with the long wheel base and frame hanging down. How much would it cost to get one of these to run on 33's.
do any models come with lockers?

Sell my on the xterra; I go offroad almost weekly, it has to perform.

#41722 - 17/02/05 09:04 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 2005 Off Road model has a locker.
Just bought mine yesterday (S, not OR), so I can't really address your other questions. You might wanna try seaching for JEEP in this forum, I've seen lots of debates in this area!

#41723 - 17/02/05 09:10 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you get an the 00-04 model xterra, a good lift (3 inches) will run you in the $900 range, an upgraded steering kit will run you around $500. That will allow 33's. If you want, you can also do a 3 inch body lift for around $250. The only locker choice is an ARB air locker, or if you have the open dif in the back (not the LSD), you can get a lockright.

I would wait for the 05 Off Road, comes with 31's and a locker. Calmini has already been working on the lift... so you will be able to fit larger tires.

#41724 - 17/02/05 09:11 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
I would wait for the 05 Off Road, comes with 31's and a locker. Calmini has already been working on the lift... so you will be able to fit larger tires.
It comes with 32s (265/75R16s) doesn't it?

#41725 - 17/02/05 09:13 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Also, i continue to be impressed with my X's offroad ability.

Comming from a Jeep, I dont know how you will feel, but it is a very capable vehicle.

I havent really ran into anything i couldnt do, but i dont try the really extreme stuff...

I have a 1.5 inch lift. 32 inch BFG AT's.

#41726 - 17/02/05 09:14 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
Quote:
[b]I would wait for the 05 Off Road, comes with 31's and a locker. Calmini has already been working on the lift... so you will be able to fit larger tires.
It comes with 32s (265/75R16s) doesn't it?[/b]
Actually yea, you are right...

#41727 - 17/02/05 09:19 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
.........only locker choice is an ARB air locker, or if you have the open dif in the back (not the LSD), you can get a lockright.
The Lockright does not fit the Xterra open diff. either, if it did I would have got one a long time ago. wink

#41728 - 17/02/05 09:43 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by joe johnson:
I have been a jeep man my whole life, I love their abilities off road but dislike the squirliness on the road in a wind storm or on ice. I am looking into the xterra as a compromise. How do these 4x4's perform off road for real; I assume that they high center often with the long wheel base and frame hanging down. How much would it cost to get one of these to run on 33's.
do any models come with lockers?

Sell my on the xterra; I go offroad almost weekly, it has to perform.
Welp, if you're looking at the previous model (prior to '05 year), then yes, you can high center a lot more easily than in a TJ, but not any worse than an XJ (comperably equipped!). IMO, the biggest drawback of the X is it's departure angle. I drive a Frontier, but offroad w/ Xterras every now and then, and their departure angle leaves something to be desired, even w/ 33's. An dif you've got a rear hitch, it's like a boat anchor. Extremely annoying; especially coming from a Jeep, you'll notice that.

With a moderate amount of $$, you can build the X into a fairly capable offroading rig. It's not going to be a great rock-crawler, but w/ 33s, it'll handle a good bit, anyways. Obviously, a locker is a must, and the only ones available (front and/or rear) is the ARB. Great locker; steep price.

The front IFS is not a huge drawback, considering it's as comperable to any other IFS rig out there. Jeep Liberty comes to mind... It's still IFS, though, and it'll take you a little bit to get used to driving it offroad. You have to pick your lines a little better, because there's just not nearly as much droop avaialable as w/ a SFA. There isn't a quick and easy front disconnect for the front sway bar available; you'll have to either come up with your own idea, or just remove it altogether. The problem w/ it is that there's just no place to put it, once it's disconnected, that it won't interfere with something.

All in all, the Xterra is a moderately capable offroader, w/ some decent upgrades (SL lift, larger tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, lockers, etc.) It's not going to be a great rockcrawler, and it's not going to be a great mud bogger, but it will be fairly decent all around. If you're hitting extreme stuff, then I'd stay away from it. But if it's the ordinary, mild to moderate type trails, then it's definately a good rig. And it's dependability will keep you going for a very, very long time.

As for the '05s, well, it's so new, every single part on the truck is brand new, nobody can really know how good (or not) it's going to be. It's got a lot of potential, but then it has a few drawbacks, too. So it's still up in the air, right now.

#41729 - 17/02/05 12:31 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

to the guy running on 32's with a 1.5inch lift. How is that treating you? Where did you get the lift?
Its not that I do rock crawling but I do some slick rock driving up in sedona and moab; Im in arizona; so almost any trail here involves some sort of rock crawling.
How good is the crawl ratio. In my current jeep in 4wheel low and 1st gear I cant even make the spedo begin to move off of 5mph. Is the x's comparable?

#41730 - 17/02/05 01:18 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by joe johnson:
to the guy running on 32's with a 1.5inch lift. How is that treating you? Where did you get the lift?
Its not that I do rock crawling but I do some slick rock driving up in sedona and moab; Im in arizona; so almost any trail here involves some sort of rock crawling.
How good is the crawl ratio. In my current jeep in 4wheel low and 1st gear I cant even make the spedo begin to move off of 5mph. Is the x's comparable?
The 1.5 inch lift runs 50-150 dollars.. If you off road as much as you do, i would do the 50 dollar shackles in the back. and crank the tortion bars in the front. that will allow you to articulate much more in the rear. You also should disconnect your rear swar bar. the 32's give you a little more ground clearance, which looks nice, and is pretty effective.

I dont do much rock crawling, but ill climb up over rock stairs and similar type situations to continue on trails. I dont have much trouble, if you have a stick, you might burn up some clutch, cause the low range is low, but not really low. At idle you would probably be moving close to 2 mph.

You can get the new gears to really lower the ratio. That runs a little over $1000. I have not done that, and dont plan to. The low range is low enough for my purposes.

Does that cover it? I really dont think you will be disapointed, like i said, for $50 and a little manual labor, you can improve the X a great deal.. Tires are a must though, most X's new or used have some pretty crappy tires on them.

#41731 - 17/02/05 04:06 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A picture is worth 1000 words right?

Browse through our "members photos" pages. There are some really impressive shots.

here are a couple I randomly picked.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001817

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001740

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001583

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001521

My personal favorite:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=001623

Offroading aside, I'm sure the woman would rather ride in an X! laugh

#41732 - 17/02/05 07:42 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Crawl ratios for the '00-'04 Xterra:

M/T: 31-35
A/T: 24-26

Most stock 4x4's run in the mid-30's (higher is better). The Jeep Rubicon runs about 65:1, Wrangler with lower rear-end ratio (higher number) is in the 40's.

With aftermarket 4:1 gears, the Xterra's crawl ratio is basically doubled to 50 for A/T and 65 for M/T.

Take that info for what it's worth. There is a crawl ratio calculator in the "Info" section of the main XOC site.

#41733 - 21/02/05 11:31 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Chris Mc Offline

Loc: St Charles, MO
Quote:
Originally posted by ProlificX:
Offroading aside, I'm sure the woman would rather ride in an X! laugh
Depends on your woman. wink Mine (and her dogs) prefer the Jeep any day!

#41734 - 22/02/05 05:03 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Joe Johnson you have a PM

#41735 - 22/02/05 05:47 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Your gonna get more 4wd capabilities out of a jeep, period. Parts will be cheaper, there are more manufacturers to choose from for mods, etc. But it will still be a jeep

#41736 - 22/02/05 08:06 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The only jeep I'd ever get is the rubicon. they are pretty sweet, and they are body-on-frame built which is a must.

that said though, id still get the xterra because i hate american brands. a bunch of my friends have jeeps and ive ridden in most of them... totally overrated in my opinion. ive even out-wheeled a couple in my old stock 1995 4runner.

cool

#41737 - 23/02/05 01:56 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Buy a 2005 with the offroad package.

It has MUCH more power, lockers and comes stock with 31.7's (265/75R16 for the nismo offroad package). Drive all three (used X, jeep and the new X). I guarantee you'll buy the '05 X.

If I were on the market for a vehicle, I'd buy one today!

The IFS lift kits for the '05 will be a lot better, too.

Good luck.

#41738 - 23/02/05 02:22 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The big thing is that jeeps are cheaper to build up and if your looking for somthing to beat on you can't go wrong...I spent a lot on my X and I'm gonna be pissed if I roll it into a tree or slide back down a hill into a tree or ravine...with a free XJ (yes I know they are unibody and the problems with rolling one) or an old CJ...well it sucks for the tree...

I'm considering building up an XJ that I may be getting for free. It has 150k on it and needs to have the rear main seal replaced (dirty but not hard). For $2000 or less I will have a 4.5" lift, am SYE, and 33's on new wheels. To lift the X 3" will cost $1500 alone (lift and steering).

Maybe one day when I have my X paid off and it's not my DD I will SAS it and beat on it...but righ tnow I still have a pretty big loan out on it and I need it to get to work...

Tom

#41739 - 24/02/05 05:07 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unlimted with the Rubicon Package w/hard top is about the closest you can get to a '2-door X'.

And it costs almost 30K, has the narrow rear seat, no roof rack, not nearly the fit and finnish of the xterra....and it's a chrysler product.

#41740 - 24/02/05 07:38 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm with the other guy. Im thinking about buying a TJ just to wheel in. They are easy to build, cheep, and who realy cares if you bang it up right? The X on the other hand is 2 years old and cost to Damn much to realy go out and beat on. It will take several years of depreciation before I can justfuly go out and abuse that thing. So maby for now a second vehicle dedicated to off road adventure is the way to go.

#41741 - 24/02/05 09:02 AM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
surfingteacher Offline

Loc: Richardson
The X really can do a lot. That being said, I looked at how much it would cost to get the X where I wanted it (SAS and all that) and then found a good deal on a used Rubi. Wouldn't go back and do it over again if I could.

Oh yeah, my woman prefers riding in the Jeep, if she doesn't beat me to the keys first so she can drive it laugh
TNT #14
SWXC #95
I wish I could think of something clever to put here.
Cardomain

#41742 - 20/03/06 02:15 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris McCracken:
Quote:
Originally posted by ProlificX:
[b]Offroading aside, I'm sure the woman would rather ride in an X! laugh
Depends on your woman. wink Mine (and her dogs) prefer the Jeep any day![/b]
Hell, my woman bought a new Jeep. laugh She liked my prior 04 Jeep Sahara that I traded for my current Xterra. She likes the Xterra too, but wanted her own fun vehicle. Since we already had the Xterra, she bought an Unlimited Wrangler this weekend.

Best of both worlds! I know some are brand snobs, but I'm not. Both have the +s & -s. They are almost the same length. One obvious difference is the height of the Xterra (roof rack), and the cab forward design (optimizing inside room). The Jeep has gobs of room under the hood, but gives up cab room.

As a daily driver, the Xterra is an easy choice. But the performance and fun factor is high for both vehicles. :p

#41743 - 20/03/06 02:37 PM Re: deciding between jeep and xterra; got advice?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I lifted and regeared a '98 xj, then bought my '06 SE but didn't know it would end up living in Orlando forever.

I regret every penny and minute I put into my Jeep, though I maintain it meticulously as a dd in NY and have never been stranded. From the moment I drove my '06 SE off the lot, it felt every bit as capable as my xj, STOCK.

Just my opinion, my saving Grace is that it WAS borne of Smyrna, GA. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and I only spend about 25% of the year in Fl. for now there, but it makes me love me SE even more. Think locally, act Nissan...

Mike

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal