2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#41807 - 12/03/02 12:13 PM More LSD failure
olebiker Offline

Loc: Novato
After having the original Dif replaced by Nissan due to it not limiting slip, the replacement dif has the same problem. I was in contact with Nissan this morning and the rep seemed to think I burned the clutches by over revving or some such thing. This is not the case at all. I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with their limited slip rear end. I am beginning to wonder how many people out there do have a problem and do not even know it. Afer all, how often do we get out and check transfer of power from one wheel to the other? In both cases I had a person following and asked over the CB for them to check. If you know of any others having a problem, would you please post here or email me directly. I do not want to start a fight with Nissan, but simply gather information.
Thanks

#41808 - 12/03/02 12:50 PM Re: More LSD failure
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
Explain your test and I will try to duplicate it and will give you my results

ALAN

#41809 - 12/03/02 12:55 PM Re: More LSD failure
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
What type of surface were you traveling on ?

#41810 - 12/03/02 12:59 PM Re: More LSD failure
olebiker Offline

We were on a paved road covered with snow. In 2nd gear-low range one wheel would spin, applied hand brake, rocked vehicle from side to side, tapped foot brake. We did not over rev ( 2500 max) and tried different tests for only about ten seconds each. There was a racheting sound coming from the dif as though it was trying to engage but never did.

#41811 - 12/03/02 01:17 PM Re: More LSD failure
XOC Offline
Admin

Sounds broken. A clutch style LSD wouldn't make a ratcheting sound.

FWIW, mine only turns one tire on snow and ice as well.

#41812 - 12/03/02 01:22 PM Re: More LSD failure
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
The Xterra's LSD is weak. I think that your expectations mimght be higher that the Nissan LSD units capabilities

#41813 - 12/03/02 01:26 PM Re: More LSD failure
olebiker Offline

Thanks Ian. Does your's transfer power in other conditions such as crawling/climbing dry trails, in a torqued condition with little or no weight on one rear wheel? In other words when you want the sucker to work?

#41814 - 12/03/02 05:26 PM Re: More LSD failure
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
Can a LSD be upgraded on the X? If the stock is weak, anything proven out there that works with our trucks?

#41815 - 12/03/02 08:04 PM Re: More LSD failure
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by olebiker:
Thanks Ian. Does your's transfer power in other conditions such as crawling/climbing dry trails, in a torqued condition with little or no weight on one rear wheel?
No. If a rear wheel is off the ground, or has very little weight on it, the limited slip will do nothing, it's simply not strong enough.

#41816 - 12/03/02 09:29 PM Re: More LSD failure
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Remeber the limited slip IS NOT a locker.

It's also not a Zexel Torsen so pressing the brakes doesn't lock it up.

Clutch types only transfer a percentage of the power. But the Nissan LSD transfers so little its not hard to be in a situation with more traction than the LSD can transfer.

I want to find out if fastdrmr has video of boconn driving in the snow up to Top of the World. It was the first time I actually saw an Xterra LSD working, it looked like he had a locker in the rear.

Xterra101.com

#41817 - 14/03/02 04:52 PM Re: More LSD failure
olebiker Offline

I just picked the truck up and while at the dealer, had a conversation with the mechanic who did the work. He examined the clutch rings in the diff and found no defects. He said the lube was dark which indicated some burning but there was no evidence of anything inside the diff heating/burning. He did say the way they test the diff to confirm the limited slip is working is to hold one wheel and apply 130-180 ft lbs of torque to the other. If it holds in that range it is good. This means we can only expect this torque range of power transfered to the opposite wheel. It is not much. Locker time!!
Rock on!!

#41818 - 14/03/02 08:29 PM Re: More LSD failure
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
He did say the way they test the diff to confirm the limited slip is working is to hold one wheel and apply 130-180 ft lbs of torque to the other. If it holds in that range it is good. This means we can only expect this torque range of power transfered to the opposite wheel. It is not much.
True, considering a 5 speed Xterra will transfer about 1,600 pound feet of torque to each wheel in 1st gear, low range.

#41819 - 14/03/02 08:51 PM Re: More LSD failure
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
So XOC & Dustin,
are you implying that the LSD on the X is so 'minimal' that even a non-LSD equipped X could go where the Sport packaged version could go?
Places like, oh I don't know, GOX or MOAB? Maybe go places that certain X's from Texas(at the time) couldn't make it through the first time?
Perhaps, just maybe, and it is a BIG maybe, it has something to do with the driver?
Gee, that might spark an interesting discussion.
Of course everyone knows LSD RULES!!
Or does it???

All in good fun, of course. smile

#41820 - 14/03/02 09:33 PM Re: More LSD failure
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I think that without a LSD you'd still be able to do Kenny's Climb on Fins and things in Moab. wink

Offroading is definately 95% driver.

Xterra101.com

#41821 - 14/03/02 10:06 PM Re: More LSD failure
*paul Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
...apply 130-180 ft lbs of torque to the other. If it holds in that range it is good. This means we can only expect this torque range of power transfered to the opposite wheel. It is not much...
That torque is based only on the LSD spring preload. Under actual driving torque, the proportional outward reaction force from the spider gears squeezes the clutch plates together further, adding to the tendency for the wheels to lock together. This is why adding a fake load with the parking brake improves the chances of getting unstuck.

#41822 - 15/03/02 06:05 AM Re: More LSD failure
bn300 Offline

Loc: Buffalo, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Kerensky97:
I think that without a LSD you'd still be able to do Kenny's Climb on Fins and things in Moab. wink

Offroading is definately 95% driver.
I agree. But my seeds were not big enough! Just taking the by-pass was puckering enough. frown

#41823 - 15/03/02 07:17 AM Re: More LSD failure
fastdrmr Offline

Loc: SLC, UT
If you guys go to the UXOC Day 2 video, from 2:40 - 3:00 you can see TK1 going up Top of the World, it appears to be working well as you can see both rear tires switching/engaging... I am not a pro at this, but you guys tell me.

The video is under the video section... I did not get boconn going up the hill, sorry.

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal