2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4170 - 19/11/07 10:09 AM What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Alright fella's I need some help. I've noticed a small coolant leak over the past few days on my 2000 X and oddly enough the spot where the coolant is collecting and I initially discovered it is on the passenger side of the vehicle about 3 feet behind the engine compartment. In any case, I followed the wet trail up the under body from the drip to the engine compartment and it looks like I've found the source. Problem is I have no idea what the leaking hose connects to or how to even begin a repair. I've posted two pictures, one to show where the leak is located on the vehicle, the other is a close up of the "culprit" itself. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Now let's see if I can post these pictures correctly. Thanks in advance!

[/URL]
[/URL]

#4171 - 19/11/07 10:35 AM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Saturday Morning Offline

Loc: Shawnee, KS (Kansas City area)
That looks like the area where the Heater hoses and A/C lines pass through the firewall to connect to the A/C evaporator and heater core located behind/under the dash inside the vehicle cabin. I'm having a little difficulty making out which exact hose by the picture but it kind of looks like it may be the evaporator drain hose. In that general area there should be the following:

1. Heater hose in carrying hot anti-freeze from the engine to the heater core.
2. Heater hose out returning anti-freeze from the heater core to the engine.
3. A/C high pressure line in delivering high pressure freon to the evaporator core.
4. A/C low pressure line out returning freon from the evaporator core to the A/C system
5. Evaporator condensate drain hose. Drains the condensate created when the A/C is running from the evaporator (inside the cabin) to outside the vehicle.

If there is also a sweet sticky smell inside the cabin then you likley have leak at the heater core or the heater hose. If no anti-freeze smell and you've been using the A/C lately then it is probably the evaporator drain hose. What's the weather been like there lately? Running the A/C much?

Good Luck,
Saturday

#4172 - 19/11/07 03:27 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for your quick reply! There were two pictures when I first posted the thread. I'll add the second picture again so you can get a closer look. To answer your question regarding the A/C I haven't run it in awhile. The weather has turned cool here so the opposite would be true. The heater has been running. Here's the close up...

#4173 - 19/11/07 03:29 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll get the hang of this eventually smile

#4174 - 19/11/07 03:49 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I have bad news for you.

That is in fact the coolant hose that goes to your heater core.

That particular connection is part of the heater core itself and is made of plastic. The heat from the coolant degrades it.

Mine failed and I had to replace the heater core. Not fun.

Edit to add:

You might just be lucky and the hose clamp could be loose.
I will pray for you.

#4175 - 19/11/07 04:02 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well...not the best news in the world...but I suppose it's not the worst. I'd appreciate any advice that you may have before I tear into the project. My main question would be how easy/difficult would it be to check out the afore mentioned "hose clamp" to see if it may simply need to be adjusted?

#4176 - 19/11/07 04:53 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Just don't tighten (if it is in fact simply loose) the hose clamp too much, or you will crunch and crack the plastic fitting the hose mounts onto.....Don't ask me how I know. cool

Also....can you live without heat in your truck....you could bypass the heater core if need be. I did not do that, but it can be done.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#4177 - 19/11/07 05:56 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd consider bypassing it if I live in TX or FL but as it stands it can get a bit chilly during the winter here in KY (nothing compared to ND where I just moved from) and this is my families only vehicle. How easy/difficult is this hose clamp to access?

#4178 - 20/11/07 06:58 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[thread jack] That is one clean engine bay! [/thread jack]

#4179 - 20/11/07 07:35 PM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That hose with the arrow pointing to it is not a coolant hose. It is the AC condensation drain hose. The coolant lines are the two hoses above the one with the arrow. In the last picture you posted the one with the arrow pointing right at it is the AC drain and the hoses above the convoluted tubing are connected to the plastic nipples protruding from the firewall which are from the heater core.

#4180 - 21/11/07 01:47 AM Re: What does this hose connect to?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by saltus440:
That hose with the arrow pointing to it is not a coolant hose. It is the AC condensation drain hose. The coolant lines are the two hoses above the one with the arrow. In the last picture you posted the one with the arrow pointing right at it is the AC drain and the hoses above the convoluted tubing are connected to the plastic nipples protruding from the firewall which are from the heater core.
I don't have my X with me, but I believe you are correct. And if it's leaking on the engine compartment side I wouldn't worry about it since the hose only goes down to the lower part of the firewall anyway.

Oh, and even if it's cool out, if you have the defroster turned on it uses the A/C to dehumidify and so will drain.

#4181 - 21/11/07 11:17 AM Re: What does this hose connect to?
Saturday Morning Offline

Loc: Shawnee, KS (Kansas City area)
Sorry just getting back to this post, but with more info this time.

1. mikespug, the arrow you've drawn is pointing at the evaporator drain hose. saltus440 has it right.

2. when I asked if you've been running the A/C much I should've also asked "or the defrost" defrost setting does run the A/C unless the outdoor temp is below ~30, and even then it occasionally kicks on if the the engine bay is warm.

3. Go open the lid on the coolant reserve tank or pop the radiator cap (cold of course) and take a whiff. If you don't smell something similar inside the cabin then I'm going to stick with a stopped up evap drain hose. -which is good cause that's the cheapest, easiest possible cause. Run a pipe cleaner or similar through it to to remove the blockage.

4. If it's not the evap drain leaking and you're convinced its 'clean' water (ie. no smell) then look to another posibility i.e.; leaking windshield or roof rack, etc.

5. cgvalant - my thoughts exactly, that is one clean engine!

Good Luck

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal