shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418430 - 26/09/05 10:35 AM Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the SL sitting in my house. I was going to order the BL so I can run 33x12.5 but just found out the military is moving me to Vegas. I currently do not have a garage where I live so clearance isn't an issue.

How many people are running a 2" BL, 3" SL, 33" tires and fitting into their standarad 7' garage? As I search homes in Vegas it seems most are new and appeare to come with standard height doors of 7'. Not the 8' like according to my beer math measurements in my driveway I am going to need to make it in.

Bottom line... I don't want to fry everyday before work. smile I feel as though I can make the 7' door with a SL and 32" tires. Not the BL and 33" tires... like I said though... that was beer math in the driveway. Looking for some confirmation.

I need to make my decision fast because Jim at shrockworks is making my bumpers as we speak. I need to give him the specs of the BL or not.

#418431 - 26/09/05 10:54 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I think the X's are about 72" tall stock (6')...and you are adding 5" of lift + 1-2" of tire height (30" tire to 33" tire raises the X by 1.5")...so, worst case, the 3" SL + 2" BL + 33's, will add approximately 6.5-7"...

so, put a broomstick across the roof rack...and measure the distance to the floor, add what ever of the above isn't on yet...and see if you are over 80" yet. (I think my garage opening is 80")

laugh

Yes, its close.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#418432 - 26/09/05 11:00 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

so, put a broomstick across the roof rack...and measure the distance to the floor, add what ever of the above isn't on yet...and see if you are over 80" yet. (I think my garage opening is 80")

laugh

Yes, its close.

laugh
I've done this twice now. My neighbors think I'm crazy! I have a PML and 31.8in worn tires right now. I think if the garage is a true 84" heigh I am going to be REALLY close.

Right now with my beer math I sit at 78" in the rear of the truck. That is with the PML. I figure the full 3" lift will give me 2" more (running 3pk SLR AAL and 1.5 shackle), add the 2" BL and about 1" for tires. That's 83" for an 84" door. Now add in thickness of door and lips prior to entering.

Cutting it real close. I've got to give Jim a call ASAP so he can fab me a 2" bumper if that is what I want to do.

Why is my life so difficult. [Freak]

If I cruise up to your place TJ and oversee my BL installation (becuase I don't want to fubar anything) I could be persuaded. [Too much XOC]

#418433 - 26/09/05 11:24 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
TJ Offline

No problem...we can FUBAR it at my place.

laugh

BTW - you will not get 2" from the SLR AAL...it says 2" that settles to 1.5" if you read the fine print.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#418434 - 26/09/05 11:38 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

All right TJ... I just got off the phone with Jim. It is the 2" bumper he is going to send. He said I just had to drill 2 holes into the frame that are already in the bumper for extra bolts (I have a XD9000 w/synthetic line) to play with.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me... the BL is my biggest fear because I am unsure about installing it and none of my buddies here have put one on an X before. I just realized though in that last post you made that you are only about 3 hrs from me. I can supply the beer and pizza's for whoever shows up. Front bumper relocation isn't a big deal and neither is the rear because I have 2 Shrock bumpers coming. smile

#418435 - 26/09/05 12:02 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
I run 2"BL, 3" SL with 33x12.5x15's and I just fit in my garage. Have to remove my Loadwarrior and or lights to get in. Yes, I have forgot once or twice to remove them frown

I am not sure but I would imagine I have the 7ft standard door but not sure ....

#418436 - 26/09/05 12:55 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

PM sent TJ.

#418437 - 26/09/05 02:40 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
a little skinny pedal will get you in wink

#418438 - 26/09/05 02:44 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
TJ Offline

You can always do a GL as well...that typically takes care of it.

laugh

#418439 - 26/09/05 02:50 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey TJ, got your PM. I just nixed the BL (back and fourth I know). Well, I temporarily nixed it. When I get to Vegas and settle on a home the first thing I am doing is busting out the tape measure. If it works, I'll do it. If not, I won't. At least with my SL I "know" without a doubt I'll make it in the garage. That extra 2.5 inches for tires/BL is pushing me right at 83-84" in my beer math measurments. So, I figure better safe than sorry. Garage lifting a new home (we plan on buying new) would not be cost efficent. wink

I could still use some hands for other mods though and you're only a short trip away. [ThumbsUp]

#418440 - 26/09/05 04:04 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the guys in RMXC has this setup and the same door. He ended up taking of a piece of finish trim on the top of the garage door to fit in. It was only .5" but it made the difference.

#418441 - 26/09/05 07:45 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Unless I'm getting a bad measurement, my X sits about 78 inches at the tallest point with a 3 inch susp. lift and 32" tires. As long as you don't put anything on the roof you should certainly be OK for a 7' door, although it might look scary when you drive in! eek

I have an 8' garage door, so I got some lifting to do! [Finger] [LOL] [Wave]

#418442 - 26/09/05 08:08 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chuck, you're posts were instrumental in me realizing I didn't "need" a BL. I am going purchase 15in rims and run Dueller MT's. That will give me a decent footprint (which is why I wanted 33's) but won't suck power and make sure I am under the height to fit in a standard garage.

Also, after 4 seperate measurements today my X sits at 78" at the tallest point of the roof rack with just a PML.

Also, with gas the way it is right now I am sure I would be hurting with the 2"BL and 33's. The X is my daily driver and I'd like to keep it that way!

#418443 - 27/09/05 08:02 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont know about that...I have a PML and 3" BL wth 33s, Shrockworks bumper and sliders. I drive only about 120 miles per week but I only run down to inbetween 3/4 full and 1/2 a tank. To me that's pretty damn good so I guess it all depends on how you drive not what mods you have.

Dom

EDIT: oh yea...and my X fits into my garage with all that...but I would rather have my KC's up top then park in the garage. besides, I dont htink my mom would appreciate me kicking her out of the garage to park her 05' Murano in the driveway laugh

#418444 - 27/09/05 08:42 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
TJ Offline

Yeah - I'm averaging about 20 mpg WITH ~ 500 lb of armor, bumper/winch OBA, 3" SL + 2" BL + big 33's, etc...

The BL had no affect at all on MPG when I had just the BL...the Shrock bumper may have even improved my aerodynamics...and the 500 lb of armor cost me a mpg.

laugh

#418445 - 27/09/05 09:31 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right now my commute is 60mi round trip and when I move out to vegas I imagine it will be at least 40mi round trip becuase I want to live in Henderson.

I am just going to wait and see how close I am to not fitting in the garage in the new home before I BL the X. I think that for right now I made the correct choice by not having a monster truck. smile

#418446 - 27/09/05 09:50 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Time to dig a lower driveway. [LOL]

#418447 - 27/09/05 10:05 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Exactly... if I did it it would be a count flip as to if I could make it in a standard garage. I'm sure I would if the door itself when up was above 7' and there was no lip at the seam.

#418448 - 27/09/05 02:57 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

A couple people in PNWX, myself included are running roofracks designed by NWparts rather than have load warrior that sticks out above the roof rack a good 4"-5". Check out this thread for details:

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=003659

#418449 - 27/09/05 03:16 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't have a LW or any rack on top other than OEM. My X is just too damn tall I guess. As Chuck reported his height is 78" with the full lift. Well, mine is 78" with just an AAL in there. I will be putting on Dueller MT's 32x11.5x15 and adding shackles in the rear (1.5inch) and switching out my AAL for a 3pk AAL. I figure I will be up to 80" easily. Add a BL and 33x12.5x15 wheels and I will be right near 83". With the door open I probably wouldn't fit... it would be damn close.

Keep in mind I don't "own" the home yet. Still have to fly out to Vegas and look at them. I am just going off a standard garage height.

#418450 - 27/09/05 08:48 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i live in a new house here (the LV) and you are most likely gonna get a standard 7 ft garage. Now, i have seen some older houses that have a bigger garage but they are nicer and bigger houses.

a lot of older houses i have seen, seem to have kinda smaller ones (especially some of the duplexes)

Now, i was in the military and considering the housing market out here (R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S!!!)and i could probably safely assume that you won't be buying one of the nicer/bigger ones. and the apartment garages are pitiful. so i wouldn't get too crazy till you move out here.

the sun and heat are freakin brutal out here in august. but, i am sure you will be getting up before it is a problem. it is wether or not it is covered at work that is a problem. tint makes a HUGE difference on the solar heating, not just the air.

as for an example of the housing market. i am in a 988 sq ft brand new house. it is basically a 2 bedroom appt w/ a full 2 car garage, but i don't share walls w/ anyone. i have no yard. let me repeat that, NO YARD. aside from the fact that no new houses can have grass in the front, my driveway is so short, the back is in the street and the front is in the garage.....and i have had a tent bigger than the back yard......!

wanna guess a price...

no shizzle

so i rent it for 900/m. not too bad

i know a few realtors that i can hook you up with.

and there is TONS of off roading to do, be nice to have someone to go with.

#418451 - 27/09/05 09:08 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I was worried about the X being stranded outside in the brutal heat. I see what you mean everything is a standard 7ft. I was looking at the sites and didn't see ANYTHING with larger doors. Alaska was an option for the move to and if we went there it seemed like all the houses had huge garages. Well, at least I think I'll have more fun in Vegas.

My wife and I are considering having a new home build in Henderson. I am an O-3 and she is an O-2... plus we are making some serious money on our house in the DC area (we bought here too). LV is one of the fastest growing housing markets in the US right now. We will be flying out in Dec to buy.

As a matter of fact... knowing that I will make money on this house is how I went willy nilly and bought all of the mods for the X I have been wanting since day 1. The only thing left will be lockers and a BL (which I don't want until I can be assured I fit into a garage in LV).

It would be awsome to have a local hook up for offroading. I plan on having my garage set up nicely (air tools, ect). Wouldn't mind helping you do some mods so I can check out the new models.

I plan on driving my X into the ground and then trading in for a newer model in about 4 years since cars are always a losing proposition.

#418452 - 27/09/05 09:25 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
ChuckH Offline

Maybe I should check my measurements? I'm gonna be mad if you have a PML and more lift than me! [Finger]

The Duelers kick ass; I'm confident you will be happy with them. Plus they look way cool and we all know that's what really matters! laugh

#418453 - 27/09/05 09:32 PM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LOL... now I just have to decide to keep the BFG AT/KO's... I bought 5 DR Rims for the new muds.

I am thinking 2 sets of tires might be handy BUT... I am also thinking what I might get back $ wise if I sell the 4 BFG's mounted to 16" SE Charcoal Rims (I have a 5th SE rim but nothing mounted now).

I had to get the 15" tires to get the wider foot print (which is why I was considering a BL in the first place). The smaller rims were a comprise but ended up costing me more $ in the long run. Better I guess than having the X bake out in Vegas for 3 years.

#418454 - 28/09/05 02:41 AM Re: Fitting inside garage with BL and SL?
ChuckH Offline

Damnit, now it's getting shorter! 76.5" with the bald 31" Pirellis on, so I guess that would come in close to 78" with the Bridgestones.

Oh well, I still have an 8 foot high garage door. laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal