2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418488 - 12/01/05 08:50 AM How much to crank?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yo guys,

My wife`s X came with the Waag push bar and brush guard. I know you don`t recommend it , but it`s on , she likes it , therefore it`ll stay.

It weights somewhere around 50 pounds and from where I sit, The X looks like it could need a little cranking of the torsion bar to level it out.

Question is to you X Gurus; How much front end drop was caused by the weight of the Waag. I know a lot of you guys removed it and I was wondering if you noticed how much droop was released????

I`d remove it and measure it, but I had it rhino sprayed and had the hardest time putting it back on.

Thank you.

#418489 - 12/01/05 08:57 AM Re: How much to crank?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Most likely it wouldn't go up much at all, if any. 50lbs, isn't enought to make the front end sag any noticable amount.

#418490 - 12/01/05 09:23 AM Re: How much to crank?
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Check the vehicle "posture" or "lower arm pivot height" (basically another way to measure ride height) and see if it is still within specs... that will tell you if you need to crank.

Basically you measure from the ground to the center of the lower link spindle (the center of the forward bolt that holds your lower A arm to the frame). Then you measure from the ground to the bottom of the steering stopper bracket (a little piece welded onto the A arm that the steering bottoms out against...)

Subtract the two values to get the posture measurement.

For a 4WD VG33E or VG33ER vehicle it should be between 1.791" and 1.949"

For a 2WD it should be between 1.484" and 1.642"

Oh - the VG33E is the non-supercharged 6cyl Xterra engine code. I *assume* that the VG33ER is the supercharged version.

I got these values from a Frontier manual - but they look like what I remember from the Xterra manual... 99% sure they are the same.

#418491 - 14/01/05 06:31 AM Re: How much to crank?
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
In short, the X comes from the factory with a slightly nose down attitude...mainly so if you load the cargo end...it won't compress lower than the front, which would unweight the steering end and cause handling quirks.

If you don't put weight in the back...leveling doesn't hurt you.

laugh

The Waag shouldn't sag it by itself...

You could always get a set of $50 lift shackles for the rear, and crank the front up ~ 1.5", and have a 1.5" suspension lift....with room to raise or lower the front to adjust the attitude to your liking.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal