shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418592 - 24/04/08 11:08 PM Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm having trouble figuring which bilstein shocks to order, I'm specifically looking into the 7100 series shocks, front and rear set. If anyone has these, any information would be greatly appreciated [Smoking]

Little background though: PML, t-bar adjustment, and 32" bfg muds.

#418593 - 25/04/08 05:37 AM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can I ask? Why the hell you feel the need for 7100's with just a longer shackle ? Don't waste your $$$ especially up front.

#418594 - 25/04/08 02:02 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's gonna be the start of a longer process, I have a local fab shop wanting to work with me on the X, going for a more "cross-runner" style, I just need to figure out a couple logistics, i.e. valving and what not. Decided that a coil-over front is gonna cost an arm and a leg, so I might be going double up front for some of the bigger hits and a more control over rougher terrain. This is all up in the air, har har.

#418595 - 25/04/08 06:40 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

then let them spec your shocks...

#418596 - 25/04/08 08:15 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
Quote:
I just need to figure out a couple logistics, i.e. valving and what not.
Are you planning on running the bilstein 7100 series coilovers or just regular 7100 series?

Call up e-shocks.com
They are extremely helpful when it comes to valving and custom applications like what you're describing.

I'm doing something similar.
Only I went with Fox 2.0 10" travel coilovers up front with IFS. Just waiting for my fabricator to get some free time and we'll work out the rest. I want to maximize the IFS, and eventually lose the torsion bars.
If it doesn't work out well with the IFS, at least I already have the 10" travel coilovers for an easier SAS. laugh
BTW.. The place that I ordered the Fox coilovers from asked about the valving and I described the application and they valved it accordingly.
Bilstein shocks are the same way. Most of the 7100 series shocks can be purchased with specific valving or can be custom ordered.

Good luck with it. [ThumbsUp]

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#418597 - 25/04/08 08:28 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

7100 reservoir non coil-over

#418598 - 25/04/08 08:46 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
01SalsaXterra Offline

What length travel do you plan on running?
They appear to only come in 8"+ of travel.
That would require you to run a shock hoop or extended shock tower.
Stock won't cut it.

As for valving, check with eshocks.com, but for an SUV based on their website, you should go with 360/80.
Or if you're running two of them per side, then 180/75 for each.
http://eshocks.com/bil_Orgd.asp

ETA: When I spoke with eshocks about possibly running the bilstein 7100 series coilovers without torsion bars, they gave me bilstein's direct phone number and I spoke with the racing department. They advised against running the 7100 series coilovers due to the 14mm shaft thickness. They said that an Xterra would probably just bend the shafts.
Just something to think about.
Race runners have a 7/8" shaft thickness, threaded bodies and can be run with or without coil springs.
So at least you have room for future improvement if you want.

I got "IT" from ebay.

#418599 - 26/04/08 12:18 AM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for that information. Yeah, I was looking into fabricating some shock hoops and possibly two per side, though as its looking, that might be a bit on the expensive side (ya know, unless I ended up as a pre-runner for a race team, far fetched idea though) we'll have to see how this all pans out, I know I'm going up the tire size, somewhere around a thrity three or larger, and definitely upgrading the front end, as it looks though, the total chaos system is looking better by the hour, but eh. Thanks a ton for the info though salsa, five trucks to you, haha.

#418600 - 26/04/08 09:37 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
01SalsaXterra Offline

Not a problem at all.
Personally, I wouldn't run 2 shocks per side. Definitely cost prohibitive if you run bilsteins.
Coilovers would definitely be cheaper than 2 bilsteins per wheel.
If you have aftermarket control arms, you can probably take it to a fabricator and have them mod the control arms to clear coilovers.
Then run the coilovers in addition to the torsion bars.
That should help out significantly with the prerunner stuff.
The shock length you should look into is 8.5" travel with a shock hoop.
The TC lift is really nice, but a bit pricey.
Just about as much as a SAS, but you are increasing the track width.
There are a couple people running it on here with great results.
Contact EditorX for more info. He's been running it a while.

I didn't want the increased track width, so I'm just going to reinforce the lower control arms, mod the uppers and run custom shock hoops.

Good luck with your build.

I got "IT" from ebay.

#418601 - 12/05/08 09:46 PM Re: Bilstein 7100
Anonymous
Unregistered

I had these on the front of my X for awhile and they were soft because of the valving. I decided that I was just going to buy some ranchos because it was cheaper then to revalve.. I talked with bilstein on this many times. They said 360/80 would be good if you were to revalve them yourselves but he said for the front of an xterra he would do a custom 400/104.. or was it 440/104 i cant remember for sure. Just call up Shane at bilstein. I need to sell them now.. let me know if you're looking to buy. Theyre 2 months old.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal