2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418625 - 27/06/04 03:52 PM Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been narrowing down my options for a lift and have settled on this one. All feedback is welcome:

- Calmini AAL rear 1.5" lift
- Calmini shackles rear 1.5" lift
- 4x4Parts Front 3" lift C licky
Feed back?

#418626 - 27/06/04 04:39 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds alot like what I am running. Rather than just getting the front kit, get the Rancho AAL that comes with the kit from 4x4parts.com. Even with the extra leaf, I still needed the Calmini shackles to even things out. Also get (or trim down) some lower profile front bump stops for more travel. I have this setup and it is working great. The only problem I am having now is finding rear shocks that have enough travel, yet don't bottom out at full compression. The shackles give you more travel then you think. The AC lift is a quick and easy install, took me 3 1/2 hours with simple tools. Bit of advice, use lock-tite!

#418627 - 27/06/04 04:51 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
get the Rancho AAL that comes with the kit from 4x4parts.com.
Do you have a link to it? I can't seem to find it.

Quote:
The only problem I am having now is finding rear shocks that have enough travel, yet don't bottom out at full compression.
Sh*&.....I'm trying to keep costs low. Was hoping I could hold on to the stock shocks, buy up the hardware I listed in my first post, and sink other money into a new steering system (Calmini's).

#418628 - 27/06/04 05:57 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

The AAL is included in the lift kit, but there is also a shackle option, take the AAL.

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...45ab049e1c12088

you can't keep your stock shocks because they are too short by about 3 inches after you lift it. The 4x4 parts kit is the cheapest I was able to find, but it is still high quality. Wait on the steering upgrade untill you really need it, your stock setup will wear more quickly, but will work for now. You will also need to flip your front sway bar, and tweak a few more things to keep everything working like you want it.

#418629 - 27/06/04 06:33 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Danimal:
get the Rancho AAL that comes with the kit from 4x4parts.com
I recall hearing that the Rancho AAL should be avoided because it is too short and stresses the spring. Get Calmini or SLR AALs if that is the route you decide to go.

#418630 - 27/06/04 06:39 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check this out for the rear Clicky

$50 ain't bad for the rear.

#418631 - 27/06/04 07:59 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah, I saw that earlier. Problem is, I can't wait 6 days for the auction to end and it'll probably more than $50. I have some time booked off for the 3rd week in July. I've got a camping/wheelin' trip planned for that time, and need to have the susp. lift installed by then, which means I need to have the parts by end of this week. Which means I do the work soon after that and test locally, etc... My buddy is actually trying to convince me to do the Rubicon after the 3" lift. NOT! (yet)

#418632 - 27/06/04 08:02 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

So let me get this straight:

- Ok to do the 3" front suspension lift from 4x4 parts, with some tweaking.

- Ok to do the Calmini AAL and shackles for a total of 3" in rear.

- Need (really? Need?) to replace stock shocks.

#418633 - 27/06/04 08:14 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

You've got everything right. You do need new shocks. If you are in a hurry, you might want to look at Calmini over 4x4parts. They are more pricey, but very well worth it. I had to wait almost 3 weeks to get my lift kit from AC, despite many calls and emails to check up on my order.

#418634 - 27/06/04 08:27 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I got the full Calmini lift ($979.95, per their website), how long would it take to install? Assume 2 guys that are reasonably adept with vehicle modifications and tools.

#418635 - 27/06/04 09:53 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hard to say. Lots of people spend all day banging on a pickle fork trying to seperate their ball joints because they bought the wrong size, mine came right out. I would say between 4 to 6 hours, conservatively your results may vary. Once you figure out what you are doing on one side of the front, everything else goes quick. Back leafs and shackles should only take an hour. Plan on a few days of adjusting things so that you go straight and nothing rubs or is loose, then go get an alignment (more money you hadn't planned on spending) Calmini is very good about shipping on time, and including good instructions.

#418636 - 27/06/04 10:02 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp] THanks Danimal! [ThumbsUp]

I was just now starting a spreadsheet comparing the two (I'm an accountant). But figuing the "hassle" factor, Calmini seems to be the best option, even if a bit more expensive.

The time estimate sounds pretty reasonable. I read another post that says "25-30 man hours" to complete a suspension lift.

WTF [Huh?]

#418637 - 27/06/04 10:13 PM Re: Please....your thoughts on this susp. lift
Anonymous
Unregistered

Take into account that Calmini is a better product too. I would have gone with them if I had the cash and the knowledge that I do now. Good luck, and if you have any problems or questions, they are great about awnsering them. Also a lot of knowledgeable folks around here to talk to. Glad I could help, just wish I was there turning wrenches with ya.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal