2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418826 - 25/02/07 10:24 PM Steering column play '02
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have an '02 4x4 with 100k + on it, and have started developing axial play in my steering column, meaning that I can push and pull the steering wheel fore and aft, a measured .200 " which is almost 1/4" It seems to have dropped to the floor alittle, due to a thrust bearing maybe? It never used to ride on the column trim cover and now it does. I verified that the wheel itself is not coming off. the nut appears to still be torqued. What gives?

#418827 - 26/02/07 03:07 AM Re: Steering column play '02
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
A long, long, long time ago back when my X was just a few months old I had the exact same problem. The dealer replaced my whole steering column under warranty. SOmething about the collapsible part of the column collapsing without actually being in an accident? I think what happens is the collapsible inside gets compacted so then the column tubes have play in them. Don't know if that's your problem for sure; just that's what the dealer told me was wrong with mine.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal