shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418927 - 07/09/07 06:30 PM need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently went to Southern Off Road to get a price quote and i am not positive if they are ripping me off or not....

Nissan 3" lift kit- $ 979.95
Special shipping charges- $ 50.00
Install lift kit- $ 375
Lubes, towels, misc hardware- $ 15
Alignment- $ 89.95
305/70/16- $ 669.84
16 x 8 6 on 5.5 rock crawler- $ 302.60
Mouth and balance tires- $60.00
Lug Nuts- $36.00

is this a good price or should I go with the body lift instead???? advice would be greatly appreciated

#418928 - 07/09/07 06:44 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

All the prices are fair. I am assuming they are ordering the Calmini 3" kit. Being a 4x4 shop I think they could part together a better kit. I see absolutely NO reason to even put the shocks included in the lift kit on your truck. They are really that bad, so why buy them. The Sway bar links are also a waste of $$$ because no one runs the sway bar and proper shocks will do some of the sway bar job anyway.
Have the shop look into buying the parts you really do need (Upper Control Arms, T-Bars, shackles, AAL or new leaf spring pack, and good shocks.) They/you can choose these parts from Calmini, Automotive Customizers, Spencer Low Racing, or Total Chaos.
The installation prices seem fair though I would suggest you look for someone in your area willing to help you do it yourself. That way you save money and learn about your truck. It really isn't rocket science.
One thing you will need and have ignored is some sort of steering upgrade. Running the bigger tires will kill the stock steering fast even with just a body lift and even faster with a suspension lift.

#418929 - 08/09/07 08:56 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree that the prices appear reasonable, but on the high side of what I'd consider a range of possible costs.

I went the SLR route and bought the following:
- 26.5 Torsion bars: $195
- Stage suspension setup: $695 (I already had some of the parts)
- SLR Steering $708

I already had, installed in the last year:
- 20% stiffer Bilsteins (5100), $240
- SLR 2" Shackle $50
- Idler arm brace: $60

So, it's not a cheap upgrade, but in my opinion, it's worth it. The torsion bars are a must, as is the steering. When I looked at the stock setup vs the SLR product, there was no comparison and I felt the difference immediately.

I also agree that this is something that you and someone else could do yourself. While your quote is only $375 for the install (which seems low), doing this work will help you to understand how the pieces go together so that you can crawl under your truck in the future and not have to pay someone for something that you and a wrench can do pretty easily.

#418930 - 08/09/07 09:26 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks a lot that really helped I may just do it myself like you guys said...... I may just leave the steering upgrade to the shop because I am almost positive that I will mess it up.... How long do you think that I can run the 33's without messing up my stock steering... I will not be doing any serious wheeling for a while.. maybe just some camping and fire roads but that may be all....

#418931 - 08/09/07 09:31 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

You are going to need a body lift to run those tires anyways, just do both and be done with it. Also, you are going to nees new cam bolts from the dealer.

#418932 - 08/09/07 09:47 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks bro will do

#418933 - 08/09/07 05:09 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

The steering is EASY!
As long as you have a pitman arm puller, you should be in good shape. In fact, if you do an SL with help, you'll be more than well enough prepared for the steering.

As for how long you can run 33s without a steering upgrade, it really depends on how worn your current system is and how you drive. Personally, if I weren't wheeling, I might the upgrade a lower priority, but would take things a little easier for the duration.

On... and, I agree, if you're going to do the SL, the BL is a cheap addition. I was with two guys that had done a few before and it was mostly done in a night.

#418934 - 08/09/07 05:12 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh yeah..forgot.
On the cam bolts:

Get the bolts, washers and nuts. I replaced the bolts and nuts when I first did the SL, but ended up stripping out two of the washers. So, I had to go in a few days later and replace all the washers - which would have been a whole lot easier if it were done when the other parts were replaced.

#418935 - 08/09/07 06:52 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
A quick note: IF you are doing this to fit 33's....and are not planning on anything more than fire roads, etc...you do not need any of that above stuff...just get a 2" BL....the parts are about $65, a pre-made kit runs $185 or so.

Add an idler arm brace and call it a day.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#418936 - 08/09/07 08:52 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok notes taken thanks a lot for the advice i will do all this and keep you informed on how well it goes... it should be to hard

#418937 - 08/09/07 08:59 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

shouldn't be to hard i apologize for my grammer

#418938 - 08/09/07 11:15 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ATL4x4BROOKS:
I recently went to Southern Off Road to get a price quote and i am not positive if they are ripping me off or not....

Nissan 3" lift kit- $ 979.95
Special shipping charges- $ 50.00
Install lift kit- $ 375
Lubes, towels, misc hardware- $ 15
Alignment- $ 89.95
305/70/16- $ 669.84
16 x 8 6 on 5.5 rock crawler- $ 302.60
Mouth and balance tires- $60.00
Lug Nuts- $36.00

is this a good price or should I go with the body lift instead???? advice would be greatly appreciated
I think that you are getting ripped! That is because I am a penny pinching little deal searching bargain hunter.

Lug nuts....Buy some locking lug nuts...$8 if you really want them

Mount and balance tires. You can get shops to do it for $50. Look hard.

Alignment....$50...again, look hard

Lift kit...get an AAL, some shackles, and new UCA's (not Calmini) and save money. Calmini shocks blow donkey dong. At least that is what I heard. Stick with stock T-bars until the are shot.

Install the lift yourself -$375 is what you are saving.

Shipping charges actually sounds right

Lubes towels, and misc hardware-Hardware comes in the kit. Towels....You do not need towels really. Lubes-$6 at your local auto store

As far as tires, shop around again. Sometimes you can get a 4 for the price of 3 deal, and sometimes you can get a $100 gift card too. Look all over the internet and have someone price match it. They will do it if they can. They can.

I would stick with the stock rims-personal choice

Body lift...$65

#418939 - 09/09/07 09:47 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea thats what everyone says i went to another shop the other day and said that they would do it for a lot less... but i think i will just do it myself because i wanna spend time with my honey aka xterra... i need to get to know her a little better than i already have... thanks for the info i am looking hard and finding mostly what i need i heard that you have to extend the gas tank vent lines and power steering fluid reservoir lines on a 3 inch body lift...

#418940 - 09/09/07 03:45 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

For the 3" BL...yes, for the SL, no

#418941 - 09/09/07 06:19 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

the body lift looks likes a good deal but i think i can muster up some strength to do a suspension lift i am looking at a set up and it seems like everything is there does this setup look sufficient for long term use.....

http://www.4x4parts.com/public_html/shop...b7929343c22c753

#418942 - 09/09/07 07:13 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

FYI, results will vary.

I ran 33x12.5 for about 20,000 miles with no steering upgrade except a an idler arm brace. I did wheel it rather often during that period.

My steering was completely toast when I replaced it with aftermarket.

#418943 - 09/09/07 07:16 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

thats interesting how much would a steering upgrade set me back???

#418944 - 09/09/07 07:36 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out SLR or Calmini for pricing. It'll be a penny but is worth it, unless you're ok with replacing stock centerlinks.

L&P is reportedly back producing steering and I have their system. My experience with them was a little harsh, as they would not get back to me for 8 months, but their produc is top notch. However, my case might have been unique.

#418945 - 09/09/07 09:15 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I jave the SLR steering. I love their product. And yes, Tony is right, it is a pretty penny, but worth it in the end. If you do want to swing a SL, then AC is of good rapport. I am happy with my SLR product and I think if I had the choice, I would go with SLR. But if I had the choice, I would go SAS instead.

#418946 - 09/09/07 09:52 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of choices here, if I had my choice I would live in Colorado Springs. laugh [ThumbsUp]

#418947 - 10/09/07 09:23 AM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just got the hooha steering, it is the same and L & P and SLR pretty much. And only 225$. great product and Bryan is pretty fast.

#418948 - 10/09/07 12:29 PM Re: need advice on a three inch suspension lift????
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea steering seems to be a necessity... i am just gunna do it all at once and knock it out.... i am pretty sure that i can just install it myself with the help of some buddies.... the suspension not so much...

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal