2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418991 - 03/03/06 11:50 AM Another Torsion Bar Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure what i should do here.

I have 3" calmini lift system with their torsion bars, and i recently installed a Winch bumper and winch. My front end is almost hitting the bump stop it is sagging so much.

Can i just crank the tortion bars again to regain the height in the front? Or will this put too much spring load on the torsion bars? I've also been trying to figure out the whole re-indexing concept, and if that should be my solution?

confused

#418992 - 03/03/06 12:07 PM Re: Another Torsion Bar Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

How bad is the sag in terms of appearance? The winch bumper and a winch will not make it sag all that much, unless maybe when you cranked the t-bars initially the locking nut wasn't tightened enough and they became loose and sagged.

#418993 - 03/03/06 01:00 PM Re: Another Torsion Bar Question
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Crank the bars. If you run out of adjustment before you get the desired height, you'll have to re-index them. That involves raising the front on stands while the suspension is at complete droop, then backing off the adjusters until there is no tension on the bar. You then take the rear end of the bar out of the adjuster, rotate the adjuster down another 3 or 4 splines, and put the bar back in before re-cranking.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#418994 - 03/03/06 01:01 PM Re: Another Torsion Bar Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can go ahead and crank the torsin bars, to return your X to the pre-bumper/winch height. If you cannot crank the torsin bars enough to do this, because the anchor arm will hit the frame, then you will need to reindex them. Which is basically reinstalling the T-bars, with enough room to crank them so your ride height is proper. Make sure you get an alignment after you do the work.

#418995 - 03/03/06 02:55 PM Re: Another Torsion Bar Question
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh.. now i get it. There is a limit to how far you can crank torsion bars (anchor arm)! Now it makes sence. I thought that you could crank them infinatly, which is why i didn't understand the entire reason for reindexing. Well in this case, i'll just crank the torsion bars again and see if that does the trick. [ThumbsUp]

Thanks guys.

[Wave]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal