2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#418998 - 23/07/04 02:26 PM Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey everyone,

I've installed the Calmini Lift on my X and noticed the creaking sounds I've seen other post. I noticed the sounds after the alignment. After an off-roading trip, here's what I've noticed:

- If I rock the X from side to side while stationary, the sounds are especially pronounced, and it looks like it comes from one, some, or all of the following: upper control arm bushings (those green ones), front sway bar bushings, and/or possibly the bump stop underneath the upper control arms. The sounds are incredibly noisy while driving, especially where there is even mild upper control arm travel.

To test, I applied a lubricant (WD40, actually) to all three places. Presto change-o, no more creaking sounds. However, I also noticed that the noises are louder after a good amount of continous travel (50+ miles). Heat expansion perhaps makes parts rub against each other too much? Maybe all that is necessary is more lubricant?

- However, I noticed that there was no space between the bump stop and upper control arm. I know this will keep the front wheels from going lower, but the truck is pretty level now. So if I adjust torsion bars to lower a bit, front will look lower than rear. Is it a problem to keep at current height? Assume that I do trails rated at 6-7 at least 4x per month.

Steering system is awesome! It's pretty tight, and installation was pretty simple.

#418999 - 23/07/04 04:02 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Well, after banging it arround on and off-road for a week or so your torsion bars should settle at which time you can re-adjust them.

You need at least 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch between the upper controll arm and the bumpstop. You are severely limiting your travel with zero clearance as well as giving yourself a very harsh on road ride.

Did you do the entire lift? The X sits ass high right out of the gate. If you did the shackles and the add-a-leaf then you added three inches in the rear. This coupled with the UCA arms and maxing out the t-bars gave you three+ inches in front.

Your net result was an ass up look as was delivered from the dealer only now you are three inches higher in the front and back.

#419000 - 23/07/04 05:22 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you grease the bushings prior to installing them? Also did you add zerk fittings to the a arms? After installing my lift wth the green bushings it creaked pretty bad. I did install new swaybar bushings which helped some but I endied up htting the zerk fitting with more grease and its been quiiet now for 1k miles. If you havent added zerk fittings you may want to add them to keep the squeeks away.

#419001 - 24/07/04 09:47 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
In addition to the bad ride, having your upper bumpstops touching is also potentially dangerous, as your tires will leave the road on bumps instead of following them. This could be very bad if you, say, hit a dip in the highway during a curve. You are also running your CV joints at way too much angle all the time. At the very least, your boots will tear sooner (I know this) and allow contamination in the joints even if you aren't actually rotating the driveshafts. As noted, the Xterra is supposed to be higher in the back. Remember too that the rear will settle probably at least 1/2" within the first 6 months.

#419002 - 28/07/04 12:02 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took the X back to my buddy's place (he's got the air tools). We lowered the front so that it is now 1" lower in the front than rear....looks pretty cool, I might add. In any event, there is sufficient clearance between upper control arms and bumpstops. Additionally, I lubed many of the places I thought the creaking was coming from. It's been a few days, and the creaking sounds are starting to come back. I'm almost sure it's the green bushings on the upper control arms.

Someone mentioned zerk fittings for the UCA's. Where do those get installed? The only ones that came with my kit were for the steering system (also got the steering system). Do I need to remove the UCA's again to grease those plastic green bushings?

Thanks again everyone.

IG

#419003 - 02/08/04 10:30 AM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Go to any auto parts store and they should have them for a few bucks. Then go to sears and pick up the correct drill bit and tap for the zerks. Now the sucky part. Your more than likely going to have to remove the upper A arms and the bushings and drill and tap the arm for the zerk. You can do this yourself or have a friend do it. Use lots of oil when drilling and tapping as it makes life so much easier. Then regrease everything install and if it squeaks give it a few shots of grease and all should be well. Also if you search you should be able to find pictures of where to install the fittings on the a arms.

#419004 - 02/08/04 01:25 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Follow me around on the trail and you won't notice any noises your truck is making.

#419005 - 13/08/04 01:40 PM Re: Calmini lift/steering installed. Creaking sounds.
Anonymous
Unregistered

A shot of Tri-Flow on the UCA bushings will do the trick (for 2 or 3 months at least).

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal