shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419044 - 24/10/07 07:04 PM After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

So i have the fabtech aals giving about 1.5 lift in rear and i added the slr 1 inch shackles giving 2 inches overall. Also giving just under 2 inches of rake. My question is after i added the shackles i noticed a decrease in MPG by about 30 miles a tank. Second the other day while driving the it sounds like one of the tires chirped. I was going strait but sound like the hubs were locked on a turn. Any ideas?
I think im removing the shackles. For now?

#419045 - 24/10/07 07:09 PM Re: After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you crank the torsion bars for the front lift or no? If you have and have not done an aligment, that could be the reason for chhirping tires, possibly.

Other than that, mileage might vary depending on many factors, I doubt that it was the shackles alone. If the weather got cooler, your mileage may decrease a little. I always see my mileage go down little by little as it gets colder in the season.

#419046 - 24/10/07 09:49 PM Re: After adding shackles.
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
A couple of questions:

1) Did you re-use the old U bolts to add the AAL's?

2) Did you check your axle/diff alignment to be sure you have it lined up/pinioned properly on the leaf plates/U-bolts and drive shaft angle?

3) If part of a 2" SL, did you get a new wheel alignment when done?

4) Did you check the FRONT ends of the leaf wraps in the front hangers to make sure they are not broken/bound?

5) Did you check your brake and diff breather lengths/clearances?

6) Did you already chuck the rear sway bar?

confused

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#419047 - 26/10/07 08:45 AM Re: After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

AAl was on for over a year. The shackles just were put on. Aligned after aals not after shackles.

Will check the lines.

I think im going to remove the shackles and just go with the aal's im really not feeling the extra rake. Will remove them and hope it fixes.
J

#419048 - 26/10/07 09:24 AM Re: After adding shackles.
TJ Offline

Well, the shackles are what provides your articulation...the AAL's, by themselves, stiffen the pack, and make you have less flex than stock.

Maybe take off the AAL, and leave the shackles?

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#419049 - 02/11/07 02:25 PM Re: After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Long shot here, but if you lifted the back more, you just threw your caster off in your front end. You'll have marginally more wind resistance on the roofrack, and particularly the basket, but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

Another dumb question - are all your tires up to road PSI?

#419050 - 10/11/07 12:19 PM Re: After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

So shackles are off now we are back down to a little more than an inch rake.

Truck is still down lieage, i think it is the colder weather/gas my car is down too.

I put the slr poly front sway bushings in this summer. They are non greesable and i realized today they are squeeking like a boat trailer. So

A. could this be part of the problem?
B. I dont think they should squeek like that but being non greesable, i guess the initial lubricant wore off I know by the sound of them there is some binding going on which i know can not be good.
Jay

#419051 - 10/11/07 02:20 PM Re: After adding shackles.
TJ Offline

I think what you are saying, is that the shackles had nothing to do with the noise, and the reasons you thought the noise came from were not the sources you originally suspected, and that, now, your only problem is chirping from what you believe is the front swaybar bushings?

And the loss in MPG was the normal seasonal loss in mpg from the stations switch at the approximate tiime to the blend du season, etc...

And, that the half inch of rake from the shackles felt like too much, so you went back to 1.5"...

So, all you need now is the lubricant for poly bushings, readily available from parts places, Daystar, etc?

Am I reading the above correctly....you just need to get the poly bushing spray?

(If so, I recommend that you get some.)

laugh

#419052 - 10/11/07 04:06 PM Re: After adding shackles.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for translating, I was north this weekend fishing for steelhead. Needless to say sleep wasnt on the main menu. Did land 2 beutiful fish but thats a different forum.

So yes i guess the question is do you have to lubricate the poly bushings regularly?

#419053 - 11/11/07 08:59 AM Re: After adding shackles.
TJ Offline

LOL

laugh

Yeah...especially after wet/dusty conditions, etc....

The easy way to do it is to just give them a shot before heading into the conditions for protection....and when you get back and get around to cleaning, etc....or when they remind you with their plaintive squeaking for lube.

laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal