2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419054 - 08/05/01 07:39 PM Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
SilverX Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH, USA
Also, witch one do you think is better???

------------------

#419055 - 08/05/01 09:30 PM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Bilsteins are much better. I have Rancho RSX's and they are better than stock, but the Bilsteins are really sweet...atleast from the small amount I've driven on them. Can't say that's surprising...I would expect nothing less than the best from bilstein.

------------------
ChuckH
2000 SE 4x4, Aztec Red

#419056 - 09/05/01 12:19 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
livinx Offline

Loc: Derry,NH
I also have the bilsteins and they work really well. My understanding is that people were having problems with the valving on the ranchos. Get the bilsteins.

------------------
2000 Silver 5spd 3pak
"Reality is what you make of it."

#419057 - 09/05/01 07:57 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
Mr Chony Offline

Loc: Napili, HI
Bilstien also makes a shock that's 20% stiffer. I prefer a stiffer ride and these shocks deliver. Much, much better than stock.

------------------

#419058 - 09/05/01 09:21 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
xterra2k Offline

Loc: Cin city, Oh.
Glenda,
The good witch of the North.

------------------
Lance
Silver XE 3 packages

#419059 - 13/05/01 08:49 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
S.D. X Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Bilsteins! I had mine installed about three weeks ago and hit some trails shortly afterward.

AWESOME!!!!

------------------

#419060 - 13/05/01 10:13 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
Again, what are the 'for real' part numbers for the front and the back units ? ...

Since I can't get under my truck, would my dealer install them, being as they are aftermarket ?? ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
"All my X are belong to me" ...

#419061 - 13/05/01 08:37 PM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
Xcalibur Offline

Loc: Moss Lake, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra2k:
Glenda,
The good witch of the North.

I was wondering if I was the only one who got that!

Shame on us!!

------------------
G - Xcalibur and Li'l P-nut too

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk
SWXC member #35

Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!!!

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk
SWXC member #35

#419062 - 13/05/01 08:45 PM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
Xcalibur Offline

Loc: Moss Lake, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by pepper kay:
Again, what are the 'for real' part numbers for the front and the back units ? ...

Since I can't get under my truck, would my dealer install them, being as they are aftermarket ?? ...

Pick a friend, any friend and ask 'em if they would do the 'knucklebusting' work for ya. Shocks are an easy, 5 minute/shock job! Take off two nuts per shock (one at the top and one at the bottom of each shock), take off the shock and put the new one on and replace the nuts [and washer]. No jacking, no nothing. Well, ya might have to compress the shock a little, no biggy though.

Go for it!

G

------------------
G - Xcalibur and Li'l P-nut too

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk
SWXC member #35

Lead, follow or get the hell out of my way!!!

'01 Khaki XE-V6 4x4 3-pk
SWXC member #35

#419063 - 14/05/01 04:55 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xcalibur:
No jacking, no nothing. Well, ya might have to compress the shock a little, no biggy though.

Not that it's terriby difficult, but you make it sound like you could do it with one had tied behind your back. I would really love to see you change the shocks without jacking it up or taking at least the front wheels off. Damn... you're good.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#419064 - 14/05/01 06:26 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
pepper kay Offline

Loc: TX
So I don't have to read through a gazillion posts to find the answer, can someone give me the correct part numbers for the front and rear Bilsteins ? ...

------------------
Pepper Kay
"All my X are belong to me" ...

#419065 - 14/05/01 06:49 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
Hank Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, FL
In agreeance with Pepper Kay...I'm confused with what number goes with what. I'm looking to get the Bilsteins soon...there were different numbers given to different Bilstein shocks on the other thread. I'm looking to purchase the front ones and the rear ones that are made for taking the sway bars off. Thanks.

------------------
2000 Yellow SE 4x4 5 Speed

"Never judge a person's horsepower by his exhaust."

#419066 - 14/05/01 06:59 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by ILUVMYX:
I would really love to see you change the shocks without jacking it up or taking at least the front wheels off. Damn... you're good.

That's exactly how I installed mine. Laying on the ground without jacking it up. I didn't even remove the front wheels, just turned them to one side, then the other. It really isn't that tough, not like struts.

------------------
My wife calls it the "Intrepid Bee", I call it "Tonka".
craigs-tonka@home.com
www.azxterraclub.com

#419067 - 14/05/01 07:11 AM Re: Difference between the Rancho and the Bilstein replacement shocks?
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Craigs_Tonka:
That's exactly how I installed mine.

Yeah, I guess it's possible, but it seems like it would be more difficult to do it that way than to jack it up and take the wheels off. Mostly because the shocks are a bit difficult to compress.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal