2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419192 - 14/10/04 05:22 PM Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok so i want to lift my x a lil for tire space would u guys do a 2 inch body lift or crank the torsion bars and add aal's or shackels or could u do both. Also is it bad for the X if u crank the torsion bars?? Give me everything u got Thanks A Bunch everyone

#419193 - 14/10/04 05:32 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

15 minutes with the search feature will answer every question you asked...but anyway.

You can crank the Tbars, but leave room for you index finger between the UCA and upper bump-stop - it probably won't cause any problems. If the steering does wear out in a year or two, you can spend $350 on the calmini steering system and you surely won't have problems after that.

I wouldn't do both the body and suspension lift unless you really want to get high. The cheapest option is to get shackles ($50) and crank the front. It also gives you better droop (good for offroad). AALs will beef up your rear springs and provide lift but won't do anything to improve suspension flex. The body lift does nothing but adds room for tires, but it has the advantage of not stressing your steering system as much as a t-bar crank.

I have shackles, TT, and 32s on mine and it works well.

Also, get a set of bilstein shocks - they are a huge upgrade and everybody should do it, whether lifting or not.

Search and you'll find much more detail. [Wave]

#419194 - 14/10/04 07:58 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

What size shocks stiffness ect??

#419195 - 14/10/04 08:22 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Max Kjellin:
What size shocks stiffness ect??
If you're planning on adding a heavy front bumper, get stiffer shocks. If not, go w/ the standard Bilstein valving - which is stiffer (and much better) than stock.

#419196 - 14/10/04 08:48 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
[QB]
you can spend $350 on the calmini steering system and you surely won't have problems after that.

[QB]
just fyi, last time I checked calmini's website the steering system was going for $489.

#419197 - 14/10/04 09:17 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I already have a front tjm and am planning on getting a winch so.... and also with this poor mans lift would i be able to fit 33 thornbirds with trimming??

#419198 - 14/10/04 09:19 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

and where can i get these shocks??

#419199 - 14/10/04 09:24 PM Re: Need Help
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Thornturds (search that term in the tire section) suck...

Otherwise, you can run 33x10.50s with just the PML and a good bit of trimming, but only on the factory wheels.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#419200 - 14/10/04 09:53 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

how about bf mud terrains they good??

#419201 - 15/10/04 07:53 AM Re: Need Help
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The tires need to be made for where you wheel, are you a mud guy or a rock guy?

Mostly on/or mostly off road?

Care about noise or handling?

Etc.

So - Tell us, and we can make rec.

(W/o knowing, Thorn's are a waste no matter what you wheel.)

laugh

If you just want bigger tires, a 2" BL is the way to go...no suspension issues, and minimal change to center of gravity, etc. (A 2" BL lets the tires go up about 4" diameter with the same room)

A Tbar crank pre-droops the tires, you can get about 1.5" that way...which you can match out back w/a 3" lift shackle (~$50) or an AAL (Another 1.5" & an other $100 or so)

You'll also need an alignment after a tbar lift.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#419202 - 15/10/04 09:11 AM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

i did 3" body and 3" suspension for 33x12.50's and we still had to cut the shit outta my X. mudflaps (the ones you dont take off, dont konw what they're called) and to get the hell cut outta them, roughly 4" off the nerf bars had to come off too. I went w/ Truxus STS and i gotta say, this is one great tire. i'd recommend it to just about anyone that wants a/t. had it in sand and thick ass mud 2 days ago and they performed flawlessly. hope it helps

#419203 - 15/10/04 10:52 AM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

What kind of long term suspension issues come out of a T-bar crank and addition of shackles? If there are any problems, about how long does it take for them to show up?

#419204 - 15/10/04 11:33 AM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadite:
What kind of long term suspension issues come out of a T-bar crank and addition of shackles? If there are any problems, about how long does it take for them to show up?
TT: Your steering will wear out faster, but some have had no problems (I haven't yet). It probably depends a lot on how hard you are on the vehicle.

Shackles: Some claim that these cause the rear leaves to flatten over time. The only logical argument on this is that I've heard is that when the tire stuffs offroad the leaf will have to flex more (due to the longer shackle), which could possibly lead to sagging. That's the only argument that I've heard on the subject with any merit at all, and it may be true (though I'm not convinced). Other than the possible extra flexing, the spring doesn't have any idea that the body has moved 1.5 inches further away. I've had mine on over a year and still don't have any flattening. I figure if it does eventually flatten I'll get AALs to bring it back.

#419205 - 15/10/04 01:19 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK so hers the big question if i do the poor mans lift will i be able to fit 32 by 11.50 BFG's Mud Terrains??

#419206 - 15/10/04 01:24 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can fit those w/out any lift at all. Search in the tire forum for pictures of what you need to trim (just minor plastic trimming that isn't noticeable).

#419207 - 15/10/04 01:38 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Shackles: Some claim that these cause the rear leaves to flatten over time. The only logical argument on this is that I've heard is that when the tire stuffs offroad the leaf will have to flex more (due to the longer shackle), which could possibly lead to sagging. That's the only argument that I've heard on the subject with any merit at all, and it may be true (though I'm not convinced). Other than the possible extra flexing, the spring doesn't have any idea that the body has moved 1.5 inches further away. I've had mine on over a year and still don't have any flattening. I figure if it does eventually flatten I'll get AALs to bring it back.
The reason the springs (can) flatten is from the springs point of view, the bumpstops have moved up 1.5 inches. Which means if you overload the rear of your truck, of offroad to the point that there is less then 1.5 inches from the bumpstops to the axle, you are pushing your springs flatter then Nissan designed for, (maybe reverse arched).
This is what will damage them, and cause them to flatten out faster, or break. I have never seen a broken spring on a 4x4, without a v8 (axle wrap), jumping (stupidity), or shackles(over load/flex).

#419208 - 15/10/04 01:56 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
TT: Your steering will wear out faster, but some have had no problems (I haven't yet). It probably depends a lot on how hard you are on the vehicle.
[/QB]
The extent of offroading I do is mudding. I live in South Florida where all I have are swamps and such, so I want the lift for the looks and bigger tires. Im assuming that this wont be nearly enough stress on the steering to damage it.

#419209 - 15/10/04 06:36 PM Re: Need Help
Anonymous
Unregistered

believe it or not, short of rock crawling, parallel parking is the hardest on steering components.. The wheels are not spinning, and you try to turn them, on hard pavement. listen to your power steering pump and the engine when you turn the wheel from lock to lock at a stand still.. you will hear it bog a little..
Just daily driving can chew up your front end in a few months with a lift..

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal