shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419217 - 20/02/08 11:11 AM Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a 2002 Xterra, 2WD. Right at 80,000 miles. Love the truck. I work it kind of hard sometimes loaded with the family and gear for weekly trips to the MX track, some camping trips, etc.

Recently got a new Dodge 2500 and now I'm noticing just how terrible the ride on my X has gotten.

I'm wondering if replacing the shocks will bring back that new car feeling in the ride? Also, can I install the 4WD OEM shocks on the 2WD if I want a stiffer ride?

ben

#419218 - 20/02/08 11:52 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out some Bilstein 5100's 10-20% stiffer than stock! It'll improve your WAY overdue stock shocks

Bilstein Shocks

#419219 - 20/02/08 12:12 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a pretty handy mechanic, and have replaced shocks and struts on other cars. Any issues I need to know about installing these myself?

Any issues with getting the shocks meant for the 4x4 model to install on a 2x4?

ben

#419220 - 20/02/08 12:16 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by armourbl:

Any issues with getting the shocks meant for the 4x4 model to install on a 2x4?

ben
I don't know if there is a difference... but if you go to the link I posted, they are all 5100's... sooo why do you want 4x4 ?

#419221 - 20/02/08 12:19 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was just assuming the 4x4 replacements were stronger. But, if they are the same part numbers it certainly don't matter I guess.

ben

#419222 - 20/02/08 12:40 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

check all of your suspension bushings, i got all of those replaced, and somefront end suspension work done (all under warranty) and it feels like a brand new car. I also got bilsterin shocks (30000 miles ago). All of these things will make it feel brand new

#419223 - 20/02/08 08:21 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

shocks are a good start, and as Yankeefan eluded too, replace the sway bar end links and bushings. Use Energy Suspension junk, and get their TRE dust boots too while you're at it. [ThumbsUp]

#419224 - 20/02/08 09:36 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For my 2001 2WD, I installed the Rancho RSX shocks at 60K miles. I believe the part numbers were 17123 and 17124. The truck handled much better after replacing the worn out factory ones.

#419225 - 02/04/08 01:21 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I finally got around to purchasing replacement shocks. I ordered the Bilstiens from the link a few posts above. I don't recommend ordering from there if you are in a hurry though. It seemed to take a week or more longer than I felt it should to receive the parts and they did't all arrive at the same time.

I got the front first, so I completed them first. I couldn't believe how far gone the stock units were. You could easily collapse them in your hands with no effort. And they didn't rebound at all, even if you pulled real hard.

The new front shocks made a very noticable improvement in the ride and really made the rear feel worse.

Got the rear shocks about a week later. The stockers weren't as bad as the fronts were, but there were obvious signs of the oil leaking out on the shock bodies.

The rear doesn't feel so much improved in the ride, but there is a noticable difference in ride height. I haven't carried a load, not even passengers, so that might feel different.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to change the sway bar links as suggested. I may have bought them to begin with, but didn't find them when I looked when ordering the shocks.

For anyone that is thinking of doing this, it was really quite easy with air tools. I had to use the stock jack since my floor jack wasn't made for a truck -- not enough height. You have to remove the sway bar to get to the right rear shock, which is much easier to remove before the truck is lifted...

ben

#419226 - 02/04/08 01:26 PM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a place to get the sway bar end links and bushings.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG%2DK90664&cat=11519

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MOOG%2DK90603&cat=11519

#419227 - 03/04/08 04:20 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
You have to remove the sway bar to get to the right rear shock, which is much easier to remove before the truck is lifted...

ben
It would be worth your while to just keep that thing off...

#419228 - 03/04/08 07:23 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
It would be worth your while to just keep that thing off...[/QB]
Maybe if I did off road routinely. But not for a daily driver.

ben

#419229 - 03/04/08 08:15 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

for what it is worth,

a 4x4 block screwed into a 2x4 with a notch cut out of the 4x4 for the head of the jack is an option for that low profile jack.

it worked for me, just ask I'll tell ya.

#419230 - 03/04/08 08:56 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
It would be worth your while to just keep that thing off...
Maybe if I did off road routinely. But not for a daily driver.

ben[/QB]
Have you driven around without it on? I bet you can't tell a difference, especially if you're saying you think the ass end feels stiff

#419231 - 03/04/08 09:42 AM Re: Bring back that new feeling?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No I haven't tried. Maybe I should. But I sometimes carry loads, including a motorcycle carrier on the hitch. I'd have to assume having the sway bar is important for this.

ben

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal