2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419250 - 06/07/04 10:37 PM Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hopefully I can get some advice from some experienced off-roaders.

I have a 2002 Xterra SE S/C. I just got BFG AT 265/70/R17s. They were a little big, so we removed the front mud flaps and did a little trimming, which worked. However when I was camping this weekend (with the truck loaded with a lot of gear and weight) and every now and then I heard a thump from the back when going over some dips.

I'm sure this was not my truck bottoming out as the clearance seems solid. Could it be from the new tires hitting the wells?

Perhaps I need to ditch the stock shocks and get some off-road shocks. If so, does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen that there are A LOT of choices and I hate to recreate the wheel.

Thanks in advance.

#419251 - 07/07/04 02:08 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
No way you have any rubbing in the rear from those tires if you're still on stock wheels.

As for shocks, you'll get plenty of people, myself included, suggesting Bilsteins.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#419252 - 07/07/04 05:58 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Yeah, Bilsteins are the way to go.

#419253 - 07/07/04 09:16 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of Bilsteins, I puchased my new 20% stiffer Bils from SLR last week and they are not here yet. I read all the stories and figured that there was no was to foul this up because they were in stock. The were supposed to ship UPS ground last Wed. Where are they know? It seems that no one can find Brendan when I call or I get the machine. I am getting a little POed.

#419254 - 07/07/04 10:05 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
SLR strikes again! Order your stuff from 4x4parts.com

#419255 - 07/07/04 10:26 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by savemusic:
However when I was camping this weekend (with the truck loaded with a lot of gear and weight) and every now and then I heard a thump from the back when going over some dips.
That's the rear axle contacting the bumpstop. To prevent it, drive slower over bumps.

#419256 - 07/07/04 10:31 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

After calling SLR all day, someone finally answers the phone. He put me on hold a second so lets see what happens. Stay Tuned.

#419257 - 07/07/04 10:33 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

He just gave me a tracking number, lets see where it's at now.

#419258 - 07/07/04 10:45 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing found. You should see the look of surprise on my face.

On hold again with SLR, lets see what he says.

#419259 - 07/07/04 10:49 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mysteriously disconnected. It sounded alot like a phone being hung up.

#419260 - 07/07/04 10:50 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got through again, it was shipped this morning the numbers just haven't caught up yet. He said that he would refund the shipping because it took so long to ship. Humm, I'll have to check that.

#419261 - 07/07/04 12:46 PM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

wouldnt that bottoming out problem be better solved with AAL's rather than new shocks? he said when the car was loaded this was the problem..

#419262 - 08/07/04 08:41 PM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
spooky1 Offline

Loc: Maricopa, AZ
I would also recommend getting the AAL's first or at least at the same time as new shocks. Also, could the clunk have been the springs contacting the load leaf? confused

"Duct tape is like the Force: It has a dark side and a light side - and it holds the universe together."

#419263 - 09/07/04 07:49 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, my Bils are en route. I checked and SLR didn't charge me any shipping. Wait over a week and not have to pay shipping, I can deal with that. It's not like I needed them right away anyhow. Maybe their customer service is improving.

#419264 - 09/07/04 09:52 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
OffroadX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
wouldnt that bottoming out problem be better solved with AAL's rather than new shocks? he said when the car was loaded this was the problem..
Nobody suggested shocks were the fix (except perhaps savemusic), but you're right, the shocks don't support the load, the springs do. Shocks help the springs manage the load and could help avoid some bottoming, but it's not the answer.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#419265 - 13/07/04 06:05 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm having a similar problem, since getting BFG 265/75/16's. I cranked t-bars for about 3/4 inch of clearance, and have had a repeated clunk in the driver's side rear ever since - even without a load in the back (other than usual gear in toolchest and X-net, and Shrock sliders). I looked this past weekend and noticed the bump stop over that rear wheel is contacting the axle.

I was going to get Bilstein's to solve the problem - Brent, do you think the problem will be better solved with both AAL's and shocks? I suppose I will have to crank the front some more to level the truck out with the AAL's...

AAL's or shackles?

Thanks in advance.

#419266 - 13/07/04 06:57 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
OffroadX Offline

Changing to larger tires shouldn't make the axle start hitting the bumpstop, nor should cranking at the front.
Your springs are far too new for the axle to hit the bumpstop more than rarely and under unusual circumstances.
I'd suggest add-a-leaves regardless. Calmini or SLR are the way to go, SLR is easier to install.

Brent

#419267 - 13/07/04 08:05 AM Re: Got tires, now do I need shocks???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the reply.

I too was extremely surprised, but this started to happen immediately after cranking torsion bars. After the first adjustment, I took the xterra up and down a mountain logging trail to get it to settle, and on the first rut heard a clunk. Since everything is too new to have this type of problem, I have suspected the shock as the most likely culprit. Annoying as hell - something's gotta be done.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal