2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419268 - 14/12/05 12:45 PM UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

My new SLR UCAs are en route and will be here to put in this weekend -- I'm F'n stoked!

Have a quick opinion poll, though. Obviously, driveline angles will be increased, thus increasing stress on u-joints, CVs, etc. To those who've lifted, has the wear or rate of replacement on these parts been significant? I'm planning on replacing the u-joints with zerked ones from AC anyway (I've got a minor bit of a shudder/vibration), just maybe not all at the same time.

Also, am considering the SLR diff drop kit as well. Any real world opinions on how neccessary it is? I've got to put this thing together in stages to keep the costs manageable.

AC also offers upgraded replacement CVs, any opinions as to they are worth it over stock replacements down the road?

I know when I lifted my Ramcharger way back when, I had to install a kit to lower the t-case where it attached to the frame in order to correct the driveline issues. It worked great, actually, but I don't think there's such a thing for the X. Anyone ever fab something like this for the X?

Thanks in advance for all of your insight.

#419269 - 14/12/05 01:45 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Which SLR UCAs? With the econo ones I wouldn’t bother with the diff drop, maybe with the other ones but I would likely not bothered until I wore/broke something but that’s just me.

As far as the stock sealed u-joints for the drivelines there pretty durable and can operate at higher angles they you’ll get. Lasted over 130k in the rear of my pathy and 140k and still good on my X. I did end up eventually wearing out the stock one in the pathy partly because it was lifted ~10”, the pinion angle wasn’t the best, Detroit lockers, and all the wheelin’ I did. I went with a sealed u-joint again when it was time to replace, longer lasting IMO, less maintenance on driveshafts.

Although I never broke a CV I’ve seen my share of busted one and carried a spare. Most of the time it happens on full droop on a turn or with a little too much throttle up a waterfall, rock pile, or something like that. Did’nt seem to matter if they were running the older SLR UCA with the drop, CALMINI’s, AC’s etc.

#419270 - 14/12/05 01:54 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

just my 2 cents...

diff lowering kit's helpful in the long run with correcting the angles, etc...

but lord is it a pain in the arse to install...getting the front diff out, putting those pucks in, putting the front diff back in...i did it with the help of four other dudes, and one ended up with a broken rib, and another ended up with a broken knuckle...

just a heads up for the future...

#419271 - 14/12/05 01:55 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

i forgot something...

i have the SLR SL on my X and love it. Don't have any problems, was easy to install (relatively) and operates smoothly. Great choice!

#419272 - 14/12/05 02:33 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Which SLR UCAs?
They are the Stage 1-4 arms. The rear's going up via SLR's 3-pack add-a-leaf. That part's pretty cool -- I picked up an already assembled 2004 spring pack from NorthBayRP who SAS'ed, so less work for me! laugh

Planning on using the Calmini shackles I've got on there from the PML. Hopefully that won't make it too ass-high.

#419273 - 14/12/05 03:46 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's the same set up I'll be running when I get the UCA's. Except I have the Bils front and back.

The 3pack says it raises 2" but you can expect it to settle about 0.5". Shouldnt be to ass high.

Yup, my pml I'm running now and the 3 pack AAL that has been sitting on my garage floor for several months is ready for the UCA's smile

#419274 - 14/12/05 07:56 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
SLR Diff Drop Kit -

The secret to the diff drop is lining up all the off center holes with what goes through, first, and seeing how it goes together...soap it to lube it up, and its not that bad.

If you try to do it ad hoc, you will miss how the holes line up, and make yourself crazy, break your buddies ribs and knuckles, etc.

laugh

I did the drop after the lift when I checked the angles involved at full droop...it does relieve the stress at full droop, especially when at full lock.

My mantra is: I can have all the fun I want, as long as nothing breaks.

When things break, I gotta hear it from the wife how crazy I am for taking a nice new truck and wrecking it off road, etc...

So far, NOTHING has ever broke on the X off roading....and the wife is convinced I am being responsible.

In the Jeeps, I was under the damn things after every trip fixing stuff...and before each trip, etc...too much friction, traded in on the X...

Life has been sweeter since then.

laugh

I have the stage I-IV SLR UCA's too. Never a problem.

Of course, I have the old version of the Calmini steering kit, and no problems with that either.

I don't know of ANY premature CV wear complaints on lifted X's....they either bust them under throttle, drooped and/or locked, etc...or they last.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#419275 - 15/12/05 08:35 AM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I got the whole shitten Kabootle SLR lift. My ass end was a little high but once my T-bars finnly showed up They leveled the X out. As for the Diff. lowering kit, I had to take my diff to a Trans. shop to air hammer the OEM bushings out. It was the most time consuming part of the lift.

If you go with the Diff. kit. The install ins. say to line ALL bushings with the hole TOP DEAD CENTER. Well thats true for all but one, the front passanger one. SLR needs to edit his install ins. All that said I love the set up and cant wait till May to go to goneMoab laugh

#419276 - 15/12/05 09:04 AM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the info guys. Been wanting to wrap up this part of the project for a while.

All right, goin' through the checklist...

Parts...

Beer...

Tools...

Buddy to help...

Beer... laugh

#419277 - 15/12/05 02:40 PM Re: UCAs en route -- Driveline questions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't forget the beer!

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal