2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419731 - 29/03/06 10:13 PM I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

I HAVE A 4X2 2000 X. I WANT TO EVENTUALLY PUT A REAR DIF LOCKER IN IT SO I CAN ROLL WITH THE 4X4 CLUBS A LITTLE EASIER (WHILE DOING "HARD LINES"). HOWEVER, MY FIANCEE HAS GIVEN ME PERMISSION TO BUY A LIFT KIT FOR MY TRUCK. I HAVE READ SEVERAL OLD THREADS, BUT COULD NOT FIND ANYTHING THAT SUITS ME. I LIKE THE LOOK OF THE FRONT END BEING HIGHER THAN THE BACK. I ALSO NEED CLEARANCE FROM MY REAR AXEL DUE TO ROCKS OUT HERE IN THE DESERT. HERE'S WHAT I WANT TO DO W/ MY X:
1. FIT 33X16X75 AT TIRES
2. TAKE MY TRUCK "PRERUNNING" ON POWERLINE ROADS
3. GO OUT WITH 4X4 CLUBS ON SERIOUSLY TECH TRAILS

SO, MY QUESTION TO ALL YOU XTERRA GUYS IS: WHAT LIFT SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT? WHAT SHOCKS? CAN I DO IT MYSELF? ARE THERE ANY INSTRUCTIONS WITH THE PURCHASE OF THESE LIFTS? WHAT TOOLS WILL I NEED (ASSUMING I HAVE NONE)? DOES ANYONE HAVE PICTURES OF X'S NOT ALREADY LISTED BEFORE (OK, IF THEY'RE REALLY AWESOME TRUCKS- GO AHEAD AND POST THE SAME PICS AGAIN). THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP. I LOOK FORWARD TO START WORKING ON MY FIRST TRUCK WITH YOUR GUYS' HELP!!! [drink]

#419732 - 30/03/06 12:13 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
There must be about 8 million lift threads on here, so I'm not going to take the time to cover everything, but I will tell you that if you want the front higher than the back than any lift kit will do that if you only install the front lift and not the rear lift. Question is, why do you like that look and why would you want to do that? confused Have you ever seen an Xterra set up that way? Any truck looks retarded with more front end lift, but the Xterra looks downright rediculous. I saw a yellow one that way a couple years ago and it made me laugh so hard I almost drove off the highway!

But if you want your Xterra to look like a dog with an itchy ass, then...

#419733 - 30/03/06 04:24 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
You will not be able to do what you want to do to your truck...it will not be able to run technical trails with 4x4's.

So #3 is your problem.

Its a 2wd.

You might be able to limp and be dragged along on trails a step up from stock, but not being able to pull the front will leave you unable to crest ledges, etc...as soon as the rear tires have to leave the ground to go up and over, they will not be able to push you, and you fall back again...it doesn't work.

frown

Trade in the 2wd for a 4wd, and you will be ahead.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you can go where you need 4wd if you have a locker...that's only part of the battle.

Seriously...to do what you state is your objective...trade it in on a 4wd.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#419734 - 30/03/06 05:56 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

why are you yelling? wink

#419735 - 30/03/06 06:27 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

TJ has offered you the best advise.

Other than going to 4x4 which is for sure your best bet there are a few things you would need to do to accomplish your other goals.

To fit the 33s ($700) you will need a body lift ($200).

To get the front up look you seem to want on your Frontier you could buy new upper control arms ($350) to give the front a 2.5" - 3" lift and add shackles ($50)in the rear to lift the back 1.5" This should leave your pick up with the front 1/2" - 1" higher than the back. While this will give you the look you seem to want, I do not recomend it. the Frontier and Xterra come with a nose down design to improve handeling.

The locker will require you to buy on-board air ($250) and an ARB Airlocker ($785). While this will help out quite a bit you will still not be doing any "hard lines." Aside from the traction issues which TJ mentioned you will also be missing another key component, a transfer case. Without 4x4 and low gears you will just be beating the hell out of your truck to try to do mid level stuff locked or not.

So the question becomes why spend over $2300 to end up with a truck that is less capable than a stock 4x4 Frontier. If you are commited to this truck I would take that $$$ and do a 4x4 conversion. It is a lot of work, but it would be cheaper and you would end up with a much better truck.

Here are a couple 4x4 conversions to look at.
Xterra 4x4 conversion
Only one Desert Runner 4x4

#419736 - 30/03/06 08:58 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Learn
To
Turn
The
CAPS
LOCK
Off
Please laugh

Don't mean to be a dick, but it really is annoying to see someone post in all caps, as mentioned above, makes it seem like you are yelling.

Oh, and everything mentioned in the previous posts is accurate...trade up or convert

#419737 - 30/03/06 10:45 AM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Here are a couple 4x4 conversions to look at.
Xterra 4x4 conversion
Only one Desert Runner 4x4 [/QB]
The top one was me I had a 2wd CrewCab and ended up converting to 4x4. Its a lot of work and it can be big$$$ most of the parts I had to buy new The used parts I got came from a guy that went SAS and most needed to be reworked. Am I happy with what I have done YES would I do it again Hell No.

#419738 - 30/03/06 06:23 PM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
since you currently have a 2000 model you wont take the loss like you would if you had an X less than 2 years old. Save your money and instead of buying a lift kit sell your X and buy a 4wd one.

#419739 - 31/03/06 09:54 PM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

slr sells fiberglass fenders that are cut xtra high. They give the appearance of the front sitting higher than the rear.

#419740 - 02/04/06 03:14 PM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew:
HOWEVER, MY FIANCEE HAS GIVEN ME PERMISSION TO BUY A LIFT KIT FOR MY TRUCK.
- that's your problem right there.

#419741 - 02/04/06 04:04 PM Re: I NEED SOME SUSPENSION HELP FROM EXPERTS
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you want to get the most out of your 2wd rig, your best bet is a long travel kit. You might not be able to keep up with 4x4s on hardlines, but you can smoke them on the open country laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal