2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#419859 - 03/11/04 03:35 PM alignment help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

So I took my X in to the alignment shop again trying to get rid of the persistent pulling to the right problem…

Here is my setup… 01 4x4 w/ 3” Calmini SL kit and Calmini Steering kit and 32x11.5x15 wheels on Nissan Desert Runner 15x7 rims w/ +40 mm offset.

Here are the results from the alignment shop. The tech (respectable garage, the tech only does alignments and they specialize in lifted vehicles) is telling me that there is no room to make any more adjustments to get rid of the drift. He mentioned something about the bolt length on the control arms.

I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what may be done to correct this pull to the right based on the alignment results and my vehicle setup…

Camber 0 +.3

Caster +.5 -.4

Toe +.15 +.15

Rear Toe +.25 -.24

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#419860 - 03/11/04 03:45 PM Re: alignment help needed
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Quote:
Originally posted by krzydmnd:

Camber 0 +.3

Caster +.5 -.4

Toe +.15 +.15

Rear Toe +.25 -.24

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
First of all your camber is off on your left. It should be .3 on both sides. Spec is 0.1 to 1.1 and it's suposed to be even. Shoot for .5 on both wheels.

Your caster is a clusterfuck. Check the ride height. Do you have the t-bars cranked sky high? You should have about 1/2 to 1 inch between the upper arm and the upper bump stop.

Your pull looks to be directly related to your caster.

You are plus .5 on the left and -.4 on the right. That's WAYYYY off. Spec is 2.1 to 3.1 degrees positive. Your tech should be shooting for about 2+ degrees on both sides. You need more caster and your guy should have never let the car go with negative caster. That sucks.

Some guys leave the left a half a degree short of the right to compensate for the crown on the road. But that's it.

#419861 - 03/11/04 03:58 PM Re: alignment help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

yeah,I figured it was a wreck but I didn't know what was wrong, this is helpful.

I do have the front cranked but I have about 3/4 inch between the bumpstop and the arm so I figured this was just about right.

For my knowledge which component gets adjusted to fix the caster problem?

thanks again, I knew I'd get some quick advise here! Now I'm not so sure I'll go back to the same place if they didn't indicate the caster was so whacky.

#419862 - 03/11/04 06:12 PM Re: alignment help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

Torsion bars being cranked won't get the caster that far out.

I'd suggest taking it to a dealer (as they'll identify the parts that are not up to par) and let them do the alignment. Tell them to keep the ride height the same as you want, maybe even it out side to side, but they can still align it with the ride height a bit high.

Oh, and negative caster is huge no-no.

#419863 - 03/11/04 07:24 PM Re: alignment help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

So you think a dealership garage would do the proper alignment w/the aftermarket steering kit and UCA's? I figured the dealer would only stick w/ the stock specs and not want to mess w/ an aftermarket front end job!

Unfortunately not all Nissan dealerships have enthusiasts like you behind the wrench! wink

#419864 - 03/11/04 09:26 PM Re: alignment help needed
Anonymous
Unregistered

-->Here<-- is the thread where I put the specs that I use to set up lifted X's. Depending on the amount of road crown that you have in your area (we have a lot) will determine how much of a difference in the caster angle that you'll need to overcome the draw to the right.

0.5º is about max, 0.2º min (less than the right side!) is what you want for the caster. But definately, never go negative with the caster.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal