shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42064 - 16/06/02 01:03 AM Getting cold feet about smaller sc pulley
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
I know the majority had no problems, but check these out. I think I'll just get a K&N aircharger kit.
Unlucky 1
Unlucky 2
Some Results
Possible problem
Eaton Advise

Maybe I'm just paranoid. [Geek]

#42065 - 16/06/02 07:31 AM Re: Getting cold feet about smaller sc pulley
SpenceJT Offline

Loc: Madison WI
Thanks CosmicX frown

I've been on the fence about the modification, but think I'm still going to go "cautiously" ahead.

Here is why.

The majority of those who experienced problems used a pulley which wasn't made to spec. In the case where the supercharger seized, it was the poor quality pulley (and possible user error with installing it). The pulley expanded when it got hot, and started slipping.

The other guy damaged his stock pulley in removal. The instructions posted on ASP Racing\'s site states

Quote:
3. FOR PULLEY REMOVAL INSTALL PULLER TOOL AS SHOWN IN FIGURE 3 NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ASP PN 003435 YOU MUST USE A SIMULAR DEVICE , A 2 OR 3 JAW PULLEY PULLER WILL NOT WORK
While there have been a few, who have successfully removed their pulley with a 3 jaw puller, there have been many more who have not. I have a plan to fashion a 6 jaw puller, to pull from both the back edge, and the inside front edge of the stock pulley. Twice the area of force spread out equally against the same amount of resistance. I think it will work, and will post my success (or failure) along with photos, when I perform the upgrade (I am waiting on my boost gauge, that will be installed prior to the pulley mod).

The problem with losing all boost was attributed to bad gas. Those who had experienced the problem had filled up with premium at "mom & pop" gas stations. After filling up with premium from a "name brand" corporate station the problem went away. Some have even reported this condition (later in the same thread) with their "stock pulley". This may be due in part to the higher compression, and some sort of narrower tolerance of octane.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your "cold feet", and I agree with you when it comes to the pulley size and the RPMs.

ASP Racing\'s pulley is 2.35", which is reported to turn the supercharger at 15,880 (damn close to Eaton's maximum tolerance of 16,000) at 6,000 RPMs.

This is where I feel a bit more at ease. I've got an automatic, and I don't think I've ever had the engine revs up that high. Even when merging onto our local beltline (with metered on-ramps) and jumping on the accelerator, it shifts between 5,000 and 5,500 RPMs. If anything, the highest revs are only for a couple seconds.

I don't plan to race my Xterra, but I do want more power when passing on Wisconsin's winding two lane roads where passing zones are usually shorter than football fields. wink I drive moderately, and am far from what most consider "hard" on my vehicle, (bought it primarily for towing and winter driving) so I think that combined with a strict maintenance schedule will see me through.

My first step will be the boost gauge, which is on back order for a couple of weeks. I won't fault your choice one way or the other. I will be sure to post my results.

Regards,
Spence

#42066 - 16/06/02 09:06 AM Re: Getting cold feet about smaller sc pulley
CosmicX Offline

Loc: Alhambra, Cali
Thanks Spence, for the little "boost." I'll probably still get the pulley, but wait for a tried and tested way of installing it and safely removing the stock one. Please let us know how it works out. Meanwhile, I'll shop for the perfect boost gauge and position. Also, I agree with you about never hitting redline, makes sense. smile

#42067 - 21/06/02 08:29 PM Re: Getting cold feet about smaller sc pulley
c.chang Offline

Loc: Northern, VA
I just finished installing the boost guage in My SC-SEX,OPPS SE X, under the radio. Using 3M double sided tape, only had to drill two holes, I guess I could have drilled one, but I made a mistake so now theres 2. If I had to pull it out, it wouldnt show too bad.
C

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal