shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#421136 - 10/12/06 04:43 PM Broken Shock
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
So I was out at Paragon yesterday and ended up smashing one of my rear shocks on a rock pretty good. It put a hole in it and oil poured out. We were going to replace it on the trail, but the washer was all bent up and the threads on the end of the bolt that holds it on were all mangled. weren't sure if we'd be able to get the nut back on if we could even get it off.

i'm going to get some new bilsteins, but I just wanted to check if there's any reason why i shouldn't be driving around with a busted shock for a week or so till I can fix it.

#421137 - 10/12/06 07:24 PM Re: Broken Shock
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Jeez Tom.

laugh

Yeah - those lower shock mounts are way down there...ow.

Its why I went for the UB Skidderz to raise the bottom a couple of inches, add some armor...food for thought.

laugh

You do want a shock for control, but having 3 instead of 4 isn't that bad...

Watch out for emergency maneuvers...the rear will swing out more than before, and that side can bounce and skitter now.

I have a spare oem rear if it will help you out until the good stuff arrives.

Let me know.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#421138 - 11/12/06 08:16 AM Re: Broken Shock
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
thanks TJ. i'll have to look into the UB Skidderz.

thanks for the offer for the shock, but i've actually got 2 new calmini rear shocks that RJ gave me a while back. I just never put them on because i've heard they're pretty bad.

#421139 - 12/12/06 04:25 AM Re: Broken Shock
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Yeah - they have the same 9" of travel as the OEM's according to one measurement.

And they seem to wear out fast, but at least not work so great while you're waiting.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal