2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#423343 - 12/03/02 12:18 AM Broken CV information.
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
I'm doing a little investigation, and could use some help.

Stormy just broke a CV joint, and prior to that Pikachu broke one. Stormy's was the passenger side, can someone verify which one Pikachu broke ? I thought it was the passenger side too.

I found something interesting tonight. With the front of the Xterra raised with a floor jack (suspension fully extended), the passenger side axle shaft binds, but the driver side rotates freely.
The passenger side can be turned, but only a short distance, about 90 degrees or so, before it hits something solid inside one of the joints.
The inner CV joint uses a tripod joint, which has three bearings, each 120 degrees apart, the outer joint is an Rzeppa, which has 6 bearings 60 degrees apart. One of the two joints is binding severely.

Could some folks out there jack up the front of your truck and see if you notice the same thing at full droop ?

You will need manual hubs (unlocked) to do it unless you get both tires completely off the ground. The transfer case will need to be in 2Hi or Neutral. Turn the front drive shaft by hand and watch both axle shafts.

Please post your findings here.

#423344 - 12/03/02 07:26 AM Re: Broken CV information.
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
When I replaced the shaft, I found the same thing. I turned it without the tire on and no hub on. I didn't think anything about it. I thought that was normal.
Why would the passengers side bind and not the drivers side? They are the same shaft right? Are you thinking that the passengers side is a greater distance from the diff?

#423345 - 12/03/02 09:17 AM Re: Broken CV information.
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
yes, i believe pika broke his passenger side cv.

#423346 - 28/05/02 03:32 PM Re: Broken CV information.
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
both my driver and passenger axles bind at full droop even with the SLR drop diff bushings.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal