shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424300 - 15/01/04 04:39 PM confusion
ShipRekd1 Offline

Calmini AAL's say that they renew fatigued stock springs and you leave the overload leaf in. SLR 3 pack says to remove the load leaf and it will not repair flattened OE springs. So why does everyone like the 3 pack better? I've seen that guys dont like the spring clamps being open, but you can fix that with a torch and a c-clamp or hammer.

Jason

#424301 - 15/01/04 04:57 PM Re: confusion
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Honestly, I don't know why SLR says their AAL's won't renew springpacks, because they sure brought mine back from the dead!

As far as the difference, I think Calmini uses two heavier leaves where the SLR is 3 lighter leaves. I haven't ridden in a Calmini equipped truck, but I'm guessing the SLR pack offers a softer ride in back due to the configuration. How much difference I don't know. I think you can leave the load leaf off with the Calmini...most of us offroaders don't like the load leaf because it won't allow the springs to compress as much and it makes the ride in back more harsh. Maybe others with the Calmini setup can confirm that? Likewise, if you get longer U-bolts you could probably keep the load leaf with the SLR packs too, but I don't see the point really.

BTW, the SLR AAL's are much easier to install. With the Calmini's you have to remove your spring packs and then insert the Calmini leaves between the factory leaves. With the SLR packs you just add them to the bottom of your factory pack so you can leave the springs on the truck when you add them.

THe clamp issue has to do with them getting weak. Everytime you open and close them they get weaker. You won't need a torch to bend them...they are very soft.

#424302 - 15/01/04 07:41 PM Re: confusion
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
I don't know about the Calmini's riding stiffer, mine still feels great but I haven't driven an Xterra with the SLR pack for any length of time either.

I left my load leaf on and it doesn't seem to affect the amount of flex, the wheels stuff into the fender enough to rub the fuel filler cover. But I still recomend taking off the load leaf because I've gotten hung up on rocks with it.

Xterra101.com

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal