2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424710 - 03/06/05 06:40 PM Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello to everyone out there in Xterra land. I have a 2003 X and I have just about 59,000 miles on it. I had all stocks shocks taken out and had all new Bilsteins put in. After so much driving the X feels like there are no shocks in there whatsoever. I forgot to mention that I live in Brooklyn NY the pothole capitol. So what I was wondering what kind of shocks I could put in that will give me a soft comfortable ride but will still hold up when I take it off road.
I wanted to also know how hard it would be to replace the shocks myself. What is actually needed to install them, any special tools that are needed. Any information would be helpful.

Well I am off to make sure that no one broke into my X. Talk to everyone later

Thanks
Kevin
Xera03@nyc.rr.com [Huh?]

#424711 - 03/06/05 06:41 PM Re: Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also forgot to ask about putting in a steering stabalizer when putting in the shocks.

#424712 - 03/06/05 07:29 PM Re: Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

It feels like there are no shocks or just really stiff shocks?

You might try adjustable Rancheros. Do a search, lots of discussions on shocks.

#424713 - 03/06/05 07:36 PM Re: Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Funny, i just got done replacing my front 2 shocks w/ bilstein 5100s about 10 mins ago. It wasn't very hard at all i didn't even take off my wheel. If i remember correctly all you need is a 12mm wrench, a 17mm wrench and a 16mm socket for the lower shock mount, so basically hand tools. To remove the stock shocks you can just hang onto the shock body and loosen the top nut. With the bils your going to need an allen wrench to keep the piston of the shock from spinning when you try and tighten it. That being said, just remove old shock replace w/new shock, very simple. Hardest thing for me was trying to compress the new bilstein to line up the lower shock mount bolt. Thats' why i'm putting the rears on tomorrow, my damn hands are tired.

#424714 - 04/06/05 08:11 AM Re: Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah it feels like there are no shocks on the truck at all. Or they feel very very very stiff. Just a very uncomfortable ride.

#424715 - 11/01/06 07:42 AM Re: Installing new shocks
Anonymous
Unregistered

Which shocks did you install? (Part numbers that is).

They are probably just stiffer and you are not used to it. I put in 20% stiffer front and back bils and I definitely notice but they are so much better than stock.

I think that people have the misconception that when you replace shocks you should expect to feel like you are "riding on air." That's just not the case, especially in a heavy truck.

Take it offroad and you'll appreciate the stiffer ride.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal