2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#424958 - 23/12/04 08:43 AM SLR Econ Line
Anonymous
Unregistered

This thread...
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=60;t=000213
...got me to take a look at SLR's Suspension Kits.

As I've mentioned this in the past, I am the occassional wheeler so "balls-out" suspension components do not appeal to me. However, I'm taking a liking to SLR's Econ Line suspension kit...
http://www.spencerlowracing.com/products/econ_lift.htm

The ESL-01 with 2" shackles sounds good. I like the EOM rear spring rate so the shackles w/ Bilsteins are a good match for me. I like the Nismo T-bars (although I've heard mixed reviews on them). Lastly, I like the optional Zerk fittings. For $775, not a bad deal... and I'm assuming more comfortable ride than than their Stage I-III or Calmini's.

Does anyone have an opinion (rhetorical question on this board [LOL] ) about this kit. I'm interested mostly in the quality of the UCAs, but any other input would be appreciated.

Cheers.

#424959 - 23/12/04 05:32 PM Re: SLR Econ Line
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
If you want this product then buy the original from Calmini. Spencer just copied the Calmini arms and then called them “Econo” to bash Calmini. A pretty petty BS move on Spenser’s part. The original Calmini part is just as good if not better than the standard SLR parts.

-Doug

#424960 - 23/12/04 08:41 PM Re: SLR Econ Line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the advice, but I think I can decide which company to buy from.

I've had very good luck with Bilsteins (on all 3 BMWs I've owned). I also don't want the AALs in the Calmini kit since I like the OEM spring rate.

BTW: You said, "The original Calmini part is just as good if not better than the standard SLR parts." How have you come to that conclusion?

#424961 - 23/12/04 09:15 PM Re: SLR Econ Line
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
2" Shackles will improve rear droop but the trade off is a harsher ride with more axle wrap + increased stress/wear on the OEM spring pack that will most likley sag over time.

Better off w/ AAL's rather than just shackles alone or a combo. I ran the 2" SLR's for a while until I switched to their AAL + 1" shackles with I liked much better overall. Unless you go custom pack I don't see how you can get close to the OEM spring rate with a lift? OEM is really too soft anyway IMO for wheelin'

The Nismo tbar's made by sway away [power bars model name] are nice, I was really happy with mine. You can get those directly like I did & save a little or from any of a number of resellers also.

I have'nt seen a single set of the econ line arms in action so I don't really have much feedback on those other than the swiss cheese design looks odd compared to the more proven/popular CALMINI arms they appear to be copied from. Adding Zerk fittings is about a $2 & 10 minute job [drill, tap, inser] so that would'nt sway me one way or the other.

#424962 - 24/12/04 07:00 AM Re: SLR Econ Line
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil R:
Thanks for the advice, but I think I can decide which company to buy from.

I've had very good luck with Bilsteins (on all 3 BMWs I've owned). I also don't want the AALs in the Calmini kit since I like the OEM spring rate.

BTW: You said, "The original Calmini part is just as good if not better than the standard SLR parts." How have you come to that conclusion?
I would hope you could make your own decisions for yourself, but based on your original post of making a buying decision based off of a single post, one has to wonder. [Freak]
Maybe my post of one set of A-arms being better than the other is a little biased. I’ve had history with both companies. One of them I will no longer do business with.

-Doug

#424963 - 24/12/04 07:16 AM Re: SLR Econ Line
01SalsaXterra Offline

Loc: Suffolk County,NY,USA
The SLR Econo arms offer a Zerk fitting driled in for cheap. That fixes any squeaky bushing problems that people have been complaining about on the Calmini arms, and not to mention that the SLR arms are cheaper.
I dont care where the design came from, etc, as long as they work.
I havent had any issues with my Econo arms.
A lot of people had had the Zerk fittings installed on the Calmini arms as well, just another option.

I got "IT" from ebay.
Now it burns when I pee..

#424964 - 24/12/04 07:52 AM Re: SLR Econ Line
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
The ride should be the same between the econo and stage I+ UCA's...the econo give you the stock wheel travel, the Stage I+ give you additional wheel travel.

If the wheel travel is not important to you, then shackles (Which improve wheel travel), vs AAL, (which don't improve wheel travel), may be a reversed option.

I have the Calmini AAL and shackles, and SLR's extended 20% Bilsteins...and my ride is better than stock, not worse. (I do have more than stock weight due to armor, etc. though...)

I have the SLR Stage I UCA's, and 300M 28.5 mm T-Bar upfront as well...again...the ride is better than stock, and I improved wheel travel.

So - The choice if you are looking for height, and good on road handling but not improved articulation, might be AAL/Econo's rather than Shackle/Econo's.

smile

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#424965 - 24/12/04 10:46 AM Re: SLR Econ Line
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Even if you only take your truck off-road occasionally I would suggest spending the extra couple of bucks more and going with the stage 1-4 arms from SLR over the econo.

As it has been mentioned in the past , I helped in the R&D process of the new fixture in the current design of the arms to elimintate any issues once and for all and they are excellent.

There has been nothing but positive comments regarding the new design since they were perfected.

Having them on my truck not only improved the ride and the handling, the additional wheel travel was quite noticable on washboard roads at speed as well as slower rougher stuff. And that was in the minivan.

My truck really felt tight and firm and matched with the Billsteins and the Sway-A-Way t-bars the truck truly handled excellent . The allignment that I got was perfect I had zero problems for the entire year and a half they were on.

I honestly cannot reccomend them enough.

#424966 - 24/12/04 12:37 PM Re: SLR Econ Line
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all of the help guys!

I've been Jonesin' for a Calmini kit, but now I have a big decision to make... Camini, Econ, or Stage I???

Cheers!

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal