2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#425309 - 02/03/01 01:29 AM Leaf spring damage
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
On my last outing I damaged one of my rear springs. There are a couple clamp-like things that wrap around them...one in front, and one in back. Well, I apparently nailed one on a rock and bent it open a little bit so it doesn't close all the way around the leaf assembly.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering is if it would be safe to just find a way to bend it back or if I have to go pay the dealer for a whole new spring assembly? If I can bend it, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use to do that? Thanks!

------------------

#425310 - 02/03/01 02:41 AM Re: Leaf spring damage
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Bend it back or leave it.
Daisy bent his up a long time ago, and hasn't posted any info regarding problems.

With it bent open you'll see a little smoother action from the spring as the leaves can move easier.

I'd take the BFH to it.

------------------
Regards,
Ian

#425311 - 02/03/01 08:08 AM Re: Leaf spring damage
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckH:
On my last outing I damaged one of my rear springs. There are a couple clamp-like things that wrap around them...one in front, and one in back. Well, I apparently nailed one on a rock and bent it open a little bit so it doesn't close all the way around the leaf assembly.

Anyhow, what I'm wondering is if it would be safe to just find a way to bend it back or if I have to go pay the dealer for a whole new spring assembly? If I can bend it, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could use to do that? Thanks!

Ha, ha!

Chuck is a lurker! Better get some posts going buddy boy. Why don't you tell the truth. You damaged the leaf springs on your low-rider Xterra in the Safeway parking lot last weekend. Those speed bumps are a bitch eh, Charles?

Looking forward to pictures after this weekend. The first low-rider Xterra with an ARB. Heh, heh.

------------------
Join the Xterra Offroad Webring

2000 Aztec Red 4x4 V-6 XE-3Pak
www.xterra4x4.com

#425312 - 02/03/01 09:09 AM Re: Leaf spring damage
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The "clamp" on the front half of my driver's side leaf took a hit last September and it's about 1/4 open, haven't had any problems. Dealer didn't seem to think it was worth worrying about either.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#425313 - 02/03/01 09:27 AM Re: Leaf spring damage
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
You're just jealous because I'm cool enough that I have to drive over the speed bumps sideways!

Sheesh, this lurker thing is embarrassing. I think I actually registered once a long time ago, but I couldn't remember for sure so I just signed up again. I guess reading your silly posts was enough and I didn't need to post anything myself!

It better not rain tonight when i go out to remove my bumper.

Oh, and thanks to those with the helpful replies!

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Ha, ha!

Chuck is a lurker! Better get some posts going buddy boy. Why don't you tell the truth. You damaged the leaf springs on your low-rider Xterra in the Safeway parking lot last weekend. Those speed bumps are a bitch eh, Charles?

Looking forward to pictures after this weekend. The first low-rider Xterra with an ARB. Heh, heh.

------------------

#425314 - 02/03/01 04:20 PM Re: Leaf spring damage
ShipRekd1 Offline

Just leave them open, in fact you may want to pry all of them open as you will get a little more flex. I also have a 1994 Rodeo, and when OK Auto installed the lift kit I had questioned them being open also...and that is what they told me

Jason

------------------
www.ec4x4e.com

[This message has been edited by ShipRekd1 (edited 03-02-2001).]

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal