2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#426683 - 02/10/05 12:24 AM Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm looking to buy the Calmini 3" S -lift.
1. Whats it gonna cost me to have it put on?
2. Who should put it on?
2. Will this void warranty?
My main reason for this installation is to be able to add 32's on my baby.
No, I don't have a H-jack or much mechanical skill.

AND!!! How long will I be able to drive it until
I have to replace the (help me out here uhh) the steering something?

Thanks!

#426684 - 02/10/05 07:54 AM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
You can add 32's w/o going with a 3" lift. Have the torsion bars adjusted to lift the front 1" if needed to level the truck. Trim the plastic wheel mouldings at the bottom if the tires rub.

Contact your local off-road shops/parts supplier and ask them about install services. If you go with a full 3" lift, takes ~ 2-3hrs to install then you need a front-end alignment.

Nissan warranty only applies to OEM parts so anything you add doesn’t apply.

BTW search feature is your friend wink

#426685 - 02/10/05 11:39 AM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Right On; Thanks.

#426686 - 02/10/05 07:33 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
If you don't have much mechanical skill...this is a great opportunity to get some.

laugh

If you need a 3" lift...I assume you will be taking it off road to actually use the 32's...etc...and,

If you whack something, hear a funny noise, etc...it will really help you to know how your truck works...that way, if you know what its supposed to look like under there, and it looks different, you might notice, and be able to limp home rather than calling a helicopter/off road wrecker, etc...to get you out.

laugh

Part of the fun of off roading is the mods...and, learning how they work, is also part of the fun...plus, the labor to pay someone else to do your mods adds up pretty fast...for example...the labor to install that 3" lift would pay for that steering thingie you will need eventually.

laugh

Its like: Install your own lift, get a free steering thingy.

etc.

So - Take the time to read the plethera of threads on how to do these installs, ask install questions/tool questions, etc....until you can do it....THEN, do it.

I don't know where you are, but there are clubs all over the country - look at the local section in this forum for example...see if any are near you (There are many not listed as well...)...most have mods days where they all get to gether and help newbies get their mods on, repack wheel bearings, grease their muffler joints, etc...

If you hook up with a local group, you get instant friends who have mechanical skills, or at least want you to feed them some pizza and beer.

laugh

Check it out.

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#426687 - 02/10/05 08:07 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I could not agree more with TJ. If the local club is hours from you, as in my case the folks on XOC respond fairly quick to the posts. I scheduled myself off about 4 consecutive days to do my lift, in case that SOB Murphy decided he would help. I do alot of my own work and for the reason TJ mentioned, I like to know how to fix my X if I break it on the trail, not only that but you can add to yuour tool colection.

Always remember "Built not bought" smile

#426688 - 20/10/05 09:49 AM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
I could not agree more with TJ. If the local club is hours from you, as in my case the folks on XOC respond fairly quick to the posts. I scheduled myself off about 4 consecutive days to do my lift, in case that SOB Murphy decided he would help. I do alot of my own work and for the reason TJ mentioned, I like to know how to fix my X if I break it on the trail, not only that but you can add to yuour tool colection.

Took you 4 days to do a 3" SL???

#426689 - 20/10/05 12:00 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
You can add 32's w/o going with a 3" lift.
This is a questionable statement... yeah - it's been done... but it'd better be on the stock wheels and it'll require a BUNCH of trimming etc.

Plus, remember that the '00 and '01 (like the question-asker has) didn't have as much fender clearance as the newer ones.

I have 32" BFG MT's on my '00 with rockcrawler wheels (3.5" backspace - they stick out farther and therefore don't tuck up into the wheel wells as nicely.)

I had to do serious metal-cutting trimming to keep them from rubbing AFTER my 3" body lift. And they STILL will rub a tiny bit when fully compressed.

XO421: The 3" SL is great. It'll take you and some knowledgeable Xterra Owners from your area a day to do it... it will cost you a couple pizzas and a case of beer (and a $140 lifetime alignment at Firestone when you're done).

A steering system upgrade should be done when you do the suspension lift - but you can wait for awhile if you can't afford it right away (just beware that your steering will start wearing quickly and that it will be very vulnerable to damage offroad due to the increased angles)

#426690 - 20/10/05 01:02 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

i have 32's they are on stock rims, i didnt have any lift up until 4 weeks ago. ive been driving on and offroad with them for about 14 months, all i did when i got them was crank the t-bars. not very much trimming, or rubbing after the t-bars were cranked.

just adding my .02 again.

#426691 - 20/10/05 02:07 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by steelX:
i have 32's they are on stock rims, i didnt have any lift up until 4 weeks ago. ive been driving on and offroad with them for about 14 months, all i did when i got them was crank the t-bars. not very much trimming, or rubbing after the t-bars were cranked.

You got a lift? I guess I missed you mentioning it before. BS? SL? Do tell...

#426692 - 20/10/05 02:25 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Quote:

Yup you and a lot of others [Smoking]

Before the lifts came a bunch of us ran 32's on stock rims with just a bit o' trimming for years. About 5 minutes reducing the plastic wheel well trim pieces and whatnot. Some of the folks with more aggressive muds need to remove more.

When you go with aftermarket rims all bets are off.

#426693 - 20/10/05 03:03 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
johnnyx Offline
J

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Rather than rehash what folks have already said here's my '00 on 32's w/ t-bar & 2" shackle lift (near Bryce Nat'l Park):

Drove it that way for 2+ years on and off-road. Worked like a champ.

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/pp/data/500/8near_bryce.jpg

#426694 - 20/10/05 03:59 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Quote:
[b]i have 32's they are on stock rims, i didnt have any lift up until 4 weeks ago. ive been driving on and offroad with them for about 14 months, all i did when i got them was crank the t-bars. not very much trimming, or rubbing after the t-bars were cranked.

You got a lift? I guess I missed you mentioning it before. BS? SL? Do tell...[/b]
i got the "other" pml, i got a GREAT DEAL on slr 3pack add a leafs, the real lifts, yes lifts (plural) will be here early spring... 3" sl, and 2" bl

#426695 - 20/10/05 04:04 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Quote:
[b]i have 32's they are on stock rims, i didnt have any lift up until 4 weeks ago. ive been driving on and offroad with them for about 14 months, all i did when i got them was crank the t-bars. not very much trimming, or rubbing after the t-bars were cranked.

Yup you and a lot of others [Smoking]

Some of the folks with more aggressive muds need to remove more.

When you go with aftermarket rims all bets are off.[/b]
i have goodyear mt/r's which i think are pretty agressive. but they are not mudboggers or something like that if thats what you meant by aggressive.

#426696 - 20/10/05 08:02 PM Re: Help With Suspension Installation Please!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by akordboy:
Quote:
Originally posted by airbornenurse:
[b]I could not agree more with TJ. If the local club is hours from you, as in my case the folks on XOC respond fairly quick to the posts. I scheduled myself off about 4 consecutive days to do my lift, in case that SOB Murphy decided he would help. I do alot of my own work and for the reason TJ mentioned, I like to know how to fix my X if I break it on the trail, not only that but you can add to yuour tool colection.

Took you 4 days to do a 3" SL???[/b]
Yea I know, I ran into some issues with the bushings in the front diff., I have four kids that had stuff going on, work so on and so forth.

All of things "issues" have a name MURPHY, just in case I did not mention him in the orig. post. Oh I guess I did. laugh

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal