2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427610 - 12/06/04 07:33 AM Torsion bar up about 3/4 ", now a driver's side clunk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Greetings,

Not sure what's going on here, but this is the story.

I installed BFG KO A/T, 265/75/16, and cranked the torsion bar to add about .75" more height. Incidentally, the number of turns was significantly more than others I have read about - I'm guessing about 12, but I was paying more attention to the measurement from frame than anything else.

I also installed Shrockworks sliders, though I doubt this has anything to do with it.

Anyway, now when going over a bump I hear a clunking sound coming from what sounds like the rear driver's side tire area, but difficult to tell. It almost sounds as though something is bottoming out, but I'm surprised that if its a broken shock it would be a rear one rather than a front shock.

I do plan on eventually replacing shocks with Bilsteins, but need to do the same in my Alfa first, and I'm not exactly made of money.

Is there something else I might want to look at? Any recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

#427611 - 12/06/04 08:39 AM Re: Torsion bar up about 3/4 ", now a driver's side clunk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you double check your slider on that side with the sound? When I installed my Shrockworks they would appear on (because of their weight) and tight but weren't. I used locktite and sinched those suckers on good.

#427612 - 15/06/04 04:34 PM Re: Torsion bar up about 3/4 ", now a driver's side clunk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Any better ideas with this problem?

Yes, the sliders are securely fastened.

#427613 - 15/06/04 07:22 PM Re: Torsion bar up about 3/4 ", now a driver's side clunk
patrickmb Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA
Is your rear sway bar still connected? In either case, check the all the bolts there and/or the remaining dangling peices, if its unconnected now.

#427614 - 15/06/04 10:36 PM Re: Torsion bar up about 3/4 ", now a driver's side clunk
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try tightening the front crossbar, at the front of the diff. 17mm I believe. Looking at it from the front, you'll see two per side. You'll actually be looking at the nuts of the crossmember there. Tighten the hell out of them! Sometimes, they can cause a sound similar to what you're describing.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal