2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 80 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#42781 - 08/02/02 08:58 PM Calmini has Lockers now.
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Check it out powertrax, detroit and some japanese type. It is kick ass and better priced then an ARB.

#42782 - 08/02/02 09:26 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Damn, and I just spent all my mod-money on shocks and other "junk" smile Looks like I'll have to plug away at this weekend overtime a little longer! Kudos for giving us more solutions. Now, who's first in line? Reviews, please!

#42783 - 08/02/02 09:30 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
superjens Offline

Help me understand something here, you wrench heads must know what this is: the Powertrax Lock Right Differential Unit

How does it differ (no pun intended) from the other diffs? This is probably stupid question time to some of you. Just thought I'd ask.

#42784 - 08/02/02 09:54 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
How does it differ (no pun intended) from the other diffs? This is probably stupid question time to some of you. Just thought I'd ask.

Basically you have mechanical lockers (LockRight, Detroit, etc.) and assisted lockers (ARB Air Locker, Eaton Electric locker).

Mechanical lockers work in many different ways, and most of the designs are patented. They use different types of cams, clutch plates, pins and other devices to lock the axles together, or prevent as much slip as possible.

Assisted lockers use air pressure, a cable or an electromagnet to move a fork that locks both sides of the diff together.

For info on how the LockRight works, check this page... http://www.powertrax.com/lrop.htm

#42785 - 08/02/02 11:35 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
superjens Offline

Doh for me, I should have researched a bit first. I take the easy access to answers on these message forums for granted sometimes.

If I understand this correctly, diffentials come in the following flavours with the following caveats:

Open - basically 1-wheel-drive. Easiest axle to route power to gets the power. In other words, if one wheel grips and the other doesn't, you're not going anywhere.

LSD - halfhearted attempted at 2-wheel-drive. Works fine until one wheel loses all grip, then all power is transferred to that wheel. In half-slipping conditions at least there's power to both.

Assisted "manual" locker - works like an open diff until it's locked, then power is split 50/50 to both axles.

Mechanical "automatic" locker - works like an LSD, but doesn't give up so easily. It "lets go" for turning, but otherwise is always 50/50. (side question, what happens if one wheel has 0 traction?)

Locked - always 50/50, period, end of story.

If this is right, wouldn't the mechanical diff be the best? No need to engage it, it legs go for turning, etc..

Thanks for taking time to answer, I figure there must be other people here with the same types of questions.

#42786 - 09/02/02 03:58 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
XOC Offline
Admin

Just about a perfect description, except mechanical lockers don't always do a 50-50 split, sometimes they slip.

The mechanical sounds like the best, but air and electric air (IMHO).

When they are disengaged, there is nothing going on. No parts wearing, no noise, nothing to break.
With a mechanical locker, the parts are always wearing and making noise. They also offer up some od handling characteristics while cornering (depending on design).

A lot of it comes down to personal preference though.

#42787 - 09/02/02 04:48 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by ChiaSWXC/TNAC:
Check it out powertrax, detroit and some japanese type. It is kick ass and better priced then an ARB.

Too bad NONE of the lockers will work with the Xterra/Frontier, I don't understand why they have them listed...they will work for the old style Pathfinder/Hardbodies though.

And Nissan NEVER made a 29 spline H233B axle, what's up with that?

confused
EOE...Opening Soon!

#42788 - 09/02/02 04:56 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
Too bad NONE of the lockers will work with the Xterra/Frontier

Why not ?

#42789 - 09/02/02 06:55 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Nice. good to see some options. I know the Detroit is not an everyman's locker -- It's definitely not the choice if your wife also drive the X.

Interesting that there is finally a Powertrax. What're the handling characteristics on the road?

Nice to see something for the front, is the Tochigi adjustable -- more or less friction?

Nice prices too.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Matt Peckham ]

#42790 - 09/02/02 07:09 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
SEXterra Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, VA
From what I understand, the Xterra uses a H233B Diff with 31 splines...
From the Calmini website.

Lock Right positive locking differential is second to none for extreme traction off-road. The Lock Right unit's positive locking action allows for lower approach speeds to obstacles which means more driving control and reduced tire wear. Installs using stock differential case. No special tools required. Complete hardware and installation instructions included.

Fits 86.5-2002 H233B 29 or 31 spline axle

Part Number NP3220 Price $269.95

Detroit Locker®
The most rugged positive locking differential, and most widely available for axles from 3,000 to 70,000 lb. capacity.
CALMINI offers the Tractech Detroit Locker in in 31 spline for late model Xterra V-6 Models.

For severe operational conditions.
Driver may hear and feel "backlash" going from drive-to-coast and coast-to-drive, as reversing torque flow resets the components.

Part Number NP187s/128 Installs in stock open diff case Price $449.95
Part Number NP187sc/128a Replaces stock LSD diff case Price $549.95

My question is what if you have an LSD. Will thw powertrax unit work with that or is the Detroit the only one available?

There really is no application chart, and I know most who wheel don't have an open diff because most Xterra "packages" that come with 4x4 also came with LSD.

#42791 - 09/02/02 07:39 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
pseacraft Offline

Loc: Nashua, NH & LOS
This won't exactly answer your ? SEXterra but for what it's worth...This is what the ProwerTrax wesite says about the No-Slip Traction System:

Powertrax No-Slip Traction System as can open differentials. When upgrading a limited-slip/posi differential, it is only necessary to remove preload springs before removing the spider gears, and to remove the friction plates after removing the side gears. For centrifugally activated differential upgrades, it is necessary to remove the governor counter weight and tumbler assembly before removing the spider gears (GM Gov-Lock). Powertrax provides a special tool with each centrifugally activated differential model that easily facilitates this step.

They (PowerTrax) don't say anything as to the LockRight and an existing LSD. Of course, if you look at their application data pages you will see that Nissan is not listed. Yet? Did Calmini jump the gun? I know the Detriot is available for the H233B from their website.

Todd, I'm with Ian, why won't any of these work with the Xterra? Is the H233B different between the X and the Pathy? Please clarify. I want one of these so am curious also. I hate my open diff.

#42792 - 09/02/02 07:41 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
calmini Offline

Loc: Bakersfield , CA
Guys, the 29 or 31 spline caption was a cut & paste error. It has been corrected to read: "Fits 86.5-2002 H233B rear 31 spline axle - Non LSD" We'll have a detailed photo install of the Lock-Right up late next week. Sorry for the confusion. -Steve.

#42793 - 09/02/02 07:43 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Why not ?

You know as well as I do the new rear H233B diff in the Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinders all have 33 spline axles...so how do you use a locker designed for 31 splines in our diffs?
EOE...Opening Soon!

#42794 - 09/02/02 09:27 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
Matt Peckham Offline

kicks self in butt for having an LSD.

Who wants to trade an LSD for an open rear diff?

#42795 - 09/02/02 09:51 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
I saw that they are marketing a LSD on the page too. A) is that a locker or just LSD? B) will that work for us as well or are we still having problems with the spline count?

#42796 - 09/02/02 11:00 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
http://www.truckperformance.com has power trax for $235.

#42797 - 09/02/02 11:14 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
an1malch1n Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:

Why not ?

Also to add with FSR, Your R&P is slightly different and the carrier itself has some minor differences not only to accept the 33 splines but the different style of R&P.

All those lockers listed on the Calmini site are definatley for the old HB/Pathy's.

Also to reply to Calmini. The last year in the US that used the 31 spline H233b axle was in the 97 Hardbody. There is no current Nissan model that uses the 31 spline count axle that you listed "86.5-02", in other words there isn't an 02 here in the US that uses the 31 spline.

The 33 spline started in 96 with the unibody Pathy and was introduced in the Frontier and Xterra. The only exception is that with the 98 Frontier there was no V6 and Nissan used the C200 axle. Even though the 96-97 Hardbodies were only available with the 4 banger they (4x4) still used the h233b 31 spline.

#42798 - 09/02/02 11:30 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by an1malch1n:
Also to add with FSR, Your R&P is slightly different and the carrier itself has some minor differences not only to accept the 33 splines but the different style of R&P.

All those lockers listed on the Calmini site are definatley for the old HB/Pathy's.

Also to reply to Calmini. The last year in the US that used the 31 spline H233b axle was in the 97 Hardbody. There is no current Nissan model that uses the 31 spline count axle that you listed "86.5-02", in other words there isn't an 02 here in the US that uses the 31 spline.

The 33 spline started in 96 with the unibody Pathy and was introduced in the Frontier and Xterra. The only exception is that with the 98 Frontier there was no V6 and Nissan used the C200 axle. Even though the 96-97 Hardbodies were only available with the 4 banger they (4x4) still used the h233b 31 spline.

So if the number of splines is different why not just upgrade to heave duty axles with the correct number of splines when you get the new locker?
Oh, wait the Eaton E-Locker is going to have new axles available in their locker package. laugh laugh

Xterra101.com

#42799 - 09/02/02 11:38 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
an1malch1n Offline

Uhhhmmm.....I drive an old Hardbody and your axle is better and more "heavy duty" than mine. I think that is what you said...right??

It's just that the lockers available for Nissans have been designed for the old H233b and they are in the works for your newer and improved (X) H233b. If you really, really wanted a powertrax I guess you could go to a junk yard and swap out the entire axle housing and components plus fab work for a SPUA with an older Pathy/Hardbody, but I wouldn't recommend doing that.

Am I on the same page as you? :p

#42800 - 09/02/02 11:53 AM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
an1malch1n Offline

I just went to the Calmini website and none of those lockers will work with your X's.

Calmini should have put those in the HB/Pathy section and not in the X area.

#42801 - 09/02/02 12:20 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Here's the application guide for the Detroit...
http://www.tractech.com/App4.html

#42802 - 09/02/02 12:23 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
pseacraft Offline

Loc: Nashua, NH & LOS
Damn! This means no locker for my X and new furniture for the wife. mad Just my luck. Thanks for the intel. I'm glad we have this forum because your knowledge just saved me some dough! Thanks!!! laugh

#42803 - 09/02/02 01:06 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
I'm just wondering out loud here but could it just be irony that this hits the site on the heels of a recent discussion about this topic.

Powertrax discussion

Could Calmini be possible posting it on their site in an attempt to guage interest .

It makes perfect sence to try to let people know that there is a product on the way and to guage the responce so they can report back to the manufacturer so possibly it can get put into production quicker.

#42804 - 09/02/02 01:07 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
Matt Peckham Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by an1malch1n:
I just went to the Calmini website and none of those lockers will work with your X's.

Calmini should have put those in the HB/Pathy section and not in the X area.

I don't know, but could it be that these are BRAND NEW applications and Calmini simply copied existing documentation to post them on the website, maybe a bit early... as there seems to be lots of speculation. We can always wait till Monday and find out by calling Calmini.

edit: It may just prove how much a reputation counts. These guys may have been the ones the lockier companies finally listened to, hence creating several applications for the Xterra that weren't offered before they pushed the companies. All the petitions may not have mattered, maybe it took an established company with a proven sales record to create the market for such products.

Just a thought.

#42805 - 09/02/02 01:30 PM Re: Calmini has Lockers now.
an1malch1n Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Peckham:

I don't know, but could it be that these are BRAND NEW applications and Calmini simply copied existing documentation to post them on the website, maybe a bit early... as there seems to be lots of speculation. We can always wait till Monday and find out by calling Calmini.

edit: It may just prove how much a reputation counts. These guys may have been the ones the lockier companies finally listened to, hence creating several applications for the Xterra that weren't offered before they pushed the companies. All the petitions may not have mattered, maybe it took an established company with a proven sales record to create the market for such products.

Just a thought.

Hey Matt, I really hope you are right and that I'm wrong. That would be cool if you all had a bigger selection of lockers
smile

The only reason I came up with the conclusion that I did is because they list the detroit for a 31 spline. But again I hope I'm wrong.

Pseacraft: You still have the ARB option if you want a locker right away. I have one and recommend em. Total price for parts and labor to install was $1200 bucks. If you could swing it I would recommend this route. Gives you an option for the front at a later time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  krisjon, sky 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal