2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#427895 - 14/06/06 12:35 AM Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, sorry for the lengthy post. Also, It is very late so I hope I didn't say anything stupid.

I didn't want to make anyone mad so I searched a lot on this and I have to be honest, the more I read the more confused I got.

In a couple months I want to go to 265/70/17 BFG AT KO tires on my 04 SE SC.

The 24k mile OEM shocks are also performing badly and I want to replace them ASAP prior to getting tires. The shock issue became very apparent after feeling the difference between my OEM and the new Gabriel pro ryder shocks my father-in-law put on his 2000. I will either go with the Bils or Nismo Bils.

Anyway, Several threads say this size will fit fine no lift, minor trimming at most. The sticky and several threads out there say minor trimming for 31", major for 32" and lift recommended. That size BFG is 31.8" per tirerack.

Is there another size tire that would be a bit larger than stock that would work better? What lift would be required for that size if any? Would I be better off just to stay stock size?

The off-roading I do would be heavier than most SUV owners but no off-road diehard would consider me anything more than a lightweight. The terrain here is usually very high in sand and silt. Very dry. Mud crossings usually are just a deep puddle. Sand is unavoidable here. I rarely crawl over rocks that are big enough to bash anything vital even if I do screw up.

I may do some sliders and skids down the road but big bumpers etc are unlikely for a while so no need to compensate for those. Replacing the OEM wheels is not an option.

For the next few years the role of the X is to haul the family camping, to the beach, tow the 4 wheelers (about 2000lbs total with 300lb tongue weight), etc. Later the X could become a more dedicated offroader but for now it has family commitments. As such, anything improving the ride quality without sacraficing offroad capability is a plus.

That is a lot to chew on. Thanks in advance for your help.

#427896 - 14/06/06 05:16 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good Morning. Thank you for searching! I'm going to let others more expert than I try to answer your question. Just be prepared for a moderator of this board to move your post to "Tires,Wheels and Brakes" as that is the more appropriate place.
Good luck and welcome aboard!

Barry [Wave]

#427897 - 14/06/06 06:22 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
The post that says "major" trimming is required for 32" tires is incorrect. Moderate trimming on the 00/01, minor trimming (if any) on the 02-04. 265/70/17 is a no-brainer. No lift is required either, but you may find that a minor torsion bar adjustment is needed to reduce potential rubbing under full compression.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#427898 - 14/06/06 06:39 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good morn to ya. Im glad yo searched and somtimes the answer is just not there. And dont worry about makeing people mad, there are some here that just live mad.

With a PML (poormans lift, cranking on the torsion bars and purchasing longer shakles) you should be able to clear the size tire you want. Now understand a Yokohama 265/70/17 BFG 265/70/17 and so on and so forth tire sizes are not all going to be the exact same size. Some tires "run big". You may have to trim but as far as I know its not metal/body, its just the plastic directly behind and in front of the wheel.

For the shocks, Bils. are pretty standard around here Rancho' are also a fav.Im not sure what the diff. is between the Nismo and reg. Bils. Ive heard just a real expensive paint job. That may be a BS. confused

It seems that An AT tire would work just fine for you, and there are a bunch to coose from. ALot of the folks here like the BFG AT.

Regards,
RYan

#427899 - 14/06/06 09:20 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey.

Before my body lift was done I was running 265/75/16 BFG AT KOs on mine. That size is exacly what you are talking about but yours are on a 17" wheel.

You can run them without any issues what so ever. The only thing that you will need to do is trip off the lip or "edge" off the mudflap that faces the wheel at it's lowwest point. That spot will rub if you don't trim it off and might chew up your new rubbers.

Poor man's lift would be nice but you don't "need" it to clear those tires.

I'll stick another vote for the BFG AT KO tires. Awesome wear (I have over 27,000 on mine and they still have plenty of life left; ...and I wheel them too), awesome grip and overall performance in the rain is good. Snow performance is exceptional (for anything except a strictly dedicated snow tire).

The Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos are supposedly a good choice as well and worth considering.

#427900 - 14/06/06 10:40 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by coltm4a1:
Good Morning. Thank you for searching! I'm going to let others more expert than I try to answer your question. Just be prepared for a moderator of this board to move your post to "Tires,Wheels and Brakes" as that is the more appropriate place.
Good luck and welcome aboard!

Barry [Wave]
Barry,

Thanks!

In rereading my post I understand why you say that. When I formulated the question in my head it was more of a "this is what I use my Xterra for. Seems like bigger tires would help. What suspension changes are needed?". Obviously it came out a little differently.

Mods, feel free to move this as you see fit.

Edited to add: Love your signon name! I was just looking at a Bushy M4gery yesterday!

#427901 - 14/06/06 10:57 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
The post that says "major" trimming is required for 32" tires is incorrect. Moderate trimming on the 00/01, minor trimming (if any) on the 02-04. 265/70/17 is a no-brainer. No lift is required either, but you may find that a minor torsion bar adjustment is needed to reduce potential rubbing under full compression.
Oops, I guess I misread it. That is good to know. Thanks!

#427902 - 14/06/06 11:04 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Airbornenurse, I keep reading posts about the expense if the Nismo Bils. AC has them for $250/4. The Bils at SLR would be $260. AM I missing something (wouldn't be the first time)? I would go with the Nismos for the nicer paint color and the $10 savings or if I do a lift I would go with the Bils for the extended length versions.

Airbornenurse and ATHOXA, I have thought about getting the SLR 1" shackles and cranking up an inch up front. Would that cause any issues with alignment or cv angles? Should I replace the T-bars for that? What effect do the heavier rate bars have on ride?

#427903 - 14/06/06 11:22 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

ANytime you crank on the T-Bars you should get an alignment done. I have the SLR 3'' lift and the shakles with AAL. I did goneMoab 2 years ago with a PML and had no probs. THis year however after the 3''SL I scraped alot less (as far as approach angle). Yoer OEM T-bars should be fine for a while. Once you start adding a winch and bumper the OEM' start to sag alittle under the additional weight.

Im not sure whats up with the price Diff. in shocks. Gice Spencer or Josh a call at SLR and ask let them know about the differance in price. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

Regards,
Ryan

#427904 - 14/06/06 11:43 AM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the difference in the post you read may have had to deal with how far the wheels stick out. So as long as your run stock wheels you will be fine with clearance for your tires.

The shocks... give SLR a call and see but since they are shocks they will get beat up in the wheel wells so if its just paint I would not pay the price difference. [Wave]

#427905 - 14/06/06 01:53 PM Re: Confused - Please help!
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
From your first post: "...replacing the OEM wheels is not an option...". Out of curiousity, why? Not knocking your decision.

But, consider this. When I priced BFG A/T KO tires for my 2002 truck (with 16" wheels) compared to what I had paid to put them on my 2000 truck (with 15" wheels), the price difference in the two tire sizes was about enough to buy a set of black steel wheels. In other words, for about the same price as four 16" A/TKOs, I could have bought four 15" A/TKOs and a set of black 15x8" steel wheels (which is what I'm going to do when the tires I have on now need replacing).

#427906 - 14/06/06 02:44 PM Re: Confused - Please help!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xorand:
From your first post: "...replacing the OEM wheels is not an option...". Out of curiousity, why? Not knocking your decision.

But, consider this. When I priced BFG A/T KO tires for my 2002 truck (with 16" wheels) compared to what I had paid to put them on my 2000 truck (with 15" wheels), the price difference in the two tire sizes was about enough to buy a set of black steel wheels. In other words, for about the same price as four 16" A/TKOs, I could have bought four 15" A/TKOs and a set of black 15x8" steel wheels (which is what I'm going to do when the tires I have on now need replacing).
Believe me I know what you are saying. It is hard paying that much more but...

I love the looks of the OEM wheels myself and the wife would not hear of changing them. I would love to do a streety tire on the stockers and some Goodyear MTRs on 15" steel but with the varied use the X gets we would be changing all the time. Not to mention the $$$.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal