shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#428816 - 08/06/02 03:36 PM SLR Lift problems
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
Today I set out to install my Stage III lift. Luckily, I started with the rear end. They need to add something to the directions. The gas tank skid plate had to come off - my front spring bolt couldn't come out with it in place. I also had to invert the bolt that holds the spring leafs together - the nut would not fit into
the hole on the axle. Another problem I encountered is that I can't seem to get one of the nuts on the U-bolts. It took a lot less time for me to do the right side than it did the left, but that's probably the learning curve. Another pair of hands probably would have helped a lot. Finally, you might have to enlarge
the front spring hanger "slots" - they were a bit too tight. Overall, it's not too difficult - I just need to figure out how to get that last nut on the U-bolt - not enough thread sticking out, and everything looks flush.

#428817 - 08/06/02 04:02 PM Re: SLR Lift problems
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
If there isn't enough thread on the last u-bolt then you probably tightened down the others too hard. It's like putting on the bolts for your tire. You thread them on, then tighten them, moving around as you go. Otherwise you'll offset the plate in one direction too much.

You can get the bolt on with the gas skid on, you just need to push harder. laugh

I heard of someone else who had the leaf pack bolt inverted as well. Weird.

#428818 - 08/06/02 04:26 PM Re: SLR Lift problems
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
I was think that regarding the plate, but wasn't sure. You think I need to jack it all back up again, or just loosen and retighten? Oh yeah, I had forgotten about the gas skid under the truck until I started to pull out. I nudged it with the front tire and bent it - was able to reshape it with my hands afterward - oh yeah, THAT's peace of mind. That thing will definitely withstand some impact - didn't know they made aluminum foil so thick.
Anyone know what the sway bar exteneders look like? I have these things that look like screws with a plastic knob on the end. Not sure what they are. IF they are the extenders, how do they go?

#428819 - 08/06/02 04:41 PM Re: SLR Lift problems
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Just to be safe I would probably jack it up just enought to take the weight off the springs and axle. Backing off the bolts will probably be fine, but I'm doing this from my desk and am going by memory.

Yes, the gas skid is just short of worthless. You should see mine! eek I think it's part of the problem why I'm getting bad readings from my guage.

The sway bar extenders are most likely for your front sway bar. I think Calmini is the only one who makes them for the back (why I'll never know).
Anyway, it's real easy to do. Look for a shaped crossbar that attaches to both front a-arms. Get a 14mm socket and a wrench (I think that's what they are). Hold the top, and unscrew the bottom of the bolt. Keep an eye on the order and direction of the bushings if you're not familiar with that stuff. If SLR gave you new bushings, put them on in place of the black rubber ones, along with the new longer metal sleve that will allow your sway bar to return to a more factory angle with the lower-arms now at an increased angle.

If you're in the mood someday. Take off the two swaybar brackets that hold your bar onto the frame. You'll see that the rubber bushings are shot there. www.xterraparts.com has replacements for something like $5.

Oh, you should be able to rotate your sway bar by hand to get it in the right position for the new extended sleeves. Just lay under the truck and pretend you're bench pressing them up.

You might also want to jack one front tire up to ease some tension before removing your stock sway bar bolt. With one off, the other won't have any tension other than that from the shot bushings.

I'm taking breaks betwen work (rendering a bunch of 3D scenes, so if you have more questions I should be around)

#428820 - 14/06/02 02:30 PM Re: SLR Lift problems
aquamander Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Ga.
NAPA has new springpack bolts for about $4 each.

Mine were ground and pounded, so I ground the top of the nut down until I could turn them off. I guess you could use original ones if you wanted, but at $4.00 why not just get new ones?

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal