2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#429580 - 10/09/03 05:57 AM Torsion arm lift...
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
I know Trailmaster has a 4" lift for the HB that actually lowers the t-bars away from the frame... is there anything like this available for the X? Trying to find pics to see if there is any way to protect the t-bars from extensive damage... and Ian and/or Brent, for the first time in a while (please don't make me regret it laugh ), I'm asking for your opinion on this, as I'm not sure this is what I want, but I would like to explore every option before deciding on one thing...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#429581 - 10/09/03 07:18 AM Re: Torsion arm lift...
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
There are no such lifts for the X, yet. There are rumors that Trailmaster is working on a lift for the X, and presumably it will be similar to their Pathfinder/Hardbody product and consist of drop brackets for the torsion bars, lower control arms, etc. but perhaps not. If so, the torsion bars will be highly exposed and eat a fair bit of your added chassis clearance. I have not heard of any "protection" offered for the previous Nissan lifts like this on any of the Nissan boards I follow, you would have to have something fabbed up and it would only eat more of your clearance.

The one thing about the TM-type lift is that it can be "stacked" with any of the UCA-replacing lifts for a 7" total lift, which would be just enough to pair with a spring-over-axle conversion in the rear if you're inclined.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#429582 - 10/09/03 08:09 AM Re: Torsion arm lift...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
...and you end up with a tippy poser show truck with very little advantage over a stock Xterra, or one with a mild lift.

#429583 - 10/09/03 10:18 AM Re: Torsion arm lift...
austinbrtndr Offline

First, Brent, thanks for the info... that's what I needed to know... next... Ian, I wish I could change my rating of you with every comment you make... sometimes you have some very useful info... then there are times like this... I'm not saying you're opinion is wrong, but a little explanation would be useful... I see full-size trucks on trails with them quite often... and "poser" is a state-of-mind... just because I couldn't afford to go to Moab or GOX this year, doesn't mean I'm not out offroading every chance I get... I don't know the last time I went to a mall, never waxed my truck, don't care to wash the dirt off because it will just get put right back on, and the list can go on... I'm asking about this because I want to try and do something a little different from everyone else... I'm proud of my truck and I like it to be noticed, so the bigger the better... I don't know of the disadvantages of the t-bar lift, so I posted here to ask... now I'm sitting here whining because I let you hurt my feelings [Crybaby] , and that's dumb, so I'll shut up now... [Finger] ... but really... why would it suck and make me a poser?

Kraig

#429584 - 10/09/03 10:42 AM Re: Torsion arm lift...
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Ian is only saying it like it is. The poser aspect comes in when someones idea of a proper lift is to use drop down brackets and lower your t-bars and controll arms to raise the truck merely for the purpose of fitting larger tires.

You are insuring that you are putting vital suspension components in harms way. One big rock and KABLAMMO! no front suspension. 10-15 years ago the philosophy of form over function was the rule. Taller was better regardless of the amount of travel (articulation to you rock guys) gained or lost as long as you could get big tires on. Those were the days of everyone building huge monster truck wanabees with lots of chrome.

The theme for the current trend in off-roading is as tall as you need as low as you can. Fender cutting , narrowed center sections and suspension kits that provide enough lift to clear tires and provide for maximum travel. It's the same school of thought that is shunning the lift blocks. To do the rear right with leafs is to stick with leafs.

Drop down brackets = Bad
Lift blocks = Bad

Longer travel leaf packs = good
three link/four link = good
coil overs = good
Longer/stouter A-arms with wider track and more travel = good

Ergo the thoughs on drop down bracketry being poserish. It does not offer increased articulation , it does not benefit the suspension in any way at all whatsoever. The only real benefit is larger tires. And a taller truck with larger tires with the same flex as an OE truck is not going to provide you with many advantages.

I guess the only real instance that it is a benefit is if you were a mudder. With a real mud truck you idealy want big tires and big horesepower. Suspension travel isn't real important as long as you can clear larger tires. the X has nowhere near the HP to move giant mudders anyways so it wouldn't make a great mud truck.

#429585 - 10/09/03 11:02 AM Re: Torsion arm lift...
austinbrtndr Offline

Thanks for the info, socal... I don't think Ian "said it like it is"... I don't think he said much at all... just slammed the idea and left... I'm not sure exactly how that lift works, so I didn't know what that would do with articulation, etc... the only thing I know for sure is taller tires = more ground clearance... still kinda new to this, and just started really doing anything with my truck, so I'm exploring all avenues before I invest any cash on something that I don't need or something that would be better if I just went a different route... I'm also trying to avoid a body lift, as that has been discouraged... I didn't know if there was a way to protect the t-bars (i.e. custom fabbed skid plate), but I don't guess that will be needed now...

Kraig

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal