shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#430248 - 18/02/04 12:26 PM 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

i understand in 2002 the redesigned the rear end of the X and took out some of the Leafs in the spring pack. is this true?

With those of you riding on a 2002+ with shackles do you have any regrets? Is the ride really bouncy or is it sagging? i plan on towing a little but its just a Boston Whaler, not a heavy boat. i would also like to get new shocks in the back that are at least 10% stiffer than stock... i basically am looking for first hand knowledge on this products pros and cons from experience...

i know this is talked about a lot, and i did search, but nothing really answered these questions as much as i would like.

Thank you for any thoughts..

#430249 - 18/02/04 10:46 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Ruger1022 Offline

Loc: Visalia, CA
I'll let you know in a bit, just installed my shackles tonight. My friend and I installed his last week, I liked them enough that I got my own. He thinks the ride is stiffer, I'm not sure yet. I'll be getting an alignment and some T-bar cranking tomorrow, so I'll report on the whole experience.
MV

#430250 - 19/02/04 06:04 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Do the Mod...it's a real good inexpensive way to lift your X a good 1-1/2" to 2" with some bigger Tires.... Pic of the Shackles

Pic w/shackles and T-Bar crank

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#430251 - 19/02/04 06:24 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by boognight:
i understand in 2002 the redesigned the rear end of the X and took out some of the Leafs in the spring pack. is this true?
I never heard that anywhere. I am interested to know if that is true also.

#430252 - 19/02/04 06:51 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by lincolnnellie:
Quote:
[b]i understand in 2002 the redesigned the rear end of the X and took out some of the Leafs in the spring pack. is this true?
I never heard that anywhere. I am interested to know if that is true also.[/b]
True...they went from 3 leaves+overload to 2 leaves+overload.

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#430253 - 19/02/04 10:32 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rickster43- the way your X looks right now, is the way i want mine to look... same mods. i cant exactly get new tires yet, i just would feel like crap getting rid of barely used crappers... hopefully it will be put together soon...

does anyone know why they lowered the spring pack?

Im pretty sure i am going to buy these soon, should i also plan on getting new shocks at the same time, or can that wait a couple months? i would assume i have to get larger shocks, am i wrong? any adjustment to the sway bar? how hard is the install?

thanks for all the good info guys.. very helpful to hear your input. Ruger1022 good luck with the install, tell us what you think...

thanks
conor

#430254 - 19/02/04 10:45 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
...Rickster43- the way your X looks right now, is the way i want mine to look... same mods. i cant exactly get new tires yet, i just would feel like crap getting rid of barely used crappers... hopefully it will be put together soon...

I was like that too when I decided to get some brand new tires...but luckily one of my co-worker's needed some tires on his truck...and the Grabber's just happened to be the same size of tires that he needed...so I decided to sell my old Grabber's to him and I got the BFG's...we just did a "swap" of tires on the same day they installed mine...

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#430255 - 19/02/04 10:55 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Im pretty sure i am going to buy these soon, should i also plan on getting new shocks at the same time, or can that wait a couple months? i would assume i have to get larger shocks, am i wrong? any adjustment to the sway bar? how hard is the install?
You can wait on the shocks w/ no problem. The sway bar needs no adjustment, and both the shocks and shackles are very easy to install.

Here are the part numbers for 4wd:
Front - F4-B46-1099-H2
Rear - F4-BE3-6422-H0
Rear (longer version) - F4-B46-2126-H0

I think you can use the regular length rear shocks on either stock xterras or those w/ AAL's only (because you aren't getting any extra droop w/ AALs), but you need the longer version if you add shackles, because you will have more droop.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

#430256 - 20/02/04 08:40 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Here is the end result with torsion bar adjust and shackles on my Xterra

Before:

After:

#430257 - 20/02/04 10:05 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did the shackles on my 00 and I can't belive how much I like the little bit of lift I have now. Just remember that once you start to lift your X, it is worst then crack. All you do is think about how much more lift you want and how you are going to afford it.

#430258 - 20/02/04 12:17 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I thought that shakles would eventually sag making the AAL a better choice? Also, how long can you expect your torsion bars to last or should those be upgraded?

I think I might do this mod inbetween my stock ride height and 3" lift in order to knock out some more payments on the X before sinking $1500 into it.

Adding:
AAL
Idle Arm Brace
SS
Tbar Crank
Keeping stock shocks

#430259 - 20/02/04 01:59 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
I went with the AAL's instead of the shackles right now with a T-crank..But the ride isn't all that bad till I put the swampers on..The Swampers are such a stiff tire that the ride quality went to shit...

#430260 - 20/02/04 03:25 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
Bottom line is, I went with the shackles because they were cheaper... probably not the smartest thing, but I plan on buying the rest of the lift and steering system within the year, so, I don't think anything should suffer too much in that time.

#430261 - 23/02/04 01:53 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

That is the same reason that I went with the shackles first. I will get the AALs when I can afford to get the t-bars and UCA to go with them.

#430262 - 23/02/04 05:28 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

i am going to get aal's for my ride (anyone know which ones are the best to buy???) -- i am also going to do the t-bar crank...(same question...) furthermore, is it hard to get the front end to be level w/ the rear?? by-the-way, how much lift can i get out of cranking them up? ..i really want it to be only 1.5" anyway, which is what i think calmini advertises regarding their aal's... thanks!! ---> hey, after cranking the t-bars, is their camber adjustment needed?? any experience that you can hand down i appreciate it. thx!

Edit: There, that's almost better

#430263 - 23/02/04 05:58 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 03granite:
i am going to get aal's for my ride (anyone know which ones are the best to buy???) -- i am also going to do the t-bar crank...(same question...) furthermore, is it hard to get the front end to be level w/ the rear?? by-the-way, how much lift can i get out of cranking them up? ..i really want it to be only 1.5" anyway, which is what i think calmini advertises regarding their aal's... thanks!! ---> hey, after cranking the t-bars, is their camber adjustment needed?? any experience that you can hand down i appreciate it. thx!

Edit: There, that's almost better
This is your second try? confused Reading it makes my head hurt.

SLR has three leaves and the install is easier, but you may pay and never receive the aal's (search for more threads on SLR's reputation). If you crank the t-bars, you need an alignment. You shouldn't go up more than 1" to maybe 1.5" max on the front (even that may be pushing it - it depends on where they're set now, every X is different).

#430264 - 23/02/04 08:40 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks bud - HEY, is there any way to figure @ which point you should reach the 1"-1.5" mark?? & do you know what size tires will fit & look good under there & still be functional on the highway?? I am running the stocker XE (16X7)rims but looking to go to BFG all terrains. >Should I change the shocks too?? Thanks again.

#430265 - 24/02/04 08:17 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tire wise check out the tire forum - tons of info there. 265/75R16 BFG AT/KOs should fit nicely (that's what I have).

Do a search for bilstein and you'll find the part numbers you need for new shocks (bils are the best bet for an Xterra).

On the t-bars, just make sure you can still slide your index finger between the UCA and the bump-stop - if you go any higher you'll start to get a bouncy ride from hitting the bumpstops frequently.

#430266 - 24/02/04 05:48 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the info!! Anyone out there think its defintly worth changing the Torsion bars or leaving the stockers and just cranking them up?? What are the key benifits of the stiffer t-bars??

#430267 - 25/02/04 08:12 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
I'd really like to know who makes these shackles you guys have mentioned many times now?

#430268 - 25/02/04 08:19 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have Calmini, which are 1.5" over stock. SLR makes 1" and 2" shackles.

#430269 - 29/02/04 02:23 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've also been searching for a lot of the same info about the AALs. Seems to me the best one is Calamini's. They've got the best product and the best customer service.
You asked who's got the best torsion crank....I don't know if you know, but cranking up the torsion bars is something you just do in the driveway. There is a bolt that puts pressure on the torsion bar that will increase the load on it thus raising the vehicle.
Every vehicle will be a little different as far as how much lift you can get and how much cranking it will take. Crank the two sides equal amounts then test drive to settle the suspension and measure to see if the 2 sides are even. Crank until satisfied then take it in for an alignment cause the camber adjustments will be out of spec. Not in a dangerous way, but over time you will wear parts and tires if you don't get it aligned.
I haven't done this on an X since I don't have one (yet) but I did this on my '01 F150 with the same results. Its kind of a standard method.

#430270 - 01/03/04 09:10 AM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you guys for all the advice and person opinions, that was exactly what i wanted...

because of all your advice, i decided to go with the AAL's. they just seemed like more of an upgrade than the shackles. i dont mean to ruffle any feathers... but i think the AAL's will be better in the long term, in terms of not sagging, and they also improve the payload, which is a problem for me even with it bone stock.

so once again, thank you for the help... any advice on the install?

#430271 - 01/03/04 06:23 PM Re: 2002+ with shackles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, I know a torsion crank is not something you can buy... I was simply asking if anyone thought it was worth buying upgraded t-bars & cranking them up or just leaving stockers and cranking them up??? I only want the best but am not willing to lift the truck ...yet

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal