shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 60 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431373 - 28/09/03 08:50 PM An odd break...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
After pulling into our camping spot this weekend, and starting to disconnect, I noticed that the end of the rear spindle bolt (yellow in the picture below) on the passenger side lower control arm was sheared off at the nut (green in the picture below). The nut and washer are somewhere on the dirt road to the campsite, or the highway.

The bushing was still intact though, and protruded as far as normal through the control arm. The back side of the spindle bolt is splined to match the torsion bar, and is prevented from sliding backward. I wheeled it like that all weekend and it held together although I'll be replacing it this week.

Just wondering if anyone else had broken one as I find it very odd. It's protected, and nothing can really hit it. One day it was there, the next, it wasn't.

#431374 - 29/09/03 07:50 AM Re: An odd break...
Sean Offline

Loc: Billerica, MA
Look at the bright side, it didn't stop you from wheeling! I'll have to check mine out when I get home (not that I go offroad anywhere near the amount of times you do). Do you plan on changing out ALL of the lower control arm bolts/nuts, or just replacing the broken one? Will you use stock replacements or something stronger (if available)?

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site

#431375 - 29/09/03 08:18 AM Re: An odd break...
XOC Offline
Admin

I'll just be replacing the broken bolt, since I'm sure it will be $100 or so (if it's cheap, I'll pick up a spare).

It has a splined head, so I doubt there is anything available on the aftermarket.

#431376 - 29/09/03 09:26 AM Re: An odd break...
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Where did you get that schematic from?

#431377 - 29/09/03 01:07 PM Re: An odd break...
XOC Offline
Admin

Service manual.

#431378 - 29/09/03 01:21 PM Re: An odd break...
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
That is some weird shit Ian. You always break stuff first. [Finger]

#431379 - 29/09/03 02:56 PM Re: An odd break...
Ag_xterra Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
i've had to remove that bolt to replace one of the 2 smaller torsion bar anchor bolts. that bolt is a pain in the ass to remove. spray down with rust penetrant days in advance, have heat ready because you will probably need to use everything you have to remove it. its a pain!!! my xterra was only 1 year old when i had to remove mine and it was still hard.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal