shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 108 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#431380 - 09/06/02 04:10 PM Torsion bars for Dummies - anyone got this book? SLR question
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
I'm trying to install the SLR Stage III. I'm at the torsion bar stage and need some help. The instructions say that the bars are marked L or R on the back. Mine only say 28 on one end. There's no other markings. Which is the back? Also, the directions say to make a note as to the position of the T-bar fingers. What are these? Even my Haynes manual doesn't mention fingers. Are they the piece that the adjusting bolts go through? I also have two things that look like a knob with a screw - anyone know what they are for?

#431381 - 09/06/02 05:03 PM Re: Torsion bars for Dummies - anyone got this book? SLR question
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Look in this forum for a thread called "Closeups of Torsion Bar Install" for pictures if that'll help...

The "fingers" are probably just that - the part of the rear anchor where the adjuster bolts go through. While you've got them out, clean the threads and lightly grease the entire bolt.

As for the L/R markings, you've checked both ends of each bar? There might just be one bar marked - which was the case, IIRC with my recent install. I forgot which way the stampings go... Brent or Synchro - someone had an illustrated HOWTO with that info. Check http://4x4lo.com under "Mods" also.

#431382 - 09/06/02 08:56 PM Re: Torsion bars for Dummies - anyone got this book? SLR question
InfX708 Offline

Loc: Ft. Bragg, NC
My t-bars are identical. I looked them both over - can't find anything to differentiate them. Guess I'm gonna have to call SLR tomorrow.

#431383 - 09/06/02 09:41 PM Re: Torsion bars for Dummies - anyone got this book? SLR question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
The torsion bars are identical because they have never been installed. If you have to remove them in the future, always make sure they go back in the same way. You can mark them then with a dab of paint or a permanent marker.

A torsion bar has no idea if it is left or right, until it has spent time in a truck.

#431384 - 10/06/02 09:50 AM Re: Torsion bars for Dummies - anyone got this book? SLR question
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
A torsion bar has no idea if it is left or right, until it has spent time in a truck.
It seems that t-bars from SLR are that way.

FYI: To those who bought SWAY-A-WAY t-bars from whomever, SWAY-A-WAY t-bars for Xterra are NOT interchangeable according to SWAY-A-WAY. Make sure that you install R and L correctly as they should be stamped.

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal