2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432470 - 06/05/02 03:14 PM Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
Lifeboat Offline

Loc: Orygun
Hi all, been reading the board for a couple of months and have gotten a lot of good information that has helped me decide on what mods to make, etc. So, first off, thanks for all the great info.

I've had my X for a couple of months now, I'm very happy with it for the most part. I traded a '95 Pathfinder for it, and previously I have owned a '74 Cherokee, and a '69 Landcrusher.

Here is my question: I just installed a full set of the Bilsteins, OE replacement, with F4-BE3-6422-H0 in the rear. They improved the handling a lot, especially combined with the Sway Away t-bars, which ought to be standard eqp IMO. My only complaint is that the ride quality has gotten much worse (mostly in back). Speed bumps that were absorbed smoothly with the stock shocks now result in a jarring thud from the rear (almost like bottoming out), and washboard surfaces are also jarring compared to the stockers. This doesn't seem to match up with the experience of others' that I have read on the board, so I'm wondering what the problem might be... Could it have something to do with the weaker spring pack on the '02, or is there something else I am missing? Would AAL help? I rescued the stockers from the dumpster as soon as I felt the Bilsteins, and so I am thinking about putting them back on if I can't get this corrected. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

#432471 - 06/05/02 05:54 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
XID_dup1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
I recently went with the Bilstein 10% stiffer in the front and the extended shocks in back and have noticed a big improvment in how the X rides. The X corners better, not as much roll and on washboard roads I don't feel the bumps as much as I did before. Same goes for speed bumps, the X seems to take those better as well.

You might want to talk to the shop you bought them from and see if you can get them swapped out.

Andy

#432472 - 06/05/02 08:53 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
Lifeboat Offline

Andy, you said the rears are extended, do you have a lift?

#432473 - 07/05/02 08:26 AM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
If you have extended travel shocks in back *without* a lift you could be bottoming out (topping out?) the shocks whenever the the suspension moves up.

dave and xtoy - the shocks won't like that

#432474 - 07/05/02 04:47 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
Lifeboat Offline

The shocks are standard length, and I don't have a lift or any mods to the rear at all.

#432475 - 07/05/02 06:20 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
I also have the OE replacement bilsteins and dont think the on road performance is very special.

I dont drive like a 17 year old so the front droop on braking was never an issue. On road I would say the ride is stiffer on small bumps and actually less comfortable. If you hit a big bump though, its very different, the vehicle doesn't feel like it will fall apart. Also if you hit a highway expansion joint on a bend, the vehicle hops sideays much less now.

Off road the shocks are very good, bouncing is much reduced.

I don't regret buyng the shocks, but I also don't believe the 'smooth as butter' descriptions that abound on XOC.

#432476 - 07/05/02 06:42 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by lemsip:
...Also if you hit a highway expansion joint on a bend, the vehicle hops sideays much less now.

Off road the shocks are very good, bouncing is much reduced.
Bingo! I have the steering stabilizer (from SLR) as well, and between all these things - and the upcoming t-bars... The on/off-road handling is very much improved. Not all Earth-shattering, but cumulatively, they really do make a HUGE difference.

#432477 - 08/05/02 03:31 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
Lifeboat Offline

I guess the "smooth as butter" was what I expected, based on a lot of the comments here. I'll get used to the ride after a while I suppose.

As far as t-bars goes, I have to say they are a great investment. Cut the body roll and braking nosedive down by probably half, improved the handling, and had no ill effects on the ride. I did the bars before the shocks, in prep for an ARB (if it ever gets here) and winch. I would recommend the bars regardless of any added weight up front, they are just that big of an improvement.

Can anyone offer experience on the difference between stock leafs w/ Bilsteins and AAL w/ Bilsteins?

#432478 - 08/05/02 06:21 PM Re: Newbie intro + question on Bilstein ride quality...
XID_dup1 Offline

Loc: Phoenix,AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Lifeboat:
Andy, you said the rears are extended, do you have a lift?
I have the SLR shackels, which are a 2" lift in the rear.

I can't speak for the AAL/Bilstein combo, but I've been happy with the shackel/Bilstein combo. I just ran a trail last weekend where the improved departure angle really came in handy. Prior to doing my upgrades I couldn't climb up this obstacle, the trailer hitch would dig into the rocks. I also noticed that some sections of the trail where I would end up "3-wheeling", I now had all 4 wheels planted on the ground.

Andy

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal