shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#432519 - 17/10/04 11:52 AM Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
After spending some time with Spencer Low, finalizing a deal and checking out his truck in person at the Off-Road Expo I've decided to go ahead with a new,long travel front suspension.

My truck is leaving for Arizona today for a little vacation and should be back by the end of the week.

The highlights will include:

Frame gusseting

All New , longer center link
w/pitman arm, idler arm and longer tie rods

Billett upper controll arms 2 1/2 inches wider

Boxed lower controll arms 2 1/2 inches wider

Spindle extentions

Billstein 9020 resevoir shocks

Billstein Hydrolic bump stops

Everything , with the exception of the shock hoops are completely bolt on using the OE pivot points.

SLR makes outstanding products for the pre-runner and 2wd trucks and I am fully looking foreward to my new truck!

#432520 - 17/10/04 12:35 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

How much longer travel are they talking about? Does it include shafts?

#432521 - 17/10/04 12:42 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
socalpunx Offline

Shafts? You mean axle shafts or cvs? confused

It's a 2wd . Yep, I drive a minivan.

12-13inches of useable travel. I opted to stay with torsion bars using the Sway-a-ways instead of coils in the attempt of keeping as close to a factory configuration as I could. Less sprung weight and I just couldn't get my head arround the fact that my truck would be completely supported by a welden on shock hoop.

#432522 - 17/10/04 01:03 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds like it will be a pretty badass outfit - post a lot of pics when its done. [ThumbsUp]

#432523 - 17/10/04 01:16 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry Socal, I thought it was a 4x. I was thinking of the cv's.

A prerunner X would be cool though!

We have a customer that wants us to put a locker in his new Titan. He bought it before the factory locker was available. He's been to SoCal a couple of times, and to Baja once. But keeps getting stuck. So I think I'll be putting in the Detroit E-Trac for him. Should be cool.

Definately interested in seeing the results of your project. Should be saweet!

#432524 - 17/10/04 03:43 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sounds close to what I am running now. Looks like the only major difference is in the T-bars vs. the Coil-Overs. You are going to love the LT suspension. We need to go on a run when you are ready. I have a great place if you don't mind a little drive.

#432525 - 17/10/04 03:44 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclemut:

A prerunner X would be cool though!

Been there done that. laugh

#432526 - 19/10/04 11:42 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
socalpunx Offline

Well, we're at the point of no return. I'm pretty damn excited.

Step one: Remove everything.

#432527 - 19/10/04 12:12 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
babyX Offline

[Huh?] Holy bald X, batman! Looks kinda like a pickup with one of those ill-fitting bed toppers. laugh

Nice.

#432528 - 19/10/04 04:59 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

SoCal, It looks like you've got the fiberglass fenders.. Are they SLR or the 4x4parts set? From the earlier pics it looks like SLR still has the small trim piece to the rear of the wheel, and the 4x4parts fenders do not.

#432529 - 19/10/04 05:10 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
socalpunx Offline

If what you are pointing out is the narrow section between the front doors and the fender, they both have them. From what I understand, the SLR Fiberglass and AC are both from Hanniman.

Now for the good stuff.

Got Arms? 1st mockup.

Day 2 .

#432530 - 19/10/04 05:58 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Good stuff up front smile going to do something about those rear springs?

Now that Editor and you will soon have full on prerunners were going to have a smack down run wink

Just made a deal for a used 85' GW D44 axle I'm going to use on my newly acquired Black Hawk 2k X. It's going to be Jan before I get around to my build but with the eventual fox coilover's I may just give you two a run for your money. [LOL] Although we might have to handicap Editor w/ the SC.

Seriously we're doing a Mojave Rd run 11/20-21 and we could get you stuck laugh if you want to test it out?

Brian

#432531 - 21/10/04 09:26 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xtoolbox:
Now that Editor and you will soon have full on prerunners were going to have a smack down run wink
Sure why not. Could be fun.
Quote:

Just made a deal for a used 85' GW D44 axle I'm going to use on my newly acquired Black Hawk 2k X. It's going to be Jan before I get around to my build but with the eventual fox coilover's I may just give you two a run for your money. [LOL] Although we might have to handicap Editor w/ the SC.

Brian
Hmmm...Ok, I won't use 5th. wink

#432532 - 21/10/04 10:03 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
socalpunx Offline

Progress. Moving right along...

Oh and Ed, go ahead and use 5th. You'll need it. laugh

Shocks and bumps ....everything set up..just needs paint and powdercoat and final install.

#432533 - 21/10/04 11:07 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Oh and Ed, go ahead and use 5th. You'll need it. laugh
Riiiiiight. :p

#432534 - 21/10/04 05:01 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nice work...

#432535 - 21/10/04 08:26 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Good stuff up front smile going to do something about those rear springs?
I'm thinking of using a Frontier rear housing, as it's already spring over. I think a set of All Pro Offroad Orbit Eye rear springs should do the trick. But, may forgo the Frontier housing, as it may prove too high of lift in the rear. Will have to eyeball the driveline before that swap.

Quote:
Just made a deal for a used 85' GW D44 axle I'm going to use on my newly acquired Black Hawk 2k X....

Brian
I'm planning a trip after Halloween for my D44 hunt. We have a nice Pic 'N Pull around here. Sweet deals on just about anything. Are you planning on the Calmini kit, or doing it yourself?

#432536 - 22/10/04 11:57 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Xtoolbox Offline

Loc: Torrance, CA
Ok its awn then, let the smack down begin laugh if you guys can use 5th gear in the dirt then that's something I just have to check out [ThumbsUp] On a tight/twisty course I think I might have a chance [Spit] but out in the open on the whoops I dunno?

Cycle,

Yeah I like the AP Johnny Joint Shackle Mount design where you weld the mount to the frame.

I was also thinking about some sort of drop shackle. The nth degree Zig-Zag… combo track bar and slider shackle system looks promising to me and works really well on Rick's CJ. A SYE and new CV drive shaft would be need for this option IMO www.nthdegreemobility.com

I figure I could use my stock X rear & weld on the spring perches, plus new plates, shock mounts if the only kit that's offered is SUA and I end up going SOA. My SAS 90 Pathy is SOA F&R, the rear stock drive shaft/angle is ok even with the RE 1.5” lift reverse eye spring + 1.5” lift shackles. I want to run 35's on the X and have less of a lift so I figure 7-8” of lift with flat rear springs is doable with a SOA. I'm waiting to see what CALMINI comes up with the SUA & longer spring designs but I will be using their kit for the front for sure.

The '85 grand axle seems a bit more beefy to me than my 83' standard waggy I have on the pathy and is ~ 1” wider so that should help match the wider X rear (~63 WMS) better.

BTW is it possible to use rear Ring & Pinion Gears from early 90's WD21 (Pathy/HB) V6's in newer H233b 3rd members like the X has? If the ring bolts are the same (12mm) is there anything other mods/parts that are needed?

[edited to fixed my typo]
Brian

#432537 - 22/10/04 07:00 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's a good question. I hadn't considered the possibility of that. If so, then Nismo has a Detroit Locker for the rear for the D21. I'll have to look into that (woo hoo! another junk yard trip!).

I had forgotten the Nth Degree guys. I saw their setup in Moab, but didn't consider it for the X at all. I think they'd have to build a one off, correct? I think the Orbit Eye would still be needed for the front of the spring though. You could go with the Revolver shackle, get about 1" of lift with that, but still have the problem of the front of the spring twisting. Many possilities for sure.

I looked at the perches on the X tonight, and see your point about reusing them. Cut the welds front and back, reweld them on top. That would be much more cost effective.

Nice ideas. Definately outside the box. (did I just freakin' say that?!)

#432538 - 22/10/04 07:10 PM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Why would you want to use early-90's (W)D21 gears in a late-model (W)D22 diff?
They should work, as far as I know the only difference isn't the gears themselves, but in the OD of the pinion bearings.
Either way, the Nismo Detroit locker for a D21 still wouldn't work. The late-model 33-spline axle shafts won't go into a 31-spline D21 unit, gears not withstanding.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#432539 - 26/10/04 12:41 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Strom Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Any updates, Socal?

#432540 - 26/10/04 08:39 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
[b]Oh and Ed, go ahead and use 5th. You'll need it. laugh
Riiiiiight. :p [/b]
David,

Hows it coming along? Got the rear leafs done? fenders?

#432541 - 26/10/04 09:17 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by WolfmanX:
Hows it coming along? Got the rear leafs done? fenders?
Good. The new leaf pack and the bilsteins go into the rear tomorrow night. Then it's off to SEMA. We are taking a route through the desert on the way back to So. Cal. Wanna come?

#432542 - 26/10/04 10:21 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Editor X:
Quote:
[b]Hows it coming along? Got the rear leafs done? fenders?
Good. The new leaf pack and the bilsteins go into the rear tomorrow night. Then it's off to SEMA. We are taking a route through the desert on the way back to So. Cal. Wanna come?[/b]
I guess I could strap that skateboard to my truck again and drive it out there [Too much XOC]

When is it anyway? SEMA is the reason Skid-Row is taking almost a month or more to get the rest of my bumper to me. not like it matters really, but still. :rolleyes:

#432543 - 26/10/04 10:31 AM Re: Suspension going under the knife....W/ NEW PICS!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

When is it anyway? SEMA is the reason Skid-Row is taking almost a month or more to get the rest of my bumper to me. not like it matters really, but still. :rolleyes:
If you can make it out there by Sat the 6th we are leaving Vegas by 10:30. I'd go Friday and see the show though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SvenDog 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal